Very slow internet speed

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Mark T Jones, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,266 952
    Thanks all. lots of food for thought

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  2. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,913 2,154
    I presume that you have eliminated internal potential bottlenecks? I used to get poor speed and fixed it when I moved the router and connected it direectly to the BT master box. It was the internal wireing in the house that was the problem.

If you cannot get fibre (which is the best solution) then look at which provider has their own equipment in the exchange. In my local town TalkTalk have their equipment in the exchange and ordinary broadband using them was significantly faster than the other providers.

Then, if there is no clear advantage over quality of equipment, go for a good provider like Zen.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  3. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

533 81
    That's when my alarm bells start ringing. If somebody would be competent enough to do that, they would have advised you accordingly why your speeds are so slow.

In all fairness this is the wrong forum for such problems as uploading log files and trouble shooting can be complicated. You did not provide any information in regards to the service level you bought from Vodafone. If that's for ADSL2 in a rural area it would not be that bad. It all comes down on a cooper based phone cable where your exchange is based. Let's assume you have only ADSL2

The “slow internet speed” of your ADSL line is directly affected by attenuation. Unluckily, you can do nothing about a low attenuation figure, except from moving to a new location closer to the ADSL exchange.

If the person reliable informed you that your most likely free supplied budget router he would have shown shown you the dB's value.

Would you mind sharing with us that number?

Also, basic trouble shooting is going straight for master socket but check if it has an adsl filter build in or not hook up a proper modem e.G draytek, cisco and start from there.

side note, I am with TT Business on their 80/20 12 meters away from street fibre exchange and get 82/21 @ 24/7 . Why am I getting it? From the street fibre cabinet my signal only has to travel 12m to my modem and I am the first in line leeching on it.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  4. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Mostly way over my head, I'm afraid, but there might be some questions in there to ask.

However, what I do now know is:

- It is fibre, but not ultrafast
    - EE have indicated their speed should be 31

I'm happy to invest in sorting this, but really need to know what type of service/person I need to be consulting with?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

533 81
    Ideally you want a tech or whatever subcontractor Vodafone will send your way.

He will come out and check the street fibre connection and he will measure the connection between the street cabinet and your master socket in your house.

If you can see him working great, have a friendly chat with him and watch the numbers coming in from his table.

If both turn out fine your problems lies within your house after the master socket. If it is within your house a decent IT person should be able to measure sure it with basic gear.

If you are really on fibre 5mb is quite slow but on adsl it would be fair.

To answer that question post the full modem router name model + number to see what you actual have there.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  6. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,913 2,154
    These things can be investigated step by step.

First eliminate the easy things. Is your router connected to the BT master socket? If not and there is a long run from the master socket to your router, then this is most likely your problem. The fibre signal does not like long runs in a house with all its likely electrical interference.

With your router connected to the master socket, and a PC or laptop connected to the router BY WIRE, do a speedtest. If it is still 5 or lower then you either have a router problem or the problem is outside your house.

Do these two steps first before detailing the router make and model.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  7. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Hi All - back again:)

Turns out EE were a bit wrong in their estimates and have redefined the area as 'very slow'. <5 gig

There is fibre to cabinet, however as we speak there are people up telegraph poles installing fibre; so I guess the question is whether there is any way to discover if/when this will get to our property?

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    All Internet providers in the UK are signed up to one of two schemes - either CISAS (Communication & Internet Services Adjudication Schemes) or the Communications Ombudsman.

After an eight week period, if your provider does not provide a satisfactory resolution, you can mae a complaint to the relevant scheme. Once you make contact with either scheme, you need to complete a form to kick-start the process. This form enables you to describe your situation and outline the remedy you are seeking. The scheme will then pursue the operator on your behalf.

In addition, it would be desirable that you make any records of verbal and written communication with Vodafone available to the scheme.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019