Unwanted returns delivered in tatty condition

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by samuel5, Jul 10, 2019.

1. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

239 15
    Hi

What do you do with unwanted products returned with the packaging in tatty condition?

Do you sell them at a discount or repackage them?
    It is starting to cause us a bit of an issue repackaging them all.

We want to sell them at a discount and advertise them as used but cant work out how our system would manage this.
    Think we would have to create a new SKU with the lower price to list as used to Amazon.

Hearing about your current methods will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  2. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

323 140
    Hi Sam,

In a past life, I sold laptop backpacks. Sometimes these were returned when someone realise that their 17.3 inch laptop didn't fit (because we were not selling a bloody suitcase backpack!). We also re-sold demo bags that had been used at events. Anyhow, we sold these as B-Grade products on our website, Amazon and on eBay.

As long as you make it clear that they are B-Grade in the title and that the packaging is damaged and the product may have some scratches, you should be ok. It's always best to take photos of potential damage so the customer is fully aware.

We created a new SKU which was a variation of the old one. So, for example:
    • New product - SKU-0001
    • B-Grade product - SKU-001-B
    That way it was easier to manage and reconcile with the accounts.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  3. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    I agree with @WebshopMechanic - once you state in the description that the products in question are being resold or second-hand and you are explicit about damage to packaging or the actual products themselves, you should be fine. Just be sure to offer a nice discount!

I hope this helps.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  4. brownowl

brownowl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    I often look out for products in clearance outlets - the box will be going in the bin anyway, so why pay for it? One point - I would consider 'B' grade to be damage to the packaging, not to the product itself; any damaged products I'd consider 'C' grade and would expect a bigger discount.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: brownowl Member since: Mar 23, 2012
  5. ComPropSolicitor

ComPropSolicitor UKBF Regular Free Member

102 13
    I buy wholesale job lots of these sort of items if you want to discuss PM me

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: ComPropSolicitor Member since: Feb 1, 2019