Warehouse help

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by cs73, Jan 23, 2018.

1. cs73

cs73 UKBF Contributor Free Member

52 10
    My partner and I run a B2C ecommerce business and up to now have been running this from home. We are experiencing good year-on-year growth and are rapidly out-growing this, and are hence looking to move into our first warehouse soon. However neither of us have any experience of this, and were wondering if there is anyone within about an hour's drive of Reading, Berks who has an ecommerce business that runs from their own warehouse who would be willing to let us pop in for an hour or so to see how things are set-up. We are mainly interested in the physical location, so how to set up the different areas, picking and packing stations, generating and printing labels etc, to make sure that we do this in the most efficient way from the start.

Alternatively if anyone knows of any online resources that could give us some pointers that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 By: cs73 Member since: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,522 262
    I am not sure how confident you are and what you want - but you do nowadays getting people running things from short term storage places such as big yellow

It can be the next step up without signing leases etc

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

8,263 845
    We set our packing stations with the building limitations. Office side of things including printer in one area, the two packing stations at the sides (overloading electrics meant they could not be together) and the package storage area near the door. Most of the place set up for storage or incoming stock.

We have everything on shelving or pallets, with different suppliers stuff in different sections. So a glance at the order and we knew which section to look in.

Realistically you may find container / room storage being a cheaper step up from home.
    We operate from home and use container storage, probably use 3 or 4 large containers before it's going to be cost effective to get a thousand square foot warehouse.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. cs73

cs73 UKBF Contributor Free Member

52 10
    We looked in to one of these big yellow type storage places, but we want to move the whole business, including our office and both of us, out of the house and into a proper business location.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: cs73 Member since: Jan 21, 2014
  5. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,522 262
    Why ? I am not saying you are wrong - I am saying make sure you understand what and why

They are "proper" business locations

But if you want a more standard business location except what goes with them - and work out what you need/want for your business

No business is the same
    I am not saying you cannot learn as asked - but I would not have some randomer wandering my warehouse
    So maybe sit down and think about the work space and what you need

One tip I was given years ago was to make a scale set of items that you can move around
    I still keep it and have used it several times over the years

With 1foot = 1 cm - hey I am old school - and new

You then have bits of card that represent the fixtures and a grid that represents the warehouse and you move and shift around and play with real bits

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  6. Sam Drury

Sam Drury UKBF Contributor Free Member

63 10
    Our warehouse is some distance away so can't drop by, but the right software can save a lot of time, one which can arrange picks in order we saved a lot of time when we used our new software.

PM if you would like the details.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: Sam Drury Member since: Sep 15, 2017
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

8,263 845
    @Page - that is a good idea about the modelling.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. QMS

QMS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Hi - I work for a Fulfilment House which offers warehouse storage and order fulfilment. The warehouse is based in Guildford, Surrey so not too far from you. I am happy to provide you with details if you would like me to?

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 By: QMS Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Vardan 89

Vardan 89 UKBF Regular Full Member

174 12
    Can you pls share details and website for your Fulfillment House?

Thanks
    Darshan

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: Vardan 89 Member since: Aug 23, 2011
  10. QMS

QMS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Hi Darshan

Our website is Quantum Marketing Services in Godalming (sorry I can't yet post the website link) and you can give us a call on 01483 863 300. It is John Giles that you will need to speak to.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: QMS Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  11. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,420 1,912
    Many councils have 800-1500 square foot business premises with good lease terms for starter businesses

Also contact your local council they have a list of what industrial offices and warehouses etc are available from most landlords

You may also often find space above a shop that can be rented very cheaply if a upstairs office warehouse is not a prooblem

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  12. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

2,999 507
    Come on, be realistic, no one is going to let you do this are they?

It's like if a start-up competitor said to me can I come in to your office for an hour and disturb everyone while I steal all your secrets for an hour?

What you need to do is look at self-storage places like Easistore etc. They're great places to start an ecommerce business, they usually have free wifi, and you can do your packing in the unit, you can also expand and contract your unit as your stock levels change and only pay for what you use. Couriers are often also happy to deliver/collect from there.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  13. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

7,892 1,667
    Was just going to say this. We operate from the upper floors above shops and because this space of no interest to most businesses, the rent is really low and there are no business rates to pay. The ground floor entrance on a main road is useful to have for occasional opening, sales, promotions etc. and the small shop front useful for advertising the online businesses.
    We have looked several times at warehousing but that has always been more expensive.
    Plus being in a parade feels more secure. The industrial estates feel a bit lonely and deserted after dark or at weekends.
    There can also be issues with insurance because industrial units are targeted so often for break-ins. I know of two businesses in industrial units that were forced to close because thefts brought them to their knees.
    Just another idea worth considering.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  14. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

2,999 507
    You can do that.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010