The Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by lightload, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

13,198 1,481
    Steve, think I listen to as many about where you live, as you do about where we live now ...

So, not smoking in enclosed public areas comes under morality and beliefs does it?? I rather think you are looking too deeply into this ... several factors influenced this decision ... Europe, that place some think we don't belong to is pushing for it generally, the lobbyists are pushing for it on behalf of the various cancer charities etc and also economics are now coming in to it.

So, then, we shouldnt listen to government and save some lives, JUST IN CASE, they might try and influence everything we do ... shouldn't we therefore be wary of everything ??

You will be coming up with a conspiracy theory next!

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  2. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Didn't you hear that the prime minister's bit on the side has purchased the exclusive rights to sell government-authorised nicotine patches? ;)

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  3. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    I think this subject has run out of Puff ;)

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  4. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    Perhaps it's time to stub it out. :D

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  5. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    Too many people are becoming the butt of these awful jokes. It's time to smoke out the perpetrators.

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  6. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    I'd like to try and re light it though.......

d

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  7. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    your getting confused Steve .

you put the patches on your side.

all of them not a bit :|

P.S which prime minister?

Posted: Jul 9, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  8. Guest

0 0
    I will give you some information which you probably already know but I'm happy to remind you exists... I'm good like that.

Smoking suppresses the taste buds and so when people give up smoking their taste buds get a new lease of life and people tend to eat more because they enjoy food much more (and food is also a substitute for a cigarette, which is where the extra snacking comes in). All this helps explain the weight gain.

I suggest before you attempt to give up, you keep a food diary and note EVERYTHING you eat for a few weeks. When you give up smoking, adhere to this food diary and the calorie count for as long as it takes and this should help prevent, or minimise, the weight gain. This should help solve one of the problems you face in your attempt to give up (of course all this will involve additional willpower).

You can of course chew on your fingernails in frustration, if you so wish. However, be warned, I'm not sure how much that will help the hunger pangs! Some sugar free chewing gum and one of those fake cigarettes might also help (would explain further why but fear you'll have dosed off by now), as might ranting and raving at your husband (but this I wouldn't recommend). A trip to the Gym might be better - by giving a punch bag a good leathering you could work off some of that frustration and help prevent that possible weight gain at the same time!

Now what's that motto? Being cruel to be kind...

Always happy to help.

Posted: Jul 12, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  9. Clementine

Clementine UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 0
    I was thinking about the comments made before in this thread about the lost revenue the government would have to consider if a large number of people give up smoking.

I also thought it was an interesting point about the fact that people tend to eat more when they have given up - for the reasons Gill has stated above.

I then saw on the news about the government's plan to levy a tax on food (did anyone else see that).

The government was never really going to take a hit for the common good where they? They just tax something else to keep the money coming in. They must think we are all fools. (Are we?)

Steve - it's happening already. This government is really starting to 'extract the urine' so to speak.

Clem.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Clementine Member since: Apr 27, 2007
  10. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Clem:
    Where was this? I saw a report that some half arzed bunch of reject polytechnic lecturers in a self appointed 'fink tank' thought that this might be a good idea, but I haven't seen a green paper, or official statement.
    (Although it might be the 've is the meisters now' Eurocrats.)

Just asking. I trust this shower in power as much as I trust some of the Snakeoil Ecommerce Optimizers..:)

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  11. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Yep nothing formal about it, just some yadder this morning on the radio about how they should charge a tax on certain things such chocolate ... horrible stuff anyhow!

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  12. Guest

0 0
    Apologies, it's been a while since I read the thread and I skipped some posts and didn't realise Gill had made these points.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  13. Clementine

Clementine UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 0
    Sorry Dawn I meant you.

It shows how the government will try to ban everything and tax everything if we give them the chance.

It was mentioned on GMTV I think (I was concentrating more on my cornflakes) but as far as I am concerned stories will get leaked before publication to get a 'feel' for the reception. If there isn't much apparent objection then procedures will begin.

Not that I am paranoid - but I would prefer to 'nip it in the bud' rather than let this government get a stranglehold on our daily lives.

Clem.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Clementine Member since: Apr 27, 2007
  14. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Hey if this government are seriously going to put some money into the obesity problem ... brilliant ... but I think this one is just a few murmurings in the corridors!

15. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    Lifestyle mandated by law. Is that really what you want?

A majority don't like chocolate, so let's tax chocolate for being unhealthy. A a majority don't like Formula One racing, so let's tax those events for being dangerous. A majority don't like chewing gum, so let's tax it because it's a disgusting habit.

Everything's just hunkydory until the government chooses to tax a habit you happen to enjoy.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  16. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Can we answer yes or no, or do we have to refer to Hegel, Berlin et al?

On a lighter note..
    The sun is shining, I've just walked the tasters, and outside the pubs are people smoking away. And gawd do they look awful; grubby, unshaven, rheumy eyed..you really wouldn't want to go into an establishment with them as customers. Previously they were in the dark corners and less noticable. This, I think, will damage the pub trade more than just the ban: the visibly 'orrible meatware that are the clients.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  17. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Steve, as usual, you take everything to extremes .. think you should change your name ...

Did I say that I wanted government to mandate anything to do with eating ... merely stated that I wish they would put some money into it, so we don't get as bad as that wonderful USA place that you live in Steve!

18. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    I still cannot see how the smoking ban has lead to all these discussions about taxing chocolate, or other such things.

The smoking ban is put in place to protect the health of workers and nothing more. If it causes a few people to sit up and take notice, maybe even stop, then this is an added bonus.

The thought that the government are now going to go crazy and start trying to control every aspect of our life has no real substance to it at all.

I agree with Gill (and not just because I'm afraid not to ;) ) in that the government should put some money into promoting healthier eating, etc. This is not 'controlling' us - but gently reminding us of what needs to be done in this mad, fast-paced world we all now live in.

If the government took a demented stance and tried to ban achohol - I and most other people would ignore them. If they told me they were rationing the chocolate I can eat - then I would be buying it on the black market.

The smoking ban is completely different because it is not designed to inhibit me in any way - it is just a method of ensuring that I do not kill other people with my smoke (and rightly so).

Laws are designed to get us all to behave in an acceptable manner. If there comes a time when laws are created which make no sense to me - then I will not be abiding by them, period.

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  19. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Bloody hell Mark ... nicely phrased! And you ain't scared of me so don't lie!

20. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    See how a couple of days off sharpens the mind? ;)

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.