Totally Disgusted

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Chris Ashdown, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,248 2,075
    Totally Disgusted with ITV evening news failure to report on the lose of a French Lifeboat going out in a major storm to make a rescue, whilst i appreciate that home news is important, major world stories should have coverage as well. Note sure if BBC had the story on the evening news but did have the story on its web site as https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48553351

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  2. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Regular Free Member

367 73
    Whilst a tragic accident why would you expect it to be on the UK ITV news?

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  3. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

12,139 4,218
    Posted: Jun 7, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,176 1,553
    How much other international news was on?

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Mitch3473

Mitch3473 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,011 235
    Do you think for one moment the French would report on the Holyhead life boat going down.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Mitch3473 Member since: Aug 25, 2011
  6. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Free Member

103 29
    You could at least have signed your post, ‘Disgusted of Norfolk’!

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  7. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,843 997
    I think the OP needs to get a hobby.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  8. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,786 935
    The RNLI never talk about the people that the Norfolk Caister lifeboat save! Mainly because Caister lifeboat got dumped by the RNLI and Bernard Matthews and JIm Davidson funded a private lifeboat service, that exists independent from the RNLI service. They get called out regularly and protect a huge coastline. Nobody knows outside the county. A French lifeboat call out isn't of interest to us is it? If lives were lost, then there would be interest I guess, but if nobody was hurt???

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. Chris Ashdown

10,248 2,075
    My point being these guys around the world risk their lives, not for money or glory but because they may be able to help, as a Ex Seaman i appreciate the effort the rescue services make

We have daily reports of individuals around the world doing some insignificant things often so called celebrities, but when a rescue goes wrong nobody thinks its worth while reporting, When the last UK lifeboat the Penlee's "Solomon Browne" was lost, it was headline news for days

Three were killed Paul

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  10. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,786 935
    I suppose sadly, it's down to the news editors on the day - if for whatever reason it was downgraded in newsworthiness, and to be honest, I'd not even heard the story until mentioned here. Brexit and Michael Gove's story are deemed higher public interest. Even worse, if one of the crew had been a Brit, even a Brit who moved to France ten years ago, it would have made the cut. Even horrific air crashes fall off the list if nobody from the UK was involved. This is how news works now. A page full of stories and one paragraph's worth of space. Contact Newswatch, but that's the stock answer you'll get. Foreign stories no matter how important get dumped if a Labrador puppy eats a McDonalds box and has to have an operation.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  11. Mr D

14,176 1,553
    What is newsworthy to you is not as newsworthy to others.

As a non-seaman I appreciate the effort the lifeboat crews make. Does not mean that a lifeboat lost is anything more than local news.
    Cannot recall any foreign lifeboats being in the news at all.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. alan1302

367 73
    The news can only say so much is one bulletin - they have to pick and choose which is most important to the general audience so can't cover everything.

Should they cover every death of someone involved in an emergency service?

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  13. Chris Ashdown

10,248 2,075
    No I guess footballers should have priority, after all they are important

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  14. alan1302

367 73
    You've still not mentioned how they should choose what goes into a general news bulletin...you seem to be unhappy they have missed something out that you would like to have seen yourself...if they had mentioned the story then which would you have removed?

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  15. Mr D

14,176 1,553
    Millions follow football apparently so yes, to the media they are important.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

12,139 4,218
    I'm a Cub Scout Leader, on an almost daily basis I meet people who devote their lives to helping young people. They don't make the news, they just quietly get on with it.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:02 AM By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  17. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,699 829
    The question in France is why is their sea rescue service so underfunded while the RNLI have oodles of cash. So much cash that modern lifeboat houses have millions spent on them just to get rid of the money.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  18. alan1302

367 73
    Is it underfunded?

Do the RNLI have so much money they just spend on things they don't need?

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  19. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,503 3,291
    (Putting his ex-journalist's hat on.)

The ITV news is made for them by ITN who also produce news and current events services for Channel-4, Channel-5 and many others. ITN is a four-way joint venture between ITV, Daily Mail Group, Thomson-Reuters and UBM-Informa (a media and events company).

As part of their service, the potential news stories are run past focus groups that reflect the demographic makeup of that outlet. In that way, the output on Ch4 is very different to Ch5 or ITV. They all come from the same place and use the same sources of information, but have totally different content and presentational styles.

So for an audience watching Ch5 or ITV, footballers' wives are relatively important. Ch4 viewers will only get to hear that there are such creatures if a point of law is being made, or one of them has been gunned-down whilst shopping at Harrods.

In other words, you decide by watching the news on ITV.

But I do get your broader point Chris, it's not just ITV. The entire Western World (more or less) gets its World news from one source - Reuters. When I was running my news agency, we were signed up to Reuters and it was amusing to hear from an Aunt that a story with my name attached was being run on a Los Angeles radio station, or from my parents who were thrilled to hear my voice on the BBC (for them, that was the pinnacle of achievement!)

But all the entertainment news goes through one department. All the business news goes through one (huge) department. And so on.

If you, as a journalist, have got what you think is a hot story in the middle of the night, you call London.

I was pushing the night shift and actually had the following conversation -

"XX here, the entire city of Koblenz is flooded. We're just getting the first footage!"

"Is anyone dead?"

"Er, not yet!"

"Call back when there are some people killed!"

So along with stock market reports and all the pointless 'Sony looks to the future' PR stuff, you file the story and any accompanying footage and pics and hope that they (or one of their customers) pick it up anyway.

News can be a funny game. A story about a school for German comedians to teach them how to be funny went around the World and earned us money. Koblenz under water - nothing!

When the News of the World went down, I was sad because we were negotiating with them a story about how all talent shows are fixed. The price under discussion - £50k. But try selling them something that is of real importance and you usually draw a blank.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  20. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,381 249
    I read an article a while ago, claiming the RNLI has an abundance of cash, with most of it being invested, not going to 'front line' services... that said, when the time comes to replace a lifeboat, they'll be glad they have the cash in the bank. I don't have a problem with that, provided there's a long term plan, and it's not just banking cash, and someone taking the cream off it.

I remember Blue Peter raising money to buy a lifeboat.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011