Accounts & Finance Brought to you by Accounting Excellence

VAT on wholesale or trade discount

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Munchkette, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Munchkette

Munchkette UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've just started up as a sole trader, I have not registered for VAT as I'm no where near the threshold therefore I cannot claim back VAT charged on purchases from suppliers which is fine by me.

I am just wondering whether I'm being overcharged VAT by a supplier. They offer a 50% discount for wholesale buyers. The 50% discount is applied to the RRP (inclusive of VAT) then 20% VAT is added to the total invoice amount.

Example RRP (including VAT) £53, Discounted price £26.50, Final price (incl VAT) £31.80

However am I right in thinking the discount should be applied to the RRP net of VAT? Therefore the discounted price of £26.50 should be the final value I pay as this already includes VAT and not £31.80?

By my calculation the net RRP (excluding VAT) is £44.17, applying 50% discount to this gives £22.09
    Final price (incl VAT) is therefore £26.51 or pretty much £26.50
    The VAT due being £4.42
    Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Munchkette Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

They can discount however they want, as long as vat is charged on the invoice total it’s up to them how they arrive at the net figure.
    Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  3. TheCyclingProgrammer

TheCyclingProgrammer UKBF Regular Free Member

As above, it's up to them how they discount it but to answer your question, yes I would expect 50% off to mean 50% off, which means the net discounted value is half of the net value.
    Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: TheCyclingProgrammer Member since: Jul 15, 2014