Unfairly dismissed - do I disclose?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by frmarcus, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Legend

5,160 1,390
    I don't think I'm being harsh at all, apologies if you think that... End of the day both yourself and Karl are in the field of knowledge that this chap is after and you've given him your replies which is fair play to you both.

Lets say for instance the OP replied with the facts of what actually happened, i.e. unfairly dismissed but went into more detail as to which he has done here on the open forum the prospective employer would almost certainly look at him with the aspect of "trouble" because he knew that he was unfairly dismissed, he went down the road of a tribunal etc.

However did the OP state that he did in fact withhold information with regards to his dismissal? How was it withheld, was the question not asked within an interview? if not why not... did the company already know why? surely that would be prejudice and they only followed the route of "having to interview" knowing full well that they were not going to employ the OP in the first place because of the knowledge that they actually had?

As I said before I do apologise if you took it as a direct attack upon yourself and Karl, that isn't the case at all, what I'm saying is that there is only partial information given here, yet folk have categorised the OP as a liar without knowing the full story of what why and when.

:)

EDIT: Just re-read what I've posted previously, I've not named anyone in general only mentioned HR companies... that doesn't necessarily mean anyone here :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Posted: Sep 2, 2013 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Merchant UK

Merchant UK Verified Business ✔️

2,419 593
    Its normal practice to answer truthfully on any applications or even in the interview, normally applications include previous employments, salary details and reasons for leaving etc..

Failing to mention this could have an adverse effect on your employment if the company was to find out later. Therefore no one is calling this guy a liar, Just someone who failed to mention the full story of his previous applications.

Posted: Sep 2, 2013 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  3. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Legend

5,160 1,390
    I totally agree, however I am yet to see that the OP HAS in fact withheld any information.

If you're on an interview and someone asks a specific question then you obviously answer it, likewise if it's within an application form then again you answer it truthfully... However, if the question is not asked within either an application form nor an interview then how exactly can someone be called a liar? - IF the company doesn't ask that specific question then they either know the answer or don't give two hoots as to why, therefore you have no need to disclose such information until you're asked about it.

From a non-employers point of view or even an HR point of view, if the question is not asked beforehand then you seriously can't trudge up old news just because you feel like it and don't want to give someone a chance.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Posted: Sep 3, 2013 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Merchant UK

Merchant UK Verified Business ✔️

2,419 593
    I think the original post was "Do i disclose"

And to be honest i would, because things could turn bad against you later should they find out. Quite a lot of companies are indeed now asking for additional information on their Applications for example, About your health and if you've had any illnesses recently, Any Criminal or Motoring convictions and nearly all applications have a space for previous Jobs, Salary and reasons for leaving.

Most employers will check out references and if a former employer states about the tribunal then it won't look very honest if the OP didn't at least mention and defend himself.

Its not a silly thing to not mention, its an important part of the employees work history. I think all the recommendations have been to disclose as honestly and truthfully as you can

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Posted: Sep 3, 2013 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Jan1000

Jan1000 UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    I am afraid that this is becoming as clear as mud! I was unfairly dismissed (proved) and now don't know what to put on applications, or more to the point, what to say at interviews. Why should this follow me around when I was unfairly dismissed, through no fault of my own? I totally understand that I would not want to lie on application or at interview, for someone to find out over the grapevine. However, I thought that now in effect, my dismissal no longer 'existed'.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 By: Jan1000 Member since: Dec 2, 2014
  6. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    You were dismissed. That is a fact. An employment tribunal found the dismissal to be unfair. That is another fact. Both facts are true. One does not cancel the other out so that neither ever existed.

You should not lie on appllications or at interview. Your truthful response about the ending of your pst is that you were unfairly dismissed.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  7. JBlack

JBlack UKBF Contributor

129 19
    The process for dealing with unfair dismissal is to convene an employment tribunal. What process is there to deal with the unfair stigma attached to those who have done so, with respect to future job applications?

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 By: JBlack Member since: Jun 29, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    Absolutely none.

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  9. JBlack

JBlack UKBF Contributor

129 19
    I think that is why there was talk of not revealing past tribunals. Justice is a force of human nature; where it is not provided by society, individuals will seek to implement it themselves.

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 By: JBlack Member since: Jun 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.