UKash - Metropolitan Police Virus Scam

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by 123Simples, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123Simples

123Simples UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

793 255
    This link http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-metropolitan-police/ will explain all the steps to take.
    Remember this is malware - it is basically trying to trick you into paying for something you don't need to.

You don't need to get another computer either (unless you wanted to upgrade anyway) and it depends on which "files" you are transferring over - usually if it is just your personal files such as images, text documents etc, these should be largely safe to do so.

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: 123Simples Member since: Jul 10, 2011
  2. The JGG

The JGG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 6
    Sorry but I have to completely disagree with this statement.

ANY and ALL documents, or files are susceptible to have a virus in them. Think of the UPS email, with a attached excel file. That excel file is the virus.

If the entire my docs folder is being transferred over, (this usually includes files which have been downloaded), the virus 'could' of come inside one of the downloads. Obviously we do not know.

Best thing to do, as I have stated numerous times, is to av scan, and malware scan the entire machine, on a full scan.

Same when ever downloading a file from any source. Scan it first, to ensure that it does not include any malware / virus. Simple enough to do, and takes a couple of seconds.

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: The JGG Member since: Jul 21, 2011
  3. cart-com

cart-com UKBF Regular Free Member

198 16
    This one is doing the rounds in Cumbria too. Seen many of these in the past 6 months.

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 By: cart-com Member since: May 25, 2011
  4. Dixie

Dixie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hi,
    Your not the only one to be tricked! I was setting up my second hand nearly new laptop and forgot to put my antivirus software on. Whilst looking for various drivers, up came the same message screen. The screen looked so realistic and I felt very scared about the information that was contained in it. The laptop was going to be a gift for my father the next day. So not being aware of this sort of thing. I went and paid the £100 to get the machine useable again. I was then going to take it down to the police station to ask them all about it. Because I had not committed any of the
    offences the screen mentioned. However when I put my numbers in the box the thing still would not go away. I then used a friends computer to look the problem up on the internet and to my horror found out it was a scam. It said I had 24 hours to pay the fine and if it was not paid in time My computer would be confiscated and all the data on it would be removed, then I would have to go before a tribunal. It mentioned terrorist offences and a raft of other nasty stuff as well. I was really taken in with this one. I can sympathise with you.

Has anybody else been tricked out of their money?

All I can say to the people that have done this to me is “I hope you burn in hell you ********. When you’re caught and you will be. I hope the cell you occupy is full of violent thugs to beat the **** out of you.”

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 By: Dixie Member since: Sep 17, 2012
  5. Dixie

5 0
    Hi,
    Your not the only one to be tricked! I was setting up my second hand nearly new laptop and forgot to put my virus software on. Whilst looking for various drivers, up came the same message screen. The screen looked so realistic and I felt very scared about the information that was contained in it. The laptop was going to be a gift for my father the next day. So not being aware of this sort of thing. I went and paid the £100 to get the machine useable again. I was then going to take it down to the police station to ask them all about it. Because I had not committed any of the offences the screen mentioned. However when I put my numbers in the box the thing still would not go away. I then used a friends computer to look the problem up on the internet and to my horror found out it was a scam. It said I had 24 hours to pay the fine and if it was not paid in time My computer would be confiscated and all the data on it would be removed then I would have to go before a tribunal. It mentioned terrorist offences and a raft of other nasty stuff as well. I was really taken in with this one. I can sympathise with you.

All I can say to the people that have done this to me is “I hope you burn in hell you ********. When you’re caught and you will be. I hope the cell you occupy is full of violent thugs to beat the **** out of you.”

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 By: Dixie Member since: Sep 17, 2012
  6. Dixie

5 0
    Hi,
    Your not the only one to be tricked! I was setting up my second hand nearly new laptop and forgot to put my virus software on. Whilst looking for various drivers, up came the same message screen. The screen looked so realistic and I felt very scared about the information that was contained in it. The laptop was going to be a gift for my father the next day. So not being aware of this sort of thing. I went and paid the £100 to get the machine useable again. I was then going to take it down to the police station to ask them all about it. Because I had not committed any of the offences the screen mentioned. However when I put my numbers in the box the thing still would not go away. I then used a friends computer to look the problem up on the internet and to my horror found out it was a scam. It said I had 24 hours to pay the fine and if it was not paid in time My computer would be confiscated and all the data on it would be removed then I would have to go before a tribunal. It mentioned terrorist offences and a raft of other nasty stuff as well. I was really taken in with this one. I can sympathise with you.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: Dixie Member since: Sep 17, 2012
  7. Dixie

5 0
    Hi,

Your not the only one to be tricked! I was setting up my second hand nearly new laptop and forgot to put my virus software on. Whilst looking for various drivers, up came the same message screen. The screen looked so realistic and I felt very scared about the information that was contained in it. The laptop was going to be a gift for my father the next day. So not being aware of this sort of thing. I went and paid the £100 to get the machine useable again. I was then going to take it down to the police station to ask them all about it. Because I had not committed any of the
    offences the screen mentioned. However when I put my numbers in the box the thing still would not go away. I then used a friends computer to look the problem up on the internet and to my horror found out it was a scam. It said I had 24 hours to pay the fine and if it was not paid in time my computer would be confiscated and all the data on it would be removed then I would have to go before a tribunal. It mentioned terrorist offences and a raft of other nasty stuff as well. I was really taken in with this one. I can sympathise with you.

8. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,429 444
    Unbelievable. I've heard of the expression 'one born every minute' but seriously didn't you think at any point it would be a scam? I mean when have you ever heard of any police force demanding money to 'unlock' your computer????? Hasn't anyone told you how dangerous it is giving your credit card details to just anyone?

It baffles me how gullible people are. I think I already mentioned in a post a customer a few weeks ago responded to a bank phising email 'suspicious acivity' and put EVERY single piece of identifiable data they own into the website to validate who they were: credit card, passport numbers, driving licence, dob, maiden names etc.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  9. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,429 444
    no that's not true. Only certain executable files can have viruses attached although many virsues/malware pretend to be other popular formats hoping you'll recognise the format (excel) and click on them when in fact they're executables. Images, music files, documents etc. can not carry viruses although there used to be a thing called macros that attached to the old excel and word files but you no longer see them as they're easy to detect.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  10. Dixie

5 0
    I must admit I probably was the one born every minute!
    However I managed to get my money back from
    Ukash. They were able to put a stop on the pin
    the shop gave me, before it was used by the scammers.
    I believe the virus was already on my computer when
    I bought it. The person selling it had just done a clean
    up of his files, so the virus must have been there all the
    time. I reformatted the drive and all is fine now. I have
    also reported the scam to the police and the on line
    fraud people.

11. agvozd

agvozd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    From my personal experience the best way to get rid of Ukash, Paysafecard or Metropolitan Police virus is to do it manually. I've once been hit by this malware program (ransomware). I searched for many solutions, they all offered me to install some program. But I found another solution that was manual, but it helped me to remove this Met Police trojan for free, because it was manual. This is the solution that I imply - remove-malwares.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/what-to-do-if-you-see-metropolitan.html
    If you go to the bottom of the page you will find the manual solution - this is the one I recommend to you.

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 By: agvozd Member since: Oct 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.