Upgrading membership without having to open a PayPal account

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Justin Smith, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

616 61
    Can someone tell me how to upgrade my UK Business Forums Membership without having to open a PayPal account ?
    I have to say the "shopping basket" payment page is not straightforward and trying to join without a PayPal account really is not easy, and may well be putting people off upgrading.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,027 289
    Can't you just complete the credit/debit card section and then proceed without creating a paypal account?

TBH though, I honestly can't see what the benefit of subscribing is?

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Justin Smith

616 61
    There is a section at the bottom of the payment page which says "Create a PayPal" account and doesn`t appear to let you complete the purchase unless you do so.
    I must admit my experience trying to do this rather scared me because my own website uses a PayPal shopping basket and I was thinking if all my customers have to do this it must be putting loads off buying from me. Thus I then went onto my site and did a test purchase, and, fortunately, customers of my Online shop are not confronted by that additional section ("Create a PayPal account"), but that then raises the obvious question, why are UK Business Forum customers put through that ?

4. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,414 4,368
    If you send a cheque made out to me for the membership, I'll take care of it for you.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  5. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

560 85
    Some people see the benefits of such a site, and do what they can to support the running of it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  6. Justin Smith

616 61
    Ironically I do actually have a PayPal account, but when I tried to pay with that, despite the fact I have funds in it, the PayPal payment page wanted me to put in my card details !
    All in all it`s the most bizarre payments page I`ve ever come across.

7. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,027 289
    Fair enough, but you are supporting it by creating free content that they plaster ads all over?

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,888 2,758
    Subscribe using a credit / debit card

or

Subscribe by signing into paypal account.

Looks very much like plenty of other sites.

Tried doing it via logging into paypal, immediately logged in and taken to a screen to confirm.
    Again like any other site.

Is what is different beyond that? Not willing to lose a little money just to check.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Justin Smith

616 61
    Are you getting the same screens as me ? On the PayPal payment screen I cannot pay without getting a section (at the bottom) "Create a PayPal account", and it won`t complete the payment without filling in that, despite the fact I`d earlier clicked on "Subscribe using a credit or debit card", as opposed to "Log in to [to your PayPal account] subscribe".

10. Mr D

22,888 2,758
    No, mine shows as credit / debit card on left side, sign in to paypal on right.

I click paypal and due to my settings I'm not required to login - I'm taken to confirmation screen to subscribe. Nice and easy and just as on many other sites.

If I click the credit / debit card option I'm taken to a paypal screen.
    Enter card details - and further down that page its got a 'create account and subscribe' button. Is that the particular problem?
    Perhaps its because the site owners want you to use paypal only?

11. Justin Smith

616 61
    My site has PayPal payment basket, but you can still pay, via PayPal, without opening a PayPal account. As I said earlier I checked this by doing a test purchase on my site (whilst being logged out of PayPal and not using the E Mail address I have with PayPal) because it freaked me out that our customers might be having the same problem as I`m having on UKBF and it would be costing me sales.

12. Mr D

22,888 2,758
    I have nothing against paypal so it wouldn't bother me if that was the screen I got when not using my paypal account.
    I do have a card linked to paypal, I may well be using a different card to pay.

13. Justin Smith

616 61
    Trying to pay this is getting a bit of a joke I have to say. I thought I`d pay by PayPal and it then somewhat bizarrely asked for a card number (despite there being ample funds in my PayPal account), it then asked for the card address. The card address is not the same as the business address I have registered with PayPal and I don`t really want my home address registered on PayPal as the latter account is primarily for my business. Bearing in mind loads of people on here are in a similar boat (re having a work address and a home address) I`d guess I`m not the only one to have this problem. I just gave up.
    My suggestion to the people who own this site is to sort out their PayPal payments system as it MUST be putting people off.

14. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

560 85
    I dont think advertisers would be that impressed by my content

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  15. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,293 233
    Hmmm.

Paypal always require a bank account or credit card as a backup to funds in the Paypal account. This is a Paypal thing and regular Paypal users will know this. It is nothing to do with the payee (the person receiving the payment and is there to ensure that Paypal can cover the amount a payer (the person making the payment) is committing to.

What surprises me @Justin Smith is that you have enabled Paypal payments on your site without going to the trouble of finding out how Paypal payments actually work...

Don't worry, when a customer opts to make payment via Paypal, they will know how to work the system. :):)

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  16. Justin Smith

616 61
    I`m sorry but you`re wrong. I have no card linked to my PayPal account, yet I regularly buy stuff using the balance of funds in my PayPal account. The latter meaning money paid by customers for orders which I have not yet transferred to my bank account. When I tried to pay for upgrading my membership there was several hundred pounds in the PayPal account, thus, when trying to pay by PayPal there was no reason for PayPal to ask me for card details. On the other hand, when trying to pay by card there was no reason for PayPal to insist I open a PayPal account. As mentioned earlier, our customers can buy stuff from our website using the PayPal shopping basket and pay by card without having, or opening, a PayPal account.

17. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,392 733
    I've just clicked on the upgrade page and it directs you to setup a recurring subscription via PayPal, rather than a one-off payment (hence why Justin is seeing a different payment routine to his own website). PayPal are asking for your card details as a backup funding source for future subscription payments in case you don't have sufficient balance in your PayPal account when the next payment is processed in 12 months time.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  18. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,711 9,698
    PayPal remembers you and has noted you have made a number of CC purchases without an account. Once you reach a set limit (it used to be 10) purchases PayPal requires you to open an account. You can still pay with a CC but you now need an account.

However....

There are ways to get round this if the business sets up their account correctly. But even then it's subject to the internal workings of PP.

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. Justin Smith

616 61
    Thanks for that Steve, though I have to say it`s a bit illogical that PayPal appear to think linking a card to your account now means you`ll defn be paying an invoice in a year ! I`ve had loads of cards recently sent through by my bank (one of which was for a theft* ), TBH there`s more chance there`ll be money in my PayPal account from customer purchases than my card still being valid ! But, as it happens, if I want to pay by card I then end up having to give a different address from my business address which, AFAIK, PayPal has on file. As much as I can I want to keep my business and home separate.

Basically UK Business Forums should make it easier to pay their upgrade fee !

* Las Teresitas beach car park in Santa Cruz Tenerife, apparently a crime hotspot, though nobody told us. Always be wary in car parks when loading / unloading your car, particularly if you have young kids and are being constantly distracted......

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Posted: Mar 24, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  20. Justin Smith

616 61
    I have to say that`s a bit cheeky of PayPal. They should remember who is paying their bills, the seller. I know PayPal want to get as many people as poss to open a PayPal account, but the seller just wants to make it as easy for their customers to pay, either by a PayPal account or card as they want. I`ve been dissatisfied with PayPal as my shopping basket for quite some time (though it`s a bit better now to be fair) because they make it less than straight forward for customers who just want to pay by card. As an example what the hell does "pay as a guest of PayPal" mean (they used to have that on their payments page) ? Most potential customers wouldn`t know..... That must put some people off buying from us, but, TBH, I don`t actually know how to change the shopping basket on my site (it was originally set up like that when the site first started), if I did know I`d get rid of PayPal. But, one assumes, UK Business Forums do know how to junk PayPal !

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012