UK Manufacturer needed

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by AlexHall10, Oct 8, 2020.

1. AlexHall10

AlexHall10 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Need a UK manufacturer to create my product. These products will be simple office accessories, made from wood.

I have researched hours and could not find one that wanted to go ahead with it. Any suggestions?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: AlexHall10 Member since: Oct 7, 2020
  2. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

398 141
    Is this the cryptic quiz ? Do you actually have any idea what processes will be required in the manufacture ? If you do, might be an idea to share some of that info with the people you're asking for help.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,926 3,037
    Look on craft websites. Find the wood crafters, ask them.

I know of a couple of companies that sell wood products, they buy from Asia as can get the quality and price is right.
    Have you considered getting the items made overseas?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. AlexHall10

11 0
    I'm not too sure what I'm meant to be looking for. I'm new to it no need for the cocky message

5. AlexHall10

11 0
    I have considered but thought it might be better to make it over in the UK. But maybe I am wrong, I will have a look overseas. Do you have the name of the companies please? :)

6. Mr D

24,926 3,037
    I can get the names of a couple of companies, you will not get their suppliers names from them.
    It's impolite to ask for such details.

One announces it has a supply of wooden goods from India. One announces recently it received some wooden goods from Bali.
    Customers like to know sometimes where things have been made.

I got some sample wooden boxes from a company in China, handmade supposedly.
    Did not go with that supplier, his work was inferior for the stated goods.

7. AlexHall10

11 0
    Ah okay. I would private message you to get the companies names, but your profile blocks me from going on

8. Craftymetal

Craftymetal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 5
    Depending on what you require quantity etc I could put you in touch with some contacts.

Really you need to head out to various industrial estates and track down what you need might not be easy some industries are few and far between and I know several with waiting lists/ long lead times.

and also be sure what you want! A proper drawing with a proper specifications does help quite a bit

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Craftymetal Member since: Nov 23, 2017
  9. AlexHall10

11 0
    Yes conveniently there is an industrial estate right next to me, which I didnt think of looking at! duhh.

Yeah I think I will need a bit of help with that as I just have a few mockups (without specifications) and I'm not great with all that.

But thanks for the advice and it would be great if you could get me in touch with some contacts

10. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

398 141
    What I mean is, what processes are involved. Could your item be made by, for example, laser cutting, or would it require scrolling or CNC routing, or a combination of all three ? Is it made from several assembled pieces or cut from all one piece ? An idea of what is involved will shape the recommendations that it is possible to give you. That's not a 'cocky message', that is simple basic common sense.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  11. Craftymetal

Craftymetal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 5
    Ok first you need to get what you want dialled in. What wood it is, finish required etc you can then work out processes required to make it ie does it need cnc routered parts if so would be pointless going to a traditional cabinet makers type shop.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Craftymetal Member since: Nov 23, 2017
  12. AlexHall10

11 0
    The cocky part was this "Is this the cryptic quiz ?" Just no need to put it..

But this reply is really helpful, I need to do more research in how it would be made because right now I really dont know. Will look into all the processes you have given thanks.

13. AlexHall10

11 0
    Okay cool, I will go ahead and get all this down. Thanks so much

14. Mr D

24,926 3,037
    Worth talking to multiple industrial unit staff - they may well send out some work to be done in wood or even have ability and equipment to do stuff on their machinery.

One company name, ancient wisdom.
    You could also try namaste, they used to have some nice wood stuff, and vaillant (in Birmingham I think).

15. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

861 131
    There's a name from the past! Used to use them when we had a b&m store 20 years ago. Nice to see they're still going.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  16. Mr D

24,926 3,037
    Yes alive and well. They had a fire recently, destroyed one of their units but they soldiered on and were trading fairly normally within days.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  17. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,128 1,382
    Helloooo :D

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011