Trying to port numbers from VOIPfone

Discussion in 'Devices' started by johnbuk, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnbuk

johnbuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

After a few years of using Voipfone it seems we have outgrown them - BUT I CAN'T LEAVE!!. I don’t have an IVR in place now as the Voipfone system that we use is not able to provide all of the functionality that we require. I would like a system that could handle our growth for the future with significantly more extensions / numbers / IVR systems / call groups.

Voipfone advised me that they can no longer provide the service that I require. They recommended that I find a provider using an asterisk system as this is much more customisable. I have found numerous providers that can provide the service. My problem is that I cannot find anyone to port the numbers from Voipfone. The voipfone customer service representatives are slippy as eels when I ask questions as to why I cant find anyone to port the numbers.

Voipfone said:
    "We can port between members of ITSPA as stated. However if you wish to port outside if that, the gaining provider may not have porting agreements with us hence not being able to port it to them."
    I have tried numerous ITSPA companies and none of them can port the numbers so I don't believe this to be true.

Voipfone then said
    "Who is the company you have contacted with regards to porting? It may not necessarily be us not allowing the port away, but the provider you have approached not having a port agreement at their side. Unfortunately it can sometimes become complicated."
    You're telling me it's complicated! They just wont divulge any info to allow me to understand the process! It's simple to transfer in to voipfone though!

Voipfone then said:
    "Unfortunately there's nothing we can do. Yes the numbers are ours but both parties you port between need a porting agreement. You could email porting directly however I doubt much can be done."

I asked:

"Please can you confirm:
    1. The numbers can be ported providing that there is an agreement in place.
    2. A porting agreement can be easily reached providing that the provider is a members of ITSPA
    3. If yes to 2, how long does this take?"

The riddler at voipfone said:
    "Numbers can be ported away providing the gaining provider has a porting agreement. If they don't, then it won't be possible, porting agreements can't just become available, if they aren't in the first instance."

I am still not clear if any of these agreements actually exist?!?

I would be very grateful if somebody can share experiences or spread some light on the situation.

I know I can divert the numbers from voipfone to another provider but I want everything under the control of one provider and I'm not sure if there is a cost implication of diverting all of the calls. I have 44 incoming numbers and I don't want to have to change them. These are mainly premium numbers that I have paid for.

Thanks

John

My requirements are below - If anyone can point me towards a provider that would be great.

The basis of the current plan it is that:

· All calls will go to the IVR
    · The caller will select the desired option
    · The call will be diverted to the right phones
    · On no answer the call will open out to all phones (as we are open long hours so there are reception staff on when the office has gone home)
    · On no answer after being opened out to all phones it will transfer to a 3rd party answering company

Additional Requirements
    It needs to be a cloud based solution – I only want network / phones in the office
    I would like the option in the future of voicemail on all extensions to go to email (but we don’t really use this now).
    I would like the call headers to display the name of the business called and the calling number.
    We currently have 20 phones. 16 in one location, 4 in other locations. We need a system to allow 50+ phones.
    We currently have 22 extensions. We need a system to allow 50+ extensions.
    We currently have 44 incoming numbers. We need a system to allow 150+ incoming numbers.
    I require to be able to turn on / off call recording
    I would like to be able to record calls that are forwarded to the answering service.
    I would like to be able to have different IVRs for different phone numbers

Posted: May 29, 2014 By: johnbuk Member since: May 29, 2014
  2. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    Interesting post

I will be watching this one in interest because I have always been given the impression that it was easy to port the numbers from voipfone when I joined
    (This does not mean that I have been unhappy with them but best aware of problems down the line)

Which is the bit that they cannnot do that means that you have outgrown them

I agree with you about forwarding and not wanting to do this

I know it is not ideal solution but might you be able to transfer the numbers through a third party in some way
    Lets say voipfone to BT to XYZ

Posted: May 31, 2014 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  3. johnbuk

johnbuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Page,

On the whole I have been very happy with voipfone. Customer service has been very good (when they can help!) and to be fair they pointed out to me that it was time to move on. Just wish i could port the numbers!

It is the IVR functionality that can't meet my needs. I want different IVRs for different incoming numbers, different opening hours for different incoming numbers and I want a call to transfer on unanswered to all phones and then on unanswered again go to a third party. Voipfone can do this in my current non IVR setup but not with the IVR.

The problem with your suggestion is that I think the call will lose the call headers if i did this. Therefore the caller ID, number / business called etc will be lost.

Posted: May 31, 2014 By: johnbuk Member since: May 29, 2014
  4. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,449 3,074
    You can port your numbers to any telco that has porting agreements with us or our network partners. In practice that means pretty much the entire telecoms industry with the exception of a very few companies that are either too new or too small to have set up agreements or who for some reason do not wish to.

The process is that you contact the network provider you wish to move to and they manage the port on your behalf - they will normally charge you for this.

When we receive a request to port from the new telco we are legally obliged to port the number unless there is a valid reason not to - such as wrong address information or the requesting party is not the account holder.

It's as simpe as that - if you wish to move your numbers, contact the telco you wish to move to and ask them to do it. I'm a little confused as to why you've been told by other ITSPA members that they can't port from us because, with some rare exceptions which have nothing to do with us, that's simply not true.

Also, are you sure that we can't simply provide SIP trunks for your Asterisk box - we have many customers who do this?

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  5. british steve

british steve UKBF Ace Free Member

1,486 303
    Posted: Jun 1, 2014 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  6. consultant

consultant Your Business Community Staff Member

5,516 767
    Johnbuk,

who do you want to move to?

Contact them and let them do the hard work!

As for your requirements, as Asterisk PBX can do all of your requirements, possible except the "record calls that are forwarded to the answering service". You could set up your own PBX at relatively low cost and a lot of features, however, if you do not want your techies to manage, let a pro do it!

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  7. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

254 47
    We partner with Gamma Telecom who provide a hosted VoIP phone system called Horizon, and an advanced call routing system called Inbound. Using the two together should achieve all you need.

It is a subscription model though; you just pay per user/handset per month, so it may work out expensive. For 50 handsets/subscriptions you'd be looking at around £800 a month, or around £1000 a month for an inclusive bundle that includes calls and free handsets...

Let me know if that's of interest...

Cheers

Ryan

Posted: Jun 2, 2014 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  8. MrTomFarrow

MrTomFarrow UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    Voipfone are pretty good guys :)

Interesting that you outgrew them, must be going quite well.

At this point I'd be looking at ISDN30 lines and an in-house asterisk PBX. ISDN30 is a digital service rather than typical analogue lines, and allows you to have 30 lines open at the same time. BT offer this service.

An Asterisk PBX can do absolutely anything with a good developer, unfortunately I am a telecoms guy, I can setup your cabling, switches, jumpers and hook into your asterisk, but I can't really advise much on asterisk. Look for some business local to you that seem like good maintainers, they should be able to help you out.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 By: MrTomFarrow Member since: Jun 1, 2014
  9. leemason

leemason UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,602 527
    Thanks Steve!

John: You don't need to port from voipfone. We can trunk with their service AND provide you with a hosted Asterisk/FreePBX system that will be much more flexible and will provide you with the extra facilities that you need. Drop me a PM and we can discuss your requirements in detail.

Lee

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  10. AdaptableTelecoms

AdaptableTelecoms UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    Hi John,

We provide cloud based IVR's and can meet all of your requirements. Happy to assist in anyway we can.

Thanks

Mike

adaptabletelecoms.com

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: AdaptableTelecoms Member since: Jun 16, 2014
  11. drdialeruk

drdialeruk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 8
    I agree with you about forwarding and not wanting to do this. Interesting that you outgrew them, must be going quite well.

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 By: drdialeruk Member since: Jun 26, 2014
  12. Aliya Musa

Aliya Musa UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I'm having a similar problem with Voipfone. I asked for my number to be ported to VTSL weeks ago. All seemed to be going well until we hit a wall and received the latest response from my provider regarding what they're getting from Gamma who supply Voipfone. irony is that it's going from one Gamma client (Voipfone) to another Gamma client (my new provider VTSL). If this is the case then the Voipfone marketing is misleading and could even be a breach of contract not to mention trading standards. This is not the Victorian Age - things should take weeks let alone months. Feeling very frustrated.

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 By: Aliya Musa Member since: Jul 14, 2015
  13. Aliya Musa

Aliya Musa UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Forgot to post the response. here it is:-

"I am awaiting clarification from the carrier as to what the process is. Please see their earlier response below based on this I would not have expected them to have contacted the loosing provider at this time.

I have sent that on to our Regulatory team who will let me know if they need any more information, however please be aware that the team can only process four of these per month and your request will have gone into a queue which I am told is as far back as October. Apologies for this delay.
    I have contacted the carrier to seek further clarification as to the length of time the migration of the number will take."

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 By: Aliya Musa Member since: Jul 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.