UK Web Hosting

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by pbdesigns, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbdesigns

pbdesigns UKBF Contributor

143 11
    Am looking for recommendations for good hosts for multiple accounts.

None of my clients require access to the control panel, I manage the accounts on their behalf.

Have around 100 sites hosted. Nearly all are Wordpress - and the aim will be to move all across to Wordpress.

Was previously with CS New Media, that got absorbed in to Vidahost, which has since been absorbed in to Host Europe, and the quality has deteriorated recently, so looking to move.

Would like to move away from a host that is part of a massive corporation.

But equally, don't want to end up with a one man band. Carl was great at CS New Media, but you could see the cracks when things went wrong.

So ideally, a small business operating a great hosting company (and only hosting), and definitely not a reseller. I want to deal with the people who operate the servers and know what they're talking about.

What recommendations are there?

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: pbdesigns Member since: Nov 23, 2011
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor

1,548 369
    Hi

What sort of package are you on the with current host e.g. reseller, cloud, shared and what are you paying if you don't mind me asking?

Do you have any idea on the volume of disk space required?

Thanks

Mark

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. pbdesigns

143 11
    I currently have 2 reseller accounts - one on Vidahost one on TSOHost.

Each £30 per month.

In total, under 200gb space in total - a lot of that is email though, and some will be cleared out as part of the transfer.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. Simone D. Casadei B.

Simone D. Casadei B. UKBF Contributor

56 16
    I'm not into this market, but from my customer's perspective, Pickaweb has exceeded my expectations in every way.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: Simone D. Casadei B. Member since: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Xtm_Mike

Xtm_Mike UKBF Ace

441 101
    I used CS New Media back in the day, they were great. I had no idea they were bought out. Such a shame.

In addition to 200GB space, what sort of resource allocation did you have? and bandwidth usage?

There are lots of great hosting companies on UKBF :)

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: Xtm_Mike Member since: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake UKBF Newcomer

26 8
    I've got sites with various hosts, the best by far that I've found are 20i and Hi Hosting, the support you get from both of these are excellent. Jolt are OK too.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake Member since: Sep 14, 2017
  7. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Enthusiast

367 75
    Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  8. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Big Shot

596 152
    +1 recommendation for 20i. Very good so far and we use a LOT of different hosting companies. They seem to be really changing the way hosting is done

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  9. Martyn_sa

Martyn_sa UKBF Newcomer

11 2
    We use Nimbus Hosting for 200-ish websites and have found them to be very reliable. The response time for the rare issues is also excellent.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: Martyn_sa Member since: Jul 6, 2013
  10. pbdesigns

143 11
    Yeah, everything was pretty good under CS New Media. And Carl worked really hard, but you could see it was tough for him running it solo.

As I started seeing cracks, and at the time I was increasing Wordpress development, I bought an account with TSOHost.

Vidahost (owned by the same company as TSOHost) bought out CS New Media, and for a while everything was fantastic. But then Paragon (the owner of TSOHost and Vidahost) were purchased by HostEurope (owners of Heart Internet/123-reg).

And then earlier this year, HostEurope was purchased by GoDaddy, and for me, that was the nail in the coffin.

So within a couple of years, CS New Media has ultimately ended up swallowed up by GoDaddy!

And now is the time for me to move elsewhere.

11. pbdesigns

143 11
    I'm pleased to see 20i mentioned here.

They were the ones I had my eye on. And the fact they've been mentioned twice gives me confident that they are the ones who tick all of the boxes for me.

12. ADNattan

ADNattan UKBF Enthusiast

308 75
    One of the devs I work with recommended Krystal Hosting to me, and I've never had any problems since signing up with them three years ago. I'm not sure whether they meet your requirements as I'm only running the one site, but if it doesn't work out with 20i, they might be worth checking out.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 By: ADNattan Member since: Jul 21, 2009
  13. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    If I understood you right, you want a new web hosting to transfer both of your current accounts with around 100 websites on just one web hosting? Normally, I'm not a fan of such things, to host 100 websites on just one web hosting as if it gets down, all of your websites will be offline. I prefer to use at least 2-3 providers in such cases, or even more. But of course that is just my opinion. You can also contact your favourite providers through live chat or tickets to ask for solution and see how they are going to react. There is no best answer, you should decide by yorself and pick the best for you, not for others.

Posted: Sep 16, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  14. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    That's 100% fake. It sounds like an advertisement and when I see that the profile has only 2 posts, it's sure that this is a fake profile.

I'm currently using eUKhost shared server and I'm more than disappointed. My uptime is 80% and their support is awful, they say that they can't do anything when I ask about the uptime. There are situations that my websites are offline for 2-3 days because of their unprofessional service. I will go away immediately when my contract expires and never again use that amateur web hosting again.

And the most important thing is that I have evidence and you can see on the image my uptime for last 30 days - https://imgur.com/a/GGW5R

Posted: Sep 16, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  15. Xtm_Mike

Xtm_Mike UKBF Ace

441 101
    Experience generally vary customer to customer, server to server.

I was with Web Hosting UK (same company as EUKHOST) for several years and never experienced a single issue and support was generally amazing.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: Xtm_Mike Member since: Dec 10, 2010
  16. Tony Tomlinson

Tony Tomlinson UKBF Newcomer

35 4
    Just wanted to share my recent experience with 123 Reg in the hope it helps future purchasers.

Purchased a VPS server, uploaded my databse and files to the server in order to host my websites, setup the email within the server however it would not connect via IMAP, webmail, our any external email client wouldn't work.

I contacted hosting to see what the issue was and was told by Cristian Dorin "Sorry this isnt part of our support scope" I explained the issue isnt with any software I have purchased im simply trying to to host emails "Sorry Tony we cannot help"

Shocking really, cancelled the VPS since, 123 reg had my business for a week and couldn't even hold it.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: Tony Tomlinson Member since: Jan 31, 2017
  17. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    I'm not sure that the same people are working there, I know that these companies are both owned by the same guy, but that doesn't automatically mean that they are exactly the same. So, don't tell me what is your experience as you don't have such with eUKhost. I'm the one who is suffering and I can tell you exactly what is going on with them.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  18. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    That is a bit unfair, as 123-reg don't provide managed VPS's so woudn't support the software you are running on it. Email servers are software you support and manage yourself on unmanaged VPS.s. If you don't know how to investigate ( what probably is a firewalll setting) then you shouldn't buy an unmanaged VPS. But buying a manged VPS is far more expensive. e.g. unmanaged from 123-Reg approx £18/month rough equivalent managed from Vidahost £70/ month. Not that I recommend either.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  19. Tony Tomlinson

Tony Tomlinson UKBF Newcomer

35 4
    Perhaps so, however with webmail not working or anything the support could have pointed me in the right direction rather than just saying "No" would have taken two minutes, it turns out after doing lots of Google research the issue lay in an unticked box within the WHM configuration settings.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: Tony Tomlinson Member since: Jan 31, 2017
  20. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Enthusiast

367 75
    I understand your situation. If they had replied in a professional way, then they wouldn't lose you as a customer. And many more of course.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.