VAT Receipts

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Falkirk300zx, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx UKBF Contributor Free Member

55 2
    Hi all,

Tonight I went to my local Tesco's and bought a few things for my business but when I got to the till and asked for a VAT reciept, I was told that Tesco don't do them anymore!

The on-duty manager told me the same, Tesco did them at customer services but not anymore and the till receipt does not have the VAT number on it.

I said thanks but no thanks and left the store without my goods! Yes, more pride etc etc as I really need at least one of the items I bought!!:mad:

I thought you had to produce a VAT receipt with certain things on it under VAT rules like VAT number, Company name, VAT breakdown and VAT rate etc etc.

Any one else had a similar experience? Or has your accountant accepted receipts without this info and are H&M ok about this?

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
  2. Zeno

Zeno UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,501 1,223
    It's a difficult one. You can demand a VAT receipt and in theory Tesco are legally obliged to supply one however it will most likely involve writing to a head office. With enough time & effort expended you will probably get one...

Unfortunately, HMRC are known to make an issue of this therefore it is a risk if you claim the VAT anyway. You do get half decent VAT inspectors who understand these things happen but you equally get pedantic little sods who will disallow it (Just because they can probably). I assume the reason they do not take the issue up with Tesco and other major companies who do this is because of deep pockets and expensive lawyers.

Perhaps the simplest way is not to buy from Tescos.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 By: Zeno Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  3. Falkirk300zx

55 2
    I thought as much!

As I said I never bought the items and although needed the blank CDs for tonight, I went home and just used one there.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Zeno

4,501 1,223
    You have to be pretty careful with this. PC World for instance do not give you a valid VAT receipt unless you specifically ask for one. Few realise this is the case until the VAT inspector tells them (in the absence of finding anything else, this lets them claw something back).

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 By: Zeno Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Spongebob

Spongebob UKBF Ace Free Member

2,158 1,086
    I was always taught that you should plant a few tit-bits for the VAT inspector to find; a couple of your wife's petrol receipts, a family meal at a Beefeater - that sort of thing.

Then he can go away happy, raising an assessment for thirty quid or so, without digging too deeply.

If he doesn't find anything, he'll just keep looking...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    Posted: Dec 1, 2009 By: Spongebob Member since: Dec 9, 2008
  6. Richard231

Richard231 Guest

88 11
    You say that, but I've just passed 4 on the trot for one client! The one before that I was got for £1.37 :(

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: Richard231 Member since: Nov 28, 2009
  7. Rusty

Rusty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

569 111
    It maybe only the policy in your branch of Tescos or it has changed really recently but I bought ink and printing paper 4 weeks ago in our Tesco and they gave me a VAT receipt at the customer service desk.

Kerry

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: Rusty Member since: May 6, 2006
  8. Zeno

4,501 1,223
    Assuming we are talking about the Tescos in the retail park in Falkirk, it would surprise me if the staff there could spell VAT but I digress.

I suspect that it is simply easier for them to tell the customer that they don't know how to do it therefore it can't be done rather than try to find out. I doubt that the board of director's of Tesco lose sleep worrying about it's business customers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: Zeno Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  9. J_A_M_E_S

J_A_M_E_S UKBF Regular Free Member

110 24
    Hmm, well TESCO must still have the ability to produce them at some level - as whenever I fill up with fuel there I always request and am given a VAT receipt (I know they're usually in separate buildings but surely the terminals/technology/buttons are the same)?

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: J_A_M_E_S Member since: Aug 11, 2009
  10. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,700 2,354
    Not sure if you are aware but if the sale is less than £250 and you ask for a VAT invoice it only has to show the sellers name and VAT registration number the date and goods sold, so in this type of scenario a receipt with the VAT number on the back is a proper VAT invoice.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  11. Falkirk300zx

55 2
    Zeno, it is far worse than Falkirk, it was Bo'ness!!!!!!!!

Nicola, no I did not know that! Amazingly, this was the first time in my trading history that I have not been supplied a VAT receipt when I have specifically asked.

Looking back I suppose that must be correct as I stick plenty of parking tickets through the books!

Thanks all

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.