vat on goods imported from Poland to UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Diana Fisher, Jan 22, 2018.

  1. Diana Fisher

    Diana Fisher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    2 0
    Hello, i am looking to import shoes from Poland. My supplier tells me that I wont have to pay VAT if
    i supply him with a European NIP no. I an not VAT registered in the UK. Is this cooect and, if so, how do I obtain this no. Having difficulty finding anything conclusive on the net.
    Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Diana Fisher Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Mr D

    Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

    11,281 1,188
    You don't pay VAT on imports from the EU if VAT registered. If you aren't VAT registered then you pay VAT same as you do when buying in the UK.
    Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Diana Fisher

    Diana Fisher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    2 0
    Thank you thats what i thought. So the NIP no is irrelevant?
    Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Diana Fisher Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Tom Gardner

    Tom Gardner UKBF Contributor Free Member

    30 0
    Not overly sure what a NIP is, but Mr D's advice is spot on and I suggest you follow it
    Posted: Jan 23, 2018 By: Tom Gardner Member since: Dec 9, 2017
  5. DontAsk

    DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

    993 131
    Well, It's relevant, and is a VAT number. You do not have one, as you are not VAT registerd, so you have to pay the VAT.
    Posted: Jan 23, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  6. accounting-poland

    accounting-poland UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    7 0
    NIP is Polish abreviation for ‘Numer Identyfikacji Podatkowej’ i.e. an ID number issued by PL tax authorities to PL taxpayers (generally).

    The importation of goods (here: shoes) between EU is liable to a so called ‘reverse charge’ scheme in VAT if both parties (and particularly the buyer) are registered for intra-Community transactions. Under this scheme the goods are not taxed ijn the country of the seller at the local VAT rate (here: in PL at 23%), but in the country of the buyer (here: in UK at ??%).

    So, if you (1) register in UK for intra-Community VAT, (2) are available at VIES VAT number validation search engine (it usually follows the registration by couple of days), your PL supplier will not charge PL VAT on your purchase, but you will have to account for VAT on this purchase locally, ie. in UK by charging UK VAT and deducting it at the same time in your UK VAT return (unless your purchase is not connected with VAT taxable seles).

    Anyway, in order to avoid PL VAT, you do not have to obtain PL VAT id (NIP), but you defintely have to obtain the UK one and intra-community registration.
    Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: accounting-poland Member since: Aug 27, 2017
  7. Magda kafelek

    Magda kafelek UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    8 1
    You must have Eu VAT number , if You dont want pay VAT in Poland ( on invoice ) .If You dont have EU VAT , polish supplier have to add VAT on invoice
    Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: Magda kafelek Member since: Apr 24, 2018