General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Traditional Card Terminal vs Square/iZettle/etc

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by anonuk, May 6, 2020.

1. anonuk

anonuk UKBF Regular Free Member

302 44
    At present we have two GPRS mobile card terminals. We got GPRS models because we often do local delivery and occasionally need to take payment on delivery. We much prefer card payment to cash, so it works well.

The contract for our terminals is up for renewal and we've been offered to keep the existing units for a reduced rental (40% discount), we can have new units, or we can cancel the terminals and go elsewhere.

I have, for a while, been looking at the Square 'Terminal' as it looks good, has the POS software integrated, as well as a receipt printer. It runs on Wifi and so when out and about, we could have a wireless hotspot in the van to connect it to, or alternatively an iZettle machine but that would need to be linked to a tablet or phone.

The POS software we use on our trade counter can integrate with the iZettle reader so can automatically send the amounts, etc to the iZettle, where as the Square Terminal would be it's own standalone POS.

Cost wise, we pay around 1.2% for our card transactions whereas iZettle and Square are both 1.75%, but that's obviously offset by the saving of the rental cost.

I'm just looking for opinions really. Should we stick with our traditional terminals (that in my opinion look a bit more 'professional'), or switch to iZettle or Square?

Does anyone have any experience taking payments with either of the above? In particular the Square Terminal?

Posted: May 6, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  2. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

891 310
    We use both an iZettle and a SumUp but never used a Square.

We’re really happy with both. We use them on our food stalls and I was actually also a bit worried about them looking a bit ‘Mickey Mouse’ compared to a proper terminal but nobody has ever batted an eyelid.

For the amount we use them they are a lot more cost effective than the mobile Ingenico for instance but there would come a point for some where they wouldn’t be.

Have you had a look at past transaction data to see what your processing fees would have been with the iZettle or Square for those months?

Posted: May 6, 2020 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  3. UrbanRetail

UrbanRetail UKBF Regular Free Member

251 76
    I've had experience with Square and felt their support really let them down. I've since been using SumUp and it's been bang on. We had their Wifi terminals and then switched to the 3G models when they became available.

Their POS software is simple and easy to use and I also like the fact I can have my payouts sent to our company SumUp card if needed.

Their rates are 1.69% if I remember correctly. Well worth a look.

Posted: May 6, 2020 By: UrbanRetail Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  4. Airwolf1

Airwolf1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 2
    I've just done lots of research into these. We wanted stand alone ones which immediately removes iZettle and Square. I rang them both up and they didn't do a device that can pick via 2G/3G. I was going to look at myPos one as it was the cheapest with this option, but just prior to commencing my research I had an ad on Facebook. The ad was one by myPos. In the comments section about 95% of the comments were trying to contact myPos to resolve issues and in the end myPos stopped replying to the comments. I also tried to ring the sales line today, after 8 rings it hung up. So that resolved that and made it one less company to go to. My mind was made up on sumup, but the battery life isn't that good due to it constantly being on 2G/3G (lasts about 50 transactions). Sumup currently have an offer on their most expensive device. It is 2G/3G and picks up the best signal in the area that it is in, so not stuck to a specific company. Transactions are 1.75% with no contract. We then had an email from a company that looks at card readers and sumup was in the top 3 (iZettle and Square were the top 2 iirc). so we opted for 1 sumup device and will test it. If we like it we will probably get a further 3/4 of them. Also looking into one of these external battery chargers that can charge it whilst we're out. So sumup seemed the best to me based on my research and what we needed.

Hope this helps.

Posted: May 6, 2020 By: Airwolf1 Member since: May 5, 2020
  5. anonuk

302 44
    Thanks guys. I hadn’t considered sumup as don’t really like the look of the card readers but the 3G one sounds promising.

Any other opinions gratefully received :)

Posted: May 7, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  6. Airwolf1

25 2
    The sumup machine arrived. Very easy to operate and we've done trial payments, they worked fine. It looks like we'll be ordering more of them :). We will order the external battery chargers too.

Posted: May 9, 2020 By: Airwolf1 Member since: May 5, 2020
  7. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,651 316
    Signed up with sumup, got their 3g terminal.

It's good, my only issue is it doesnt provide us with a receipt, or which customer thr payment relates to.

Depending on the sums you're taking, I think our terminal works out cheaper, particularly on CNP transactions, which going forward we'll be taking more of.

Posted: May 9, 2020 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  8. Airwolf1

25 2
    We got the one that can give the receipt, at present only another £30. Options are receipt by SMS, email or print or none at all.

9. anonuk

302 44
    iZettle are next business day into the bank. It’s the ‘owned by PayPal’ that puts me right off izettle if I’m honest.

I still really like the look of the Square Terminal. The Square Terminal would remove the requirement for our iPad POS, but there are far more fantastic reviews about sumup than both iZettle and Square.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Posted: May 9, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  10. Airwolf1

25 2
    There is a choice of daily (which I believe is the default), weekly or monthly payments from Sumup to the business account.

11. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,651 316
    Sumup are quite good at paying out, 1-2 days.

Yes you can text or email a receipt to the customer, but not also to yourself. In the control panel it doesn't show you who each transaction relates to.

Posted: May 9, 2020 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  12. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,401 738
    I use iZettle and apart from a few issues with the card reader loosing its bluetooth connection (although this hasn't happened for a few weeks now so maybe an update fixed it) it's work well. I get an e-mail around 8pm on the next working day confirming how much is being paid out from the previous day's takings, however it is sent via BACS so actually takes another 2 working days for the money to arrive in the bank account (i.e. payments taken on Monday are paid out on Tuesday, but the money doesn't arrive until Thursday morning).

Posted: May 9, 2020 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  13. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Regular Full Member

107 23
    @anonuk what is your business sector? You could get much lower rates if you don't go PAYG. Mobile GPRS terminals with dual network connection (hooks onto the strongest network). What POS software are you using ?

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020
  14. GB attivo

GB attivo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    My company offer all platforms.
    If you're new to card then yes square/izettle/sumup would work for you to start off your business, this will give you information on how much the machine is used.
    If you need good rates and you put through a good amount monthly I would advise getting a terminal that suits your business we can get rates starting from 0.25% debit and 0.59% credit with a monthly fee of £26 and next day payments using a variety of acquirers again making sure it fits you're needs.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 By: GB attivo Member since: Jun 5, 2020
  15. GB attivo

4 0
    Lots of companies now offering next day payment with rates of 0.25% debit and 0.599% credit. have a wee look around or message me and I can point you in the right direction.

16. GB attivo

4 0

17. anonuk

302 44
    Didn’t take long for the sales reps to show up did it ;)

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  18. GB attivo

4 0
    was just advising my option tbh... that there is other options out there.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 By: GB attivo Member since: Jun 5, 2020
  19. anonuk

302 44
    I just don’t agree with companies signing up to forums to plug their own companies when I was asking for people’s experiences.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  20. Airwolf1

25 2
    Update - 1 company has 1 sumup devices with the printer, working really well, the other company I was researching for have got 2 and will start to be used in the next 2-3 weeks. You can have 'employee accounts' so that you can see which employee or which geographical location is getting more card sales compared with the others. Really pleased with them.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 By: Airwolf1 Member since: May 5, 2020