UK -> Belgium Export Confusion

Discussion in 'International Business' started by AUGUST&PIERS, Jan 8, 2021.

1. AUGUST&PIERS

AUGUST&PIERS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hi all,

During the launch of my UK-based business four months ago, we managed to obtain a stockist of our product in Belgium.

Pre-Brexit, we were sending our product via courier with no problems as expected, but now post-Brexit I'm slightly confused on the rules.

As a non-VAT-registered company, if we are sending goods (£550) to our stockist in Belgium we will attach the correct custom forms, although the part I'm confused on is how do I advise on how much import tax and duty our stockist will recieve?

Obviously, I don't want them to have any nasty suprises and want to be transparent as possible.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Piers

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: AUGUST&PIERS Member since: Jan 8, 2021
  2. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    VAT is pretty straightforward, it's determined by where it's going. Belgium is 21% vat.
    Where is the product manufactured and what type of thing is it? It's this Origin and product type that determines if any duty is applicable. You can also expect a clearance or processing fee which depends on the courier. Usually somewhere around £5 to £20

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  3. AUGUST&PIERS

6 0
    Hi JRatron,

Thanks! The product is scented candles, do you know if there is any duty on this product? Or could you point me in the correct direction?

Many thanks,

Piers

4. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    but where are they made? Where's the raw product sourced? That's what determines the Origin.
    If it's UK or EU you're fine, otherwise there's likely to be duty to get them into the EU, even if you've already paid duty to get them into the UK.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  5. AUGUST&PIERS

6 0
    They are all produced and raw products sourced in the UK.

Thanks for clearing this up with me. Going forward I will let the stockist know of the VAT & processing fee they will expect.