Tips to Become A Professional Locksmith

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Kenvin Breck, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

415 85
    Are you thinking of Timpsons? I thought they only cut keys?

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  2. glengraving

glengraving UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 37
    They have mobile locksmiths too

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: glengraving Member since: Jan 24, 2019
  3. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,893 1,317
    Pfft... They're cobblers... they have one BLI Locksmith within the whole company - and he doesn't even go out doing any work... they've used the MLA against itself...

:)

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  4. glengraving

glengraving UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 37
    I know of some who would disagree with that too

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: glengraving Member since: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

415 85
    I have made the mistake of thinking they are cobblers, a lesson learned there.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  6. Michael Beaumont

Michael Beaumont UKBF Newcomer Full Member

1 0
    Being in the MLA helps with the massive number of companies that refer to it, but is not required. Anyone with a good practical background can become skilled as a locksmith with City & Guilds qualifications.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: Michael Beaumont Member since: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,304 1,591
    I'm an expert key cutter. I was in that line of business for a while about 30 years ago. I'm seriously good at keys ...which is why I'm amazed anybody walks around with keys in their hands plainly visible to all and sundry. I need to see a Chubb or Mortice key for literally 2 seconds and I can go away and make a copy. If I have my mobile on video record I could go away and make copies of every key on that bunch!

Cutting keys is simple. Or was at that time. You needed a machine for Yale type keys, one of Chubb type keys and that was it, it covered almost everything including most car keys (except the new BMWs etc at that time which had what were called "laser" keys but had nothing to do with lasers).

Anyway, long story ...less long: nowadays you need all kinds of computers and software for most car keys and I wouldn't know where to start. House keys are moving that way as well and getting complicated. I returned with a friend to his house recently and he had to get his phone out to open his front door!

But I understand that the best way to learn how to deal with locks is to commit a crime and go to jail for a bit. You pick up a lot of skills in there including, apparently, advanced lock picking.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  8. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Free Member

142 44
    Can we please ban everyone who replied to this thread with generic, useless and often US-centric advice, just to get a post out there to promote their business?

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  9. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,893 1,317
    There really should be a thumbs down button...

No such things as a City & Guilds Qualification actually.

The only relation to City & Guilds is a tailored based award scheme... it's not a qualification, and until the Government states that being a Locksmith is a recognised trade it never will be...

With regards to your comment, it's not required... you're correct, I don't believe I said so... however the MLA provide the only decent Locksmith course in the country, hence why it's a lot more expensive than the other courses that are out there... who suggest that you can become a Lockie within 5 days of training... it takes a hell of a lot longer to become a Locksmith, purely because of the many different manufacturers of locking products out on the market... and it's continuing growth and constant changes to standards and regulations in the country mean that it's not something someone can just take a 5 day course for and start up without knowledge of fire, Risk & Health & Safety along with building regulations, knowledge of the DDA etc etc... the list is pretty endless to be honest and it's still growing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011