Typical Cost of a Magento Website

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by Mail Workshop, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mail Workshop

Mail Workshop UKBF Regular Full Member

131 8
    Thinking of starting an ecommerce clothing retail business outside of work.

Would you guys recommend Magento for a beginner, or would something like Shopify be a better ecommerce solution?

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 By: Mail Workshop Member since: Nov 25, 2014
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,547 368
    I would personally recommend Opencart rather than Magento or Shopify but you'll get a mix of different opinions!

We find it easiest to develop for and for clients to pick up and start using.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,404
    Magento is ideal if you want thousands of sales and shopify is ideal for a small website with smaller number of sales (they take a lot of the cost etc).

Like Ryedale I would recommend Opencart because of it's easier learning curve, have built a clothing store on Opencart I can show you, happy to chat on Tuesday about it Simon

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  4. acornia

acornia UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Agree with the comment above, for low end platforms you are talking £100s, Magento low £1,000s, we work with a fashion incubator who put startups on Magento but that's because they have a special architecture, you are probably best with Shopify or Prestashop to start with if your first site. If you need international then Magento is a better option.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 By: acornia Member since: Jan 27, 2015
  5. Coari

Coari UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 0
    I would recommend Prestashop. Magento will cost you more and with small shop you wan't even use 10% of what it can do.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 By: Coari Member since: Nov 12, 2010
  6. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    As someone presently bailing out of Opencart...I'd say stick with Magento! for a start there seems to be a bazillion more users on Magento (vs. opencart)....therefore you'll never have to turn to much more than google to get your answer (whereas when I use Google to try & find solutions to my Opencart problems, the google cupboard was quite often bare). Disclaimer: I've not used Magento on a live site yet, but the 'out the box' features are far better than Opencart's ...their selection of free extension seems far more extensive too (I also much prefer their standardized method of implementing extensions vs the varying ways which opencart extensions are deployed). Finally if you are thinking of linking your website to Linnworks...re Opencart - don't go there.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  7. dx3webs

dx3webs UKBF Regular Full Member

426 111
    Why plan for mediocrity.. go for magento and aim to fly high. One of the main advantages is that no matter what you have in mind there is a reliable extension already built for it.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 By: dx3webs Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  8. CreativeWest

CreativeWest UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 3
    Shopify/Volusion/BigCommerce/WooCommerce are time based so your growth is limited by resource, Magento can be automated but only if you know what you are doing and only to a certain point. If you are in beauty or fashion there's an accelerator @CommerceKick based on Magento.

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 By: CreativeWest Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  9. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    This forum is turning so spammy, to recap, the title of this thread is

"Typical Cost of a Magento Website"

...but now we see this like this...

"For NopCommerce: If you just wanted some hosting with NopCommerce installed and you wanted to get your own theme and images and then set the site up yourself then that would cost £250 + vat per year"

Seriously, there ought to be a bit more moderation going on round these parts...it's as if you can't discuss anything without someone with an angle chiming in. It's a business forum, not a tout your wares forum.

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,404
    Report it and we will see it and deal with it, there are 5 maybe 6 active mods and we can't be in every thread 24/7, that's why the report button is there :)

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  11. RakeMark

RakeMark UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 9
    Thanks for the feedback Pish Pash, I appreciate your views. The OP asked about prices, I gave some prices for a directly comparable product. Without a direct request for a price I would not have done so

I thought my comments were pertinent regarding Shopify vs Magento, you and others have mentioned other platforms and so did I.

Incidentally, I thought your comments on Open Cart vs Magento we're interesting, as were other comments regarding other open source platforms.

I apologise to all, no offence was meant.

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 By: RakeMark Member since: Mar 11, 2015
  12. CreativeWest

CreativeWest UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 3
    Typical cost for Magento will be 3-5k, Prestashop/OpenCart 1-2k, Shopify 700-1,000 with decreasing levels of automation (150-200%/70-100%/30-50%) so you need to put in more time to grow faster. They don't need to be that expensive but that's what the providers normally charge. If you do it yourself you will pay that cost in time so depends whether you are better earning outside and buying services or your time is relatively inexpensive and you can do it yourself. There is a revenue share option for Magento where you take 20%/50%/80% of gross revenue depending if you supply products and/or marketing.

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 By: CreativeWest Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  13. sabian1982

sabian1982 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,459 141
    I'm actually just about to start doing a site building using Woocommerce, the reason for doing so is Magento wasn't warrented due to the rather limited number of products that will be sold. Be interesting to see how it compares to Magento.

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 By: sabian1982 Member since: Jun 14, 2007
  14. webstore

webstore UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

702 106
    In response to the title of this thread "Typical Cost of a Magento Website" . . .

. . . given Magento CE is free OpenSource software, a Magento CE 1.9.1 based online shop can be built in an about an hour - including install of the "Madison Island" sample data & images - by somebody used building Magento sites. So you are talking little cost if you have to pay somebody - assuming you already have suitable hosting space - with say cPanel availability.

Likewise adding an off the shelf theme - by somebody used building Magento sites can take an hour or less and likewise the same for a given extension and most theme / extension providers only charge something of the order of an extra $50 approx for an install. Its important to note that you should never add an extension to a live production site and you should always test the extension first of all on a development site to ensure there's no problems.

Where the real cost kicks in, is the time needed by the online shop owner to get their head round Magento & /admin, getting site images sorted, site set-up, time taken adding products via browser or .csv import / ftp for images etc and this can mean many weeks of on and off learning and effort.

Now at the other end of the Magento spectrum and if you want everything done for you along with a custom design - then you'll need a budget of several £'000s.

Posted: Mar 21, 2015 By: webstore Member since: Nov 7, 2010
  15. webitetc.com

webitetc.com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    Magento is a little complex, but my favourite having worked on all three; Opencart, Wordpress and Magento.

Depends on how complex or simple your requirements are. If you wish to take baby steps and just want something basic to start with, I would not pay more than £1,000 for theme, installation, training and customisation.

If you want the best Magento website that translates your ambitious need incorporating the complexities, then it could be around £5,000-£10,000. Cost will depend on how smartly you plan the build.

If you break up the tasks and are willing to put in the hours yourself, you will save a lot of money. Most web-development companies will delay you (resulting in your estimated costs to spiral) if you don't define the scope and project plan.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 By: webitetc.com Member since: Mar 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.