Travel Rants voted Best UK Travel Consumer Blog in Travolution Awards

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by DarrenC, Apr 26, 2008.

1. DarrenC

DarrenC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,315 8
    The Travolution Awards rewards the best in online travel and Independent travel consumer blog, Travel Rants has been voted Best UK travel consumer blog, beating off the Travel Mail, part of the Associated Newspaper group, and online Travel agency, Viator, at the awards held at the Royal Garden Hotel, London on the 24 April.

The panel of travel experts judged entrants, saying that: “Darren Cronian has single-handedly set the benchmark to which other consumer-focussed blogs should aspire. Controversial, relevant, thorough and, perhaps most tellingly, much better than something mainstream media organisations are trying to achieve.”

Travel Rants is an independent travel blog dealing in travel consumer issues, and is written by Darren Cronian, in his spare time, as a hobby, and covers controversial topics such as airline passenger obesity, and consumer holiday complaints.

Darren Cronian, editor of Travel Rants said “I am delighted to have won such a prestigious award and also beat off tough competition - it proves that anything can be achieved with hard work. It’s great that an independent blogger can take on the big names in the travel industry and come out as top.

I am passionate about travel, and it’s important that travel consumers have a channel to voice their opinions publically and the Travel Rants blog allows that as they can leave comments and ask questions about the important topics discussed”

For more information visit http://www.travel-rants.com

--- Ends ---

About Travel Rants

Travel Rants was launched by Leeds based, Darren Cronian, in April 2005, after a bad experience at a high-street travel agency. The blog features a wide range of travel issues and is an independent voice for consumers. In 2007, the Guardian, mentioned Travel Rants as an essential travel site along with Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet.

Press Contact:

Darren Cronian
    Editor, Travel Rants.
    Mobile: +44 (0)785 338 0309
    Email: darren @ travel-rants.com

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: DarrenC Member since: Dec 9, 2005
  2. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    Congrats Darren, great news

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  3. JustOneUK

JustOneUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,568 268
    Very well done Darren :)

It will be worth a lot more when you sell it now ;)

James

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: JustOneUK Member since: Nov 19, 2005
  4. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9,899 1,683
    Much credit to you Darren not exactly an easy market to crack, so a hell of an achievement.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  5. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Well done Darren.

I've visited your blog in the past and found lots of good stuff on it.

Steve

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  6. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14,849 2,100
    Darren,

As the release mentions, you've single-handedly beaten a major publishing empire, which is an incredible achievement! Very well done.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  7. DarrenC

1,315 8
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

I am very chuffed as you can imagine - every year I set myself targets and goals, and this year it was to win an award, which in a competitive industry like Travel is not an easy goal to try and achieve.

Like I mentioned in the PR, with hard work anything is possible.

Cheers!

Darren

8. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,742 6,639
    Wel done Darren.

are you making any money yet,?

Earl

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  9. DarrenC

1,315 8
    Thanks Earl.

Yes, it's starting to make money, slowly I have to say.

Getting travel companies to pay for banner advertising is a challenge, so I've moved to affiliate advertising to fill up the advertising spaces which is starting to earn me a small amount of revenue.

I'm launching the travel rants podcast in May, and have just acquired a sponsor which is paying for all of the audio and promotional work that I'll need to carry out.

Once the podcast is up and running I'll be working on building the travel rants brand.

Looking forward to the challenges ahead.

10. Carl-CSNM

Carl-CSNM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5,209 208
    Well done Darren. :)

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 By: Carl-CSNM Member since: Apr 9, 2006
  11. IainW

IainW UKBF Newcomer Free Member

652 147
    Well done, travel is a tough business to be in whatever angle you are coming from so to get this award is a very commendable achievement.
    As i own a holiday company i am very wary of holiday/travel blogs because i view them as just a travel agent bashing machine from the writers and from the people that leave comments however Travel Rants is refreshingly honest and isn't this type of portal.

Keep up the good work!

Iain

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 By: IainW Member since: Feb 22, 2007
  12. Greg Findley

Greg Findley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

456 65
    Congratulations Darren, thats great news :D
    Greg

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 By: Greg Findley Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  13. ineedcontent

ineedcontent UKBF Newcomer Free Member

43 3
    Well done Darren, excellent result, the net may be the only place where a small business can beat the big guys.
    It also shows that the big money guys wasted their cash on meetings, think tanks, expensive web design, surveys, and directors who get a million a year for two afternoon's annual work, when a regular guy actually knows what the public wants, and can deliver.

Posted: May 3, 2008 By: ineedcontent Member since: Dec 21, 2007