VAT for an online marketplace

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Unai, Apr 9, 2019.

1. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

1,917 429
    Riskier than other sites for buyers
    Riskier than other sites for sellers
    No benefit to either.

Why would I as a buyer or seller use your platform, rather than Amazon, eBay or Etsy?

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Unai

Unai UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    So that's another argument in favor of split payment. That way every seller will have the flexibility to set whatever refund terms they want, and handle them on their own.

My website's name is The Geekernet. As the name suggests, sellers that I get on board will be selling nerdy things, like pop culture themed accessories, t-shirts, rucksacks and whatnot.

I will not allow vendors to sell complex electronic devices nor videogames for now (among other things), because, as you said, those kind of products have different regulations etc. It's just better to start simple.

And yeah 750 hours is not that much, but bear in mind that I'm a full-time student and part-time worker, and that I'm on this alone. I didn't have any experience at all building websites when I started, nor business knowledge, nothing (I'm studying Creative Writing). I have done absolutely everything by myself. What I didn't know how to do, I learned.

Right now, there is only so much time I can dedicate to this project. This is going to be changing in a couple of months, though, since I will be just working part-time.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 By: Unai Member since: Apr 9, 2019
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,409 2,108
    Whilst I feel for you, others on this ite have worked 18-20 hour days trying to make there new companies work every day

The first thing to do is fully understand your proposed business and then consider a website, you seem to have been making the website first with just a very basic idea, but no market research or business plan

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. Dan Kav

Dan Kav UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 2
    @Unai it may be worth speaking to someone like Adyen who do the 'money handling' for eBay or a similar gateway. They have specific marketplace products that could definitely streamline stuff for you.

Good luck with your project and be ready to learn a lot more about business in general really quickly. lol.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: Dan Kav Member since: Jun 19, 2018
  5. khushy

khushy UKBF Contributor Full Member

64 7
    1 - irrespective of my personal thoughts on your idea . . . before starting your business - GET AN ACCOUNTANT - they will give you the best advice and save any troubles later as your business develops - get it right from the beginning otherwise it will be a complete mess that will cost you time/money and probably your business

1A - if you don't understand how VAT works - you have problems - before you even begin!

2 - I do not understand what you have to offer with the "new" business - its been done before by people with deeper pockets, more resources and better brains than you - personally I would not bother ESPECIALLY as you say its a non-profit . . . whats the point in that - have you nothing better to do with your life??

3 - this business will consume ALL your time and all your money, no matter if its successful or not and it just sounds like ONLY YOU thinks its a good idea. Its not.

4 - as a business owner, I would not consider an association with your platform - ever - you have no audience, no resources, no marketing budget and no track record

Sorry if these few points are a bit negative/blunt/direct - but this is probably the silliest business idea I have seen for a good while and I would urge you to channel your energy into something more meaningful that could become successful.

Just IMHO

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 By: khushy Member since: Oct 25, 2006