want to start green / eco friendly web hosting company

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by UniHost2u, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UniHost2u

UniHost2u UKBF Contributor Full Member

35 3
    hello,
    i want to start green / eco friendly web hosting company.
    any one have any new good idea?
    please share here.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 By: UniHost2u Member since: Mar 3, 2017
  2. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,371 166
    You mean to say Green eco friendly datacenter ? Or just web hosting company offering servers from such eco friendly DC?

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  3. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

596 152
    I have seen a few of these over the years and must say I don't think the idea is that great. Most people who deal with hosting directly are on the technical side and their primary motivation is cost/performance not eco credentials.

There are also very few ways of making something genuinely green as servers use lots of power along with hardware that is made of various materials that are non-ecofriendly. This leaves you with things like planting trees etc which is something a client can do themselves if they care that much about the environment.

Would be interested to see how you make this competitive?

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  4. Edith@TerraNetwork

[email protected] UKBF Regular Free Member

158 32
    The main task will be to friendly a suitable data centre which uses renewable energy.

The "tree planting offset" I personally find a scam, but I guess it's another option, along the lines of "for every x server we plant Y trees per year".

Hosting is hugely energy consuming, so this will be the main issue to tackle.

PS: I'm aware of hosting providers using "green" credentials but in my 15 years in business I've never had a client asking about it. So be careful in how you will handle the premium price. Hosting is very price sensitive.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 By: [email protected] Member since: Feb 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.