Trust and impression that it is a premium product

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Ignoring the rest of the site, starting from this page http://www.wheelchair-ramps.co.uk/portable/ and selecting a 6 inch height, what are your views?

Does it look trustworthy and give the impression it is a premium product?

Would you be happy having to contact first before buying or would you expect to be able to just buy online without talking to anyone?

If you did expect to be able to buy online, would you buy from a page like this? - http://www.sbvd.co.uk/product/ax18/ (currently not https but would be)

Would you have any concerns if the online purchasing option was on a separate domain?

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Does it look trustworthy and give the impression it is a premium product?
    Not really and Not really.

I wouldn't have even got to the product page - I'd have landed on the page you linked to wondered where the pictures were and gone back to Google. If by chance I'd have selected a height I wouldn't have clicked on the link to the see the product.

The actual product page is just stock images and no in-situ piccies or even a picture of someone using the ramp. I would only know it was a premium product if I had it in my hands - for all I know it's a cheap alloy and poor build quality.

And it's cheaper elsewhere. And some of your competitors have done a better job of actually selling the product.

Yes I would be concerned if I were taken off-site to place my order. Make the whole thing look iffy, as if you are just some affiliate dropshipper.

Upvote 0

The Byre

Legacy Full Member
    Aug 13, 2013
    No sane person is going to blow £500 on two small bits of welded aluminium! I can get a perfectly produced stage ramp capable of taking a forklift or a concert grand and with a TÜV safety certificate for half that money, made in Germany and sent from Germany.

The disabled are not known for having high levels of disposable income to spare!

Your most expensive competition is selling the same ramp as the one you are offering for £100 less, others offer portable and folding 6-foot ramps for under £200, so you must be sourcing badly.

So I have to agree with @fisicx - the whole thing looks a bit dodgy.

Upvote 0
    Looks like the ramps are made from a product that I know as Aerolam, an aluminium hexagon spacer matrix bonded between two GRP skins, or maybe aluminium skins.

It has a *very* high strength to weight ratio, but is expensive.

As others have said you can buy ramps a lot cheaper, but almost certainly heavier.

So your market would be those that will pay a premium price for lightness.

Your USP should be "We may not be the cheapest, but definitely the lightest!". And prove it with comparisons, photos of an elderly person holding one in one hand.

Sort of thing.

Reactions: UKSBD
    Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Not really and Not really.

I wouldn't have even got to the product page - I'd have landed on the page you linked to wondered where the pictures were and gone back to Google. If by chance I'd have selected a height I wouldn't have clicked on the link to the see the product.

That was a page set up with just the selector on so you could get to the next page without being sistracted, this version just jumps straight to product page without the extra link http://www.wheelchair-ramps.co.uk/portable/ (the selector would then appear on several other pages)

The actual product page is just stock images and no in-situ piccies or even a picture of someone using the ramp. I would only know it was a premium product if I had it in my hands - for all I know it's a cheap alloy and poor build quality.

Idea really is that people phone, these aren't really for disabled people, they are for businesses complying to regs.
    People tend to buy whatever does the job (cheaper products), Businesses would be stupid to risk buying some of the ramps on the market at the moment

And it's cheaper elsewhere. And some of your competitors have done a better job of actually selling the product.

That is biggest problem really, there are 4 or 5 much better businesses selling similar ramps, they tend to be manufacturers too, so have much bigger budgets for advertising, marketing, producing content, etc.

Yes I would be concerned if I were taken off-site to place my order. Make the whole thing look iffy, as if you are just some affiliate dropshipper.

I wouldn't really want to do this anyway.
    Ideally I want to talk to people before they order, too many people would order the wrong product.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    I can get a perfectly produced stage ramp capable of taking a forklift.

With ramps like these It isn't the weight it carries that is important

The disabled are not known for having high levels of disposable income to spare!
    others offer portable and folding 6-foot ramps for under £200

These tend to be OK when a disabled person sees what they are buying and buys for themselves.

My biggest market is service providers who are buying to comply to regs.
    Send them one of those cheap ramps out and chances are 1 in 5 would be returned.

I've always had the policy, sell 5 quality products a week with no returns is better than selling 50 cheap products a week and risk lots of returns. (returns are expensive)

Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Looks like the ramps are made from a product that I know as Aerolam, an aluminium hexagon spacer matrix bonded between two GRP skins, or maybe aluminium skins.

It has a *very* high strength to weight ratio, but is expensive.

As others have said you can buy ramps a lot cheaper, but almost certainly heavier.

So your market would be those that will pay a premium price for lightness.

Your USP should be "We may not be the cheapest, but definitely the lightest!". And prove it with comparisons, photos of an elderly person holding one in one hand.

Sort of thing.

Yes, I don't sell cheap ramps, far too much rubbish about, I only sell the top of the range products.

I only really sell after talking to people first and predominantly to service providers.

I try to emphasise the strength to weight ratio, maybe it needs making clearer on the site.

Biggest problem is another manufacturer makes an almost exact replica now and sell them direct.

I'm trying to decide whether it is even worth revamping the site now or just move on.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu