to build a client WP site on sub-domain or local host first?

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by crackerjackcommerce, Aug 8, 2019.

?

Do you build a Wordpress site on a sub-domain or local host?

1. Sub-domain

40.0%
  2. Local host

60.0%
  1. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 6
    Hi, I would like to ask a question mainly aimed at developers, do you build a client WP site on one of your sub-domains first and then transfer to them or do you build on your local host/desktop?

Also, can you recommend a safe and easy way to transfer to client host/domain when done?

Regards,

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,389 9,580
    Always use a sub domain, that way they can see progress and sort out their content.

I just use the duplicator plugin to move the site to their hosting.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. I_DO_MARKETING

I_DO_MARKETING UKBF Regular Free Member

411 109
    We have a development domain and have a subdomain of that for each dev.

When client is happy just change the domain name to live one. Or ship them the site to install on their own hosting.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: I_DO_MARKETING Member since: Oct 24, 2015
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,123 310
    Build locally, then deploy changes to a staging environment (if needed) and production as required.

This is easier said than done with WordPress. It's a nightmare to keep in version control and deploy between environments because everything is stored in the database. Basically you end up having to copy the whole website back and forth between environments rather than having a single direction deployment flow, and this is what makes people develop WordPress sites in production rather than having a proper development workflow. Although I've built the odd WordPress website for clients in the past I now completely avoid it, only making small changes on request for existing clients who have legacy websites which need updating.

If a client doesn't want me to handle deploying their website to production (has never happened) then I would just provide a zipped copy of the repo. I do this periodically anyway to ensure a client always has an up-to-date copy of their code (along with a production backup) in case they would like to change developers in future (the "bus factor" / key person risk).

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 6
    Thanks for the replies - very useful and informative, thank you.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  6. Status Tracker

Status Tracker UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 2
    We use a sub domain also and change to live domain when ready, it's really useful to allow clients to see progress etc.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: Status Tracker Member since: Aug 6, 2019
  7. WorkingFromHome35

WorkingFromHome35 UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 3
    I like to use 20i hosting - get the client to use it for their domain. It's great for WordPress hosting and they provide a staging area you can use for development. Once the client is happy you just press a button to transfer a copy of everything to the live environment. It makes it so easy because you don't have update URLs and mess about with htaccess and index files when you put the finished site live.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 By: WorkingFromHome35 Member since: Aug 15, 2019