USA Cell Phones

Discussion in 'International Business' started by solopreneur, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solopreneur

solopreneur UKBF Regular Free Member

183 24
    I am heading out to the USA, and am going to need a phone for a couple of weeks. Are pay as you go phones readily available from supermarkets, in the same way that they are over here? It seems a cheaper option than using my UK one and paying roaming charges.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 By: solopreneur Member since: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14,849 2,100
    Prepaid phones represent a small percentage of the US market. The big operators sign people up two-year postpaid contracts in return for large handset subsidies. There are some prepaid carriers, but be careful. Some of them (such as Metro PCS and Cricket) are great if you plan to stay in one city but charge a large premium when you roam. Given your situation, Tracfone (part of American Movil, a Mexican company) and Boost (part of Sprint) might be good options. Other companies offer prepaid phones, but there are often strings attached, so read the small print.

Will you be based in one city, or will you be traveling a lot? If you're traveling, coverage is very important. Stick with one of the big four: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Verizon has the best coverage, and AT&T is OK too (although I drove in Georgia for 40 minutes the other day without any AT&T coverage). T-Mobile has the weakest coverage of the four.

The best place to buy a prepaid phone is in the wireless company's retail store. You'll see them everywhere. You can also buy prepaid phones in Walmart.

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  3. solopreneur

solopreneur UKBF Regular Free Member

183 24
    Thanks Steve. A weekin Sarasota and a week in Miami. I wouldnt normally bother, but have quite a few people to call during those 2 weeks.

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 By: solopreneur Member since: Jul 4, 2010
  4. palebrand

palebrand UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    thanks steve very much

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 By: palebrand Member since: Aug 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.