General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

UK Business not displaying prices including VAT

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by johnp1, May 20, 2020.

1. johnp1

johnp1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 2
    Dear members of the forum,

I need some clarification in regards with a shipping company registered in the UK which does not include VAT in their rates displayed on their website, which in my opinion is quite misleading.
    I would like to know if I am right in this situation as I believe that they are doing this on purpose (I told them about this and they refuse to display the prices fairly).
    If so, where could I report them?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: johnp1 Member since: Oct 4, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

25,262 3,074

Shipping company? So presumably B2B for most of its work?
    Then yes they display price excluding vat.

Because businesses do not account for it in their costs when vat registered.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. johnp1

19 2
    Its actually a niche B2C (they ship from UK to a particular Eastern European country and vice-versa).
    Of course they also serve businesses however the majority of their customers are not businesses.

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

25,262 3,074
    So add vat to their pricing and you are sorted.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,563 1,216
    I deal with loads of companies who don't show VAT inclusive prices. It's added at checkout, because they sell to businesses in the main, who don't care about the VAT - it\s largely irrelevant.

I'd be miffed if the website said VAT included, then added it as an extra, but why are you so cross? Why is it misleading? I doubt any of us here would worry, registered for VAT or not?

Shipping companies usually do far more business with other businesses I've always found. Individuals who ship abroad are quite rare, and if course if the people the other end have a valid VAT from their Government, no VAT will be added to the invoice anyway?

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  6. johnp1

19 2
    Thank you both, I understand now.

7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,960 2,490
    My old workwear company was online and always showed prices ex vat as 90% of our customers were businesses, It makes companies easier to compare prices as the vat is reclaimable anyway

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  8. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

268 142
    My biggest gripe is getting hold of VAT receipts/invoices from businesses that clearly do a lot of business with other businesses. This is one of the principal reasons we now use Amazon Business for 90% of our "Miscellaneous/Sundries" spend. We used to buy bits-and-bobs from lots of different companies and I was continually frustrated having to spend a morning or afternoon a month e-mailing, ringing and chasing for VAT invoices. An order confirmation (if you even get VAT mentioned on it) doesn't cut it. Now with Amazon, I can filter/select the sellers who offer VAT invoices and I get Amazon headed invoices e-mailed over to me on dispatch without fail (and also can pull from your account). Hell, I've even got £10k on account with 30 days terms, what is not to like? I can't even describe how wonderful I felt that facility was from a customer perspective. Time is far better spent developing business than chasing receipts. The ruthless success of Amazon has been honing down on all those little annoyances and making it dangerously easy...difficult to see how others compete with that.

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019
  9. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,960 2,490
    I get where your comming from, in the not to distant past nearly everyone put a printed invoice in with the goods, now you get nothing just the goods in a bag with not dispatch or invoice

Posted: May 22, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  10. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,280 1,835
    When I look at a price I normally consider it to be without vat

Posted: May 22, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  11. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,563 1,216
    The Amazon VAT filter works quite well and gives you a prod that maybe the slightly cheaper one works out more expensive, and does give you the option to think.....

Posted: May 22, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015