Thoughts on using "consultancy fee" income in an existing retail business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Noah, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,042 250
    Hypothetical scenario : The leading shareholder and director (LS-D) in a retail business (Biz-R) has an opportunity to participate in a separate project that could earn a decent wedge; there is a connection between the nature of the project and the retail business, so it seems to make sense, for mutual benefit, for LS-D to participate as "LS-D of Biz-R"). LS-D therefore thinks that aforementioned wedge should be subsequently invested in Biz-R.

I know there are all sorts of other considerations here, but I am still working on teasing them out, so for now the question is : What mechanism might work for LS-D to put the money into Biz-R?

This is in the bookkeeping / accounting context, rather than shares / equity, etc.; i.e. Biz-R currently only generates income by selling stuff to customers; how might a "consultancy fee" be shown on the books?

Note that there are personal reasons why LS-D would not want to just trouser the money, so debate on that possibility is not worthwhile.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

14,495 3,102
    get Biz-R to send an invoice to the customer with "Consultancy services provided by LS-D" as the description.

In the Profit and Loss Account it should appear as a line below Gross Profit.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Noah

1,042 250
    Yes, when I mulled this over I realised I was probably over-complicating it. Thanks for confirming.

Are there any implications of tax-dodging or money-laundering regulations?

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

14,495 3,102
    Posted: Dec 9, 2018 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Noah

1,042 250
    Good point. I reckon "No" as LS-D is an employee of Biz-R in role as Director (and is on payroll), and the invoice will be payable to Biz-R :
    Thanks for your help - no more questions implied, I don't want to over-tax your free advice quota!

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009