The Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by lightload, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    These really are very good.

I tried one for a while in a couple of local pubs - it's a strange experience to say the least!!!

You spend half the time embarrassed as most people can tell it's not real, and would probably question if it's worth it - may as well just stop.

However the other half are the busy-bodies and finger waggers, and it's a lot of fun to wind these people up. Start smoking a realistic glowing fag that emits puffs of smoke and you hear the subdued comments as a wife subtly pushes her husband look at what she is seeing. After only a matter of moments you will notice them trying to attract the attention of the pub staff so that the smoker can be removed.

Normally at this stage the landlord appears and is so miffed at my blatant disregard for the smoking ban he fails to notice the device I'm holding contains batteries. Then, the debate starts that it still produces smoke, and is therfore illegal in his pub - which it does not and it isn't.

Luckily these devices come with cards that have the relevant laws printed on them which can be produced to settle a debate. Obviously the landlord won't like backing down, and the 'horrified' party at the next table will think it's a joke.

So it's probably not something to try in a pub you want to get along with!

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  2. movietub

4,859 1,109
    But you still have to walk past the smokers to get in. If there was a seperate room (in fact, just the smoking room that most old pubs had anyway!) and this was fitted with air scrubbers, it would be healthier still (for the non smokers).

That way pubs could choose based on what their customers wanted - which is really what the service industry should be about.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. katy25

katy25 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 4
    These air scrubbers supposed to be very good then. Sometimes it's impossible to sit in such rooms because of the smoke. But I would agree with you it's not a bad idea to have separate rooms. Anyway it's better for you quit smoking and all the problems would be solved.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: katy25 Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  4. movietub

4,859 1,109
    They reallys are very good actually. There are all sorts of toxins in the air in a pub, germs from people, spores from woodwork and dried ale, smoke from smokers and any fire or candles. By passing the air through carbon or similar it is genuinly cleaner than even smoke free air would have been.

Thats why you're now more likely to catch a cold on an airplane - because since they banned smoking, they could turn off the air scrubbers (saves fuel = money), and the air quality decreased. Amazing but true!

5. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,803 572

Typical non-smoker statement :)

If it were that easy, don't you think we'd all do it? :)

Over the years I've tried all sorts. Willpower alone, nicotine replacement, vile mouthwashes, books telling me why smoking is "baaaad m'kaaaay", hypnotism CDs, you name it. I've come to the conclusion it's easier to just give up giving up - at least that's something I can achieve :rolleyes:

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  6. katy25

17 4
    :):):):)

You wouldn’t believe but I’m a smoker. And I don’t really like this fact and trying to give it up)))))))) Although I’m a smoker I don’t like when people smoke in pubs including myself)

7. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,803 572

Fair play and sorry for my mistake :)

I actually don't mind the smoking ban - forces me to exercise more self-control. I tend to smoke more when I'm drinking, so having to go outside suits me fine :) And means I don't have to irritate non-smoking friends by blowing smoke near them :)

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  8. katy25

17 4
    Yes))))))) absolutely agree. When I am in a bar and drinking I can smoke a pack of cigarettes during one evening) easy....that's why I don't mind the ban either.

9. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

3,985 842
    It's a nice idea but unless you give each smoker a little air tube to blow directly into you'll still be sitting in a smoky room, a little less smoky than pre-ban but it'll still be enough to affect all the patrons.

Much better to hold your breath for a few seconds and bundle through the hunched, shivering addicts on the way in and out, but have a nice smoke-free environment in which to enjoy your drink and/or dinner.

Although I vaguely remember hearing about suggestions to ban smoking within x metres of the entrances of public places which would solve both problems, but is possibly a step too far for the poor blighters.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  10. mobyme

mobyme UKBF Ace Free Member

2,559 759
    Last summer we held a huge open air barbecue, my wife who is a non smoker thought we ought to make it a non smoking event; I wouldn't agree so we compromised and roped off a separate area for smokers complete with it's own bar and barbecue.
    What a fiasco! I would love to know who all these non smokers are; we finished up with about 450 people in the smoking area, and about 60 in the non smoking area which had been allocated the majority of the space, food and booze.
    We couldn't change things round easily because in our wisdom we had hired a marquee with sides in for the non smokers while the smoking area one just had a roof and two sides.
    The whole event was basically ruined down to accommodating the preferences of the non smokers.
    When we sent out the invitations we had no idea who was a smoker and who wasn't except for a few close friends.
    Even then one of the non smoking people had the nerve to tell me that it was a pity that I had allowed smoking because it had spoiled the event for her. I am not going to tell you what my reply was but it wasn't pleasant.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: mobyme Member since: Jan 12, 2004
  11. Cobby

3,985 842
    You segregated the party (and along a controversial line, too). Why are you surprised it turned out like it did?
    If you'd made it all non-smoking or all-smoking you'd probably have had a few people from either side of the fence not turn up at all, but the rest of the party would have been fine. A lesson for you in human nature!

12. mobyme

mobyme UKBF Ace Free Member

2,559 759
    I didn't segregate anybody; I pandered to my wife's political correctness and provided a choice. I made the mistake of listening to her and her friends who believed there were far more non smokers than smokers and allocated them the larger area.
    The barbecue on the whole was a huge success; it just turned into a lot more work in one overcrowded area.
    I will be doing similar this year only the non smokers will be designated a much smaller area down by the river where the midges are. :D
    I never had any strong views about smokers and non smokers prior to this but it seems to me now, that it is a minority dictating to a majority (who are not all smokers) who couldn't give a toot one way or the other. Even the Mrs agrees and that's a first.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 By: mobyme Member since: Jan 12, 2004
  13. Cobby

3,985 842
    Two marquees, two barbecues, two areas. Each area assigned by categorising people as smokers or non-smokers. Sounds like they were segregated! Don't view them as smokers and non-smokers, view them simply as guests!

During the summer, I held a couple of barbecues for friends as 'lock ins' behind my café. I asked people to step out of the garden into the street if they wished to smoke. They did so without complaint and everybody had a great time; the smokers didn't even mention it. Hope you have as much success next time!

14. movietub

4,859 1,109
    There is no chance of smoke escaping so long as it's a seperate room. The air scrubbers drag air from the door to the back. It also allows for staff to get in to clean/empty ashtrays at zero risk as the air would be cleared within a short time after the last smoker left.

Of course it sounds like a lot of hassle... But ask a pub thats on it's backside since the ban and they would probably jump at the chance. Also remember that as soon as one pub did, they would probably see an increase in smoker custom.

As I said before, I wish they would just ban cigs full stop. But it's wrong to force businesses to become less friendly to a large % of their customers, especially if there were alternatives available. Is this really what we pay the government for? If people wanted non smoking pubs they would have been all over the place. The government is better to focus on issues such as global financial meltdown, and let the pub going customers vote with their feet if there is a problem with smoking!

15. business.is.my.life

business.is.my.life UKBF Newcomer Free Member

51 4
    To bring up an old comment... I'm a smoker, and managed to get away with 'fag breaks' all the time, whic I myself found unfair to the non-smoker. Though still, now coming up to 2011 after the smoking ban being in place for so long, should it not be allowed that (for instance) a pub called "THE SMOKERS INN" should be able to apply for a licence to allow smoking in their establishment?

1) Surely any non-smoker would not go into a place called "The smokers inn"
    2) It becomes clear it is the customers choice whether or not to enter
    3) What harm does it cause the customer if they've entered willingly knowing the facts.....

I understand the smoking ban, I used to hate smokers (before I became one), but still..to ban it in ALL pubs/clubs is extreme

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 By: business.is.my.life Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  16. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    I don't understand how the UK government can make such a major issue out of something they shouldn't be meddling in the first place. Makes me glad to be an expat and not dealing with all their nonsense.

If non smoking pubs were in big demand, then even without a single law, market forces would have created them.

I don't think there is any health issues in having customers smoke, as if its a smoking bar, as a non smoker I know this before I go, and can make the choice whether to attend or not.

I'm not sure why they didn't just let the landlords choose, but change job seekers regulations so that no person seeking employment could be penalised (via jobseekers allowance/any other of the multiple freebies they are on) for turning down the chance of employment where customers were allowed to smoke.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 By: JohnnyCash Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  17. business.is.my.life

business.is.my.life UKBF Newcomer Free Member

51 4
    This is exactly my point....if consumers and landlords had a CHOICE in the matter, then surely both would benefit. The consumer could choose whether of not they would like to enter...and the ownder of the pub could make the decision on how it would effect their business

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 By: business.is.my.life Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  18. Cobby

3,985 842
    The point was if the air is cleared a 'short time' after the last smoker, then it's not zero risk. If you can so much as smell it then it's doing harm. I don't think forcing pubs to spend thousands of pounds for a big fan would have been a very good idea.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  19. JoyDivision

JoyDivision UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,713 189
    I personaly as a none smoker love the smoking ban and I go out clubbing a lot more because of it. I used to hate clubbing because I of the air quality.

I used to always try and aim to go to none smoking pubs too :).

Ireland was my first taste of this heaven.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 By: JoyDivision Member since: Sep 25, 2005
  20. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    As a smoker it never really bothered me . I feel sorry for all the non smokers that had our smoke stuffed in their faces. In terms of human rights it's bang on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Posted: Dec 23, 2010 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.