Thunderbird - Limiting how many emails to download when creating account

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by UKSBD, Sep 30, 2020.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,230 2,009
    I've always used Opera Mail as my email client, it hasn't been supported for a number of years, starting to get the odd niggle, so moving some accounts to Thunderbird

When adding a new account to Thunderbird (using pop3) is there a way to limit how many emails it downloads from the server?

I've read you can do it after creating the account, but doesn't creating the account automatically start the messages downloading?

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

263 44
    I dont believe there are any settings to achieve your goal. Only to auto delete messages older than x days. Which with POP means permanent deletion.

What I'm really puzzled about though is why do you want to use POP3 - its so old and outdated and IMAP is far more superior, allowing you to access email from several programs while leaving emails on the server at all times.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  3. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,573 391
    Why would you want to limit the number of downloads with POP3? You would end up not getting some messages, surely?

There is a setting to only delete messages from the server after a certain number of days.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  4. UKSBD

10,230 2,009

Because I want to see how I get on with Thunderbird before deciding to use it as my main client 1st

I probably have 10,000+ messages on the server, but when creating an account on Thunderbird I don't want it to retrieve all 10,000+ again

5. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

10,029 2,695
    Not sure if it will work with POP3, but try turning off the 'Global Search and Indexer' (Settings>Advanced).

It's years ago now, but the developers made a brain dead decision to turn this on by default. It's a disaster with large IMAP stores, as it works by downloading every single email in full in order to index them. Not necessary if you have server side indexing and search, and with large spools it will take ages and saturate your connection.

Definitely turn it off before connecting to an IMAP account. Then it will only download headers.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  6. UKSBD

10,230 2,009

Thanks
    I switched it off, added one account ant it still retrieved the emails.
    Only 1000+ plus though, but amazingly quick.

I'll just add the bigger accounts then just move the emails to to deleted

7. gpietersz

1,573 391
    If you are keeping emails on your server long term, you probably should be using IMAP.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  8. UKSBD

10,230 2,009

I don't, I delete most permanently as they come though, a lot more after 12 months and only keep a few more than 12 months.

They still build up though despite dong that :-(

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  9. gpietersz

1,573 391
    12 months is long term! What I would mean by short term, is something like "until the next backup so I can recover emails if the drive crashes unrecoverable".

Do you keep them on your desktop to the same schedule to.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  10. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,213 264
    If you use IMAP in TB you can set it to sync a certain number of days only. (when you want more you can ask for more). Using IMAP will also allow you to use multiple clients, and keep them in sync, e.g. TB, your smartphone (k9 is the best on android) and Opera Mail if you like, multiple clients, multiple devices.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  11. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,213 264
    Another thing I would suggest if you have lots of email like me is the addon "Awesome Auto Archive". It will archive IMAP folders to your local profile on a schedule for backup (I keep local TB file in a cloud folder) freeing up space used on your mail server IMAP account.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  12. Naheed Mir

Naheed Mir UKBF Contributor Free Member

90 7
    You can download only headers by default by only configure a POP account.
    You just require to generate a message filter that downloaded the message
    body for five hundred messages every time you ran it manually.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM By: Naheed Mir Member since: Aug 10, 2020