Use class

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Owen Twidale, Jan 11, 2019.

  1. Owen Twidale

    Owen Twidale UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    5 0
    Hello everyone

    Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

    I have been reading conflicting information and getting myself a little confused so hoping someone can help.

    I am going to be taking a premises that has A4. I have read that I can change to A3 without planning permission. How do you do this? Do I still need to submit an application, notice or just operate as A3?

    Also, what is the exact difference between A2 and B1? Can you change from A4 to either of these without planning permission?

    Thank you in advance.
    Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Owen Twidale Member since: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Noah

    Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

    1,127 282
    Have you read through this sort of information?
    Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  3. Owen Twidale

    Owen Twidale UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    5 0
    Thanks Noah - I have read that website but that is where the little confusion is. It says you can operate but do we still need to inform our local authority changing from A4 to A3?
    Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: Owen Twidale Member since: Jan 11, 2019
  4. kulture

    kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

    7,888 2,146
    Your best bet is to talk to your local planning officer. Not only will they know the law, they are the ones to enforce it if you break it. So if they say its ok to do something, get it in writing and you can do it.

    A4 is a pub (and can also serve food) and A3 is a restaurant. There is not a lot of practical difference between these. I have no idea how you could actually tell the difference if your pub became more food centred. Your use of the establishment would still be A4.

    A2 and B1 are mutually exclusive. A2 is things like banks, estate agents, Financial advisers, whereas B1 is light industry or offices excluding those in A2.

    I think you would need permission to move to B1, as it can be very very different from a pub. It can be light industry appropriate for a residential area. Likewise A2 is significantly different so I suspect that planning permission is also required.
    Posted: Jan 13, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007