Web Development Discussion

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by v1technologies, Jan 28, 2021.

1. v1technologies

v1technologies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,
    I am a PHP developer. I have over 3 years of experience in this field. Now I want to drive my career in freelancing. Can anyone suggest to me, from where I get the client for developing a website?

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 By: v1technologies Member since: Jul 26, 2013
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,002 10,098
    Advertising works well. Or you can bid for work on freelancer sites.

However, php will only get you so far. You need JS for a good UX.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,861 448
    Freelancing sites are problematic because you cannot get much work until you have a rating and a track record on the site.

Most small sites do not require a lot of JS. You rarely actually "need". I use Noscript and most sites work fine without it and load faster - maybe they would be better if they did not use JS at all?

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,096 984
    We, as a business, gain around 20% of our income from building websites.

We gain our clients by advertising, by networking, and from our own website. Obviously, many years on, most of our business is referral or repeat business, but the above still generate valuable revenues.

We have never taken work from freelancing sites.

As a start up, I would build my own site (you might have already done this) and get stuck into talking to people about it on social media. And I would talk to some local businesses.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,002 10,098
    Try building an ecommerce site without JS. Or a contact form with real time validation.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,861 448
    @fisicx I said "not a lot of JS" not "no JS".

I will build an eommerce site without JS if someone is willing to pay me for the time required :)

HTML5 provides quite a lot validation without requiring JS. email and phone number input types and required name and message fields would be enough for a basic contact form.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. HippoHost

HippoHost UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7 0
    When I was a freelance developer I used to use Upwork (with UK only jobs selected) and found it was better than sites like Fiverr and they were mostly businesses and larger projects had less competition. Still wasn't amazing though, you do need to get some form of a reputation on there. Personally, I always prefer a discussion with a potential client rather than submitting a faceless application to I wasn't a fan of this method.

I found most of my business for web design by contacting local businesses and word of mouth. For PHP development, mostly via online business forums and forums related to the niche I was involved in. I found it a lot more difficult than normal web designing as most small businesses don't require PHP development and the larger players tend to go for companies or internal developers rather than freelance individuals.

Find a particular area of PHP development your best at (ie. eCommerce) and roll with it, I found a niche was a great starting place as word of mouth spread faster.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: HippoHost Member since: Feb 10, 2021
  8. computerbeing

computerbeing UKBF Contributor Full Member

30 4
    Best to start with freelancer websites and you are bound to get long term clients if they are happy.

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 By: computerbeing Member since: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Macdonald

Macdonald UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Search for freelance sites where you can offer your services.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Macdonald Member since: Feb 17, 2021