UK business - USA manufacture

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Craig5707, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Craig5707

Craig5707 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

I have registered my business in the UK but I am considering manufacturing my products in the USA. The US will be a main or major market for me (baby clothing) and a lot of my research suggests my target market values domestic made products.

Could anyone give me advice on if after having the products made, I could just have them fulfilled from the USA or would I need to import into the UK to ship there. What are the tax implications of just manufacturing and shipping from the USA as a UK company.

I will use e commerce to sell the products

Apologies if this should be in the finance forum!
    Thanks

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Craig5707 Member since: Aug 28, 2019
  2. Leo Salazar

Leo Salazar UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 10
    My first reaction was, "Why USA?!" I didn't think that many baby clothes manufacturers were located in the US. I thought most garment manufacturers were located in China, Vietnam or Cambodia.

Boy was I wrong!
    https://allamericanreviews.com/best-baby-clothes/

I'm not answering your questions, I know. I just wanted to share that, thanks to you, I learned something today. Thank you!!

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Leo Salazar Member since: Sep 2, 2017
  3. Craig5707

Craig5707 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I think a huge number are, especially if you buy from large stores

Im trying to avoid that to capture a certain target market that value domestic made

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Craig5707 Member since: Aug 28, 2019
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,193 1,804
    You can use fulfilment in the USA and just ship to UK what you want in the UK. Paying appropriate import costs and VAT here.

Be aware of local taxation over there. Sales tax etc.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017