Underperforming Employee

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Luke bell, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Luke bell

Luke bell UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 2
    Hi All.

I am looking for some info on what to do in a situation to where an employee (PAYE) is underperforming in a sales role. Not hitting targets, no use of initiative, disengaged etc etc.

We have had chats about the situation and she agreed that she has been feeling disengaged due to another sales person outperforming her. After setting new sales targets and goals for the previous month and this month, I feel nothing has or will change. And we cannot let this carry on as it has a knock-on effect.

If we feel as though the performance is having a negative effect on the business in terms of sales and income, where do we stand as a whole? are we able to make her role redundant or do we follow a sacking procedure.

Either way, I cannot see said employee performing to business standards anymore.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Luke bell Member since: Jul 10, 2017
  2. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,838 391
    How long has she been employed?

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,319 2,838
    I know a guy who was hired in as manager to take over a family car dealership chain. When he took over, it had about £200m TO and a handful of franchises. Today, some 12 years later, it does over £2 billion TO.

When he took over, walking across one of their forecourts meant being overrun by pimply youths saying "Can I help you?" These creatures just put people off and most customers fled!

One of the first things he did was to get rid of all the low-rent sales staff and replace them with ambitious family men and women who actually knew how to sell and were able to secure contracts.

The whole object of hiring a sales person, is that they sell. Or as a local Chinese shop owner said to one of his staff "You no sell, you no eat!"

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Luke bell

14 2
    Apologies, I forgot to mention she has been employed for 1 year exact.

5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,048 915
    Anything under 2 years you can get rid of them.
    Up to you whether you want to tell them their services are not longer required and pay them their notice or have them work their notice but have to keep a much closer eye on their work / giving them ability to mess up worse.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,838 391
    It's quite simple, tell her its not working out and say b'bye.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  7. Luke bell

14 2
    Thank you, good to know.

Simples! Thanks.