UK Dropshipping help!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Akos, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Akos

Akos UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Hi There,

My name is Akos and I am in process of setting up an ltd in the UK to do dropshipping with my partner.

We have previous experience with ecommerce outside the UK so I would need some more UK specific advise on how it can work well here in the UK.

Any tips on the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. The main question and I have read a lot on this is Sole trader VS ltd
    (The plan is to set up a limited company for this unless someone has a very convincing reason to keep it as a sole trader or partnership.)

2. Can you do native ads as a sole trader or do you have to be registered as a company in the UK?

3. ACCOUNTANCY. As dropshipping will be an unknown field for me through a company in the UK what are your tips on accounting and book-keeping. Does anyone have experience with online accountancy agencies such as crunch? Are they suitable for this kind of business? I have read some VERY mixed reviews. Should I just hire a proper accountant?

Other than these any general tips and DOs and DON'Ts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Akos

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Akos Member since: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,753 1,871
    What is a native ad?

Accountants dealing with limited companies should be able to deal with yours.

Just be aware there will be plenty of competition and if a buyer has a problem its for you to sort it out.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

784 115
    If it's with your parter I would start off as a partnership. Really don't think there's any need for a Ltd company yet. Dropshipping is just a form of retail so your books are much the same as if you were running a shop.
    I would always prefer to chat with a local accountant rather than online.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  4. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

61 4
    1. I would start as you mean to go on and go Ltd

2. Do you mean showing ads locally (google, facebook etc) - you can do this regardless of sole trader or ltd company status.

3. It is best to choose an accountant who is familiar with the industry you are in and I would choose one you can talk to on the phone or face to face.

---

If selling in the UK you need to familiarise yourself with the Distance Selling Regulations also:
    https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Good luck with it all.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,937 9,070
    DON’T try to run this from outside the UK. People will want to know there is someone local they can call.

DO take time to research the market. There are thousands of dropshippers most of whom fail because they didn’t put in the effort to find a niche and do their marketing properly.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Akos

Akos UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Thanks for the advice guys! Really appreciate it

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 By: Akos Member since: Aug 29, 2019
  7. Roada UK

Roada UK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 1
    Top tip...get a RELIABLE order fulfilment company to store your items and post them out DIRECT to your customers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2019
    Posted: Oct 3, 2019 By: Roada UK Member since: Oct 3, 2019