Vat question

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by kirstie27488, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirstie27488

    kirstie27488 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    27 0

    I own a café and I have noticed that I should have registered for VAT in June 2015. How do I go about declaring this to HMRC as some supplies are zero rated and some are standard.

    Please help.

    Posted: Apr 13, 2016 By: kirstie27488 Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  2. David Griffiths

    David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

    11,426 3,561
    You have to complete a VAT registration form now and notify the date from which you should have registered. That's normally a complete month after exceeding the threshold, so if you were under at the end of May, then over at the end of June the registration date is 1 August.

    You'll have to make a return covering the previous periods. You should have identified zero rated sales at the time. If you didn't you'll have to start now to find out what proportion of sales are zero and apply that to the previous returns. Make it clear to HMRC how you have done this.
    Posted: Apr 13, 2016 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.