The Wired has a good artice on GDPR

Discussion in 'General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Forum' started by Awinner2, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

340 64
    Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
  2. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,188 207
    @Awinner2 . Thanks for a good clear item.
    I'd qualify it in one area though. It says -

"There are potential loopholes in the law. It allows businesses to process personal data without consent for limited reasons, including a business’s “legitimate interests,” which the European Commission says includes “direct marketing,” through mail, email, or online ads."

In various exchanges on these forums I'm fast reaching the conclusion that Legitimate Interest isn't the loop hole that many would like to think it is.

The real test will be how well GDPR, PECR and DPA regulations are enforced. Here in the UK the ICO is recruiting 200 more over two years, that will take the ICO payroll to 700.

Is that enough?

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,925 8,793
    Agree with this. Just because you hold data for processing doesn't mean you can then use that data for other means.

Legitimate Interest means you can use the data to let a customer know if an order has been dispatched, a car is a due an MOT or something directly related to the product or service they requested. It's doesn't mean you can use that data to let them know of a 'product that may be of interest to you'.

I'm now getting emails from companies asking if it's OK for them to keep may data and/or use that data for marketing. So it shows some companies are being responsible.

The recent news about Facebook and personal data should indicate that this isn't another cookie law thing, this is serious stuff.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,188 207
    Absolutely. Legitimate Interest is tied down fairly tightly, yet the article refers to it as a possible loophole. It's that conception I would challenge.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  5. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

340 64
    I envisage very large legal fees being earned as with all new legislation. Both in advising clients and then challenging decisions/interpreting the regulations.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.