Web Site Feedback Please

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by adeleuk, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adeleuk

adeleuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Hi
    Adele here, still new to the forums but thought I would ask for help and advice of people are who are willing to offer it please?
    I have set up and designed my own company web site at
    www.phoenix-life-coaching.co.uk
    I used Microsoft Front Page which I am very comfortable with having used it for years with my personal site. I know Front Page is not always popular with professional web designers but it works for me.
    However the site is meant as an online brochure hopefully to attract clients and generate business.
    I have registered it with most of the UK search engines that still accept manual submission but as yet it does not show up on many of them.
    I would like people to give their oppinion of how the site looks and works for them as they view it.
    The main things I am looking for feedback on are the overall impression of the site, whether the information makes sense and is clear and most importantly if you were looking for a coach would it prompt you to contact me.
    Also the home page, I have had constructive comments from one or two members on the forums but really would like more comments if possible before I start changing it.
    I have an enhanced listing going live with Yell.com on the first of August and really need to ensure the site is likely to generate business in the future.
    One last request, can anyone with experience of pay for click let me know their opinions on the system, whether it worked or works for them and if it is worth the costs that Overture charge.
    Thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 By: adeleuk Member since: Jul 23, 2004
  2. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 3
    OK, here are my views - I'll try not to be too harsh! :)

1) Get rid of the scrolling on the homepage - it screams amateur designer and most users find it irritating.

2) Get rid of the Bravenet counter - again very amateurish.

3) Dump the animated Enter button and use a text link instead - it doesn't work properly and some search engines won't be able to go any further.

4) There is some interesting information on the site, but try using Verdana or Arial as a font instead of Times New Roman - it looks smarter and you want to create a professional image.

5) Your contact form doesn't check to see whether anything has been filled in - I clicked on the Submit button without filling in anything and it thanked me for my sending my enquiry!

6) Your News page has no dates on it - if it's to be fresh news, the news needs to be dated. Also, remove the line that says "The site is now hosted on its own web space, courtesy of Names Co." - again it detracts from your image as a professional.

One point I would like to make is that the service you are offering is a personal one - it is generally accepted that with such services clients are unlikely to contact you as a result of seeing an ad or your website - they're more likely to use you because they like and trust you so you will probably need to get out and meet people, rather than spend money on search engine advertising.

Hope that helps!

Gary

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  3. Guest

0 0
    Initial impressions are quite good.

I would have the scrolling text stationary and get rid of the hits counter from the home page (no one really uses hit counters any more). Your web host should provide you with some traffic analysis packages. They should at least let you download your logs and there are plenty of free log analysers available to download.

From a search engine point of view frames aren't particularly helpful. If you insist on using them then make sure that you include a site map or something similar in your <noframes> tag so that the search engines can find all of your content.

Make sure each page has an accurate title in the meta information. Your home page is currently 'new page 1', which won't help either customers or search engines.

With regards to PPC I'd recommend using Google Adwords as their ads are carried on more search engines. As an additional promotion tool have you considered joining www.ecademy.com . There seem to be a few life coaches on there so it may prove useful for you.

Adi

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. adeleuk

12 0
    Hi Gary

Thank you for your quick reply to my original post and I welcome your comments which were not too harsh, its feedback like this that I was looking for.

5. adeleuk

12 0
    Hi Gary

Thank you for your quick reply to my original post and I welcome your comments which were not too harsh, its feedback like this that I was looking for.

6. adeleuk

12 0
    Hi Adi

Initial impressions are quite good.

Thank you. :)

I would have the scrolling text stationary and get rid of the hits counter from the home page (no one really uses hit counters any more). Your web host should provide you with some traffic analysis packages. They should at least let you download your logs and there are plenty of free log analysers available to download.

have made changes already, can you suggest a good log analyser?

From a search engine point of view frames aren't particularly helpful. If you insist on using them then make sure that you include a site map or something similar in your <noframes> tag so that the search engines can find all of your content.

I did wonder about frames so will remove them and see how it looks.

Make sure each page has an accurate title in the meta information. Your home page is currently 'new page 1', which won't help either customers or search engines.

Oops had better check that out

With regards to PPC I'd recommend using Google Adwords as their ads are carried on more search engines. As an additional promotion tool have you considered joining www.ecademy.com . There seem to be a few life coaches on there so it may prove useful for you.

Thanks for this advice and the url for eacademy, will look at this.

Kind regards

7. Guest

0 0
    Posted: Jul 27, 2004 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  8. adeleuk

12 0
    Hi Adi

Thanks for the info

Kind Regards