The Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by lightload, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    As a general comment - note the word GENERAL - smokers are usually inconsiderate. It's taken legislation to protect others from being poisoned. Sorry to polarise the situation but I think it's as black and white as that and nothing in this thread has changed my mind.

I think we will see more legislation like this. It's sad. I blame the "It's all about me" society. if people genuinely did consider the implications of their actions we could get rid of many laws. It's not going to happen.

I'd like to see fog lights banned next, banned as is in not allowed on cars unless you have a license to show you've passed the 'when to use fog lights' test!!

;)

d

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  2. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598
    I can't wait to see alcohol banned from pubs.

Think it can't happen?...

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  3. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    Yeah, it really bugs me when I can smell other people's beer when I'm having a pint. And getting home with my clothes smelling of beer and lager is horrible. As for all that passive drinking......don't get me started!

d

4. Eagle

5,382 598
    I know what you mean. All those thousands of people in casualty wards all over the country every single day. Nasty, vicious crimes such as 'smoke-driving', 'smashing someone's face-in whilst under the influence of nicotine' and the infamous "you starin' at my lighter?" type incidents.

"Bar tender!" - a pack of 20 wife-beater, please...

5. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

13,198 1,481
    Now why do I get the impression this debate has fallen between the lines and is getting silly??

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  6. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    We are talking about smoking, specifically in environments where non smokers are forced to inhale other peoples smoke.

If you want to get into a discussion about the social challenges facing 21st century Britain (alcohol, drugs, social inequity etc) then that's fine but let's not go off topic on this specific subject.

7. Eagle

5,382 598
    I don't think it's going off-topic. Just pointing out the incredible irony.

8. Roark

Roark UKBF Newcomer Free Member

117 3
    I smoke and I am all for the ban.

No more nicotine chambers at my coffee pub- it was enough to make a person sick - you could cut the smoke with a knife.

I've smoked outdoors for the better part of 8 years, as others shouldn't have to ingest this pollution.

Next I think fat people, ugly people, and others will become subjects of societies new wave approach toward the common good. We should be sensible and somewhat careful with the judgements that society- erm goverment is starting to make.

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Roark Member since: Jul 6, 2007
  9. Guest

0 0
    I don't smoke and am happy I never took it up.

However, a lot of factors come in to play when trying to quit and although it is easy for some people to quit, I can fully appreciate that for others it can prove immensely difficult, if not impossible, to give up. I like to think I can appreciate both sides of the argument.

Good luck to anyone trying to give up - I wish you success. That's all I wanted to say really.

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  10. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    Hi Dantiunpro

I am sorry you don't understand my analogy. Don't try and look into it so deep.

My example was in direct response to your claim that people should have the "right" or "freedom of choice" to do whatever they want where they want, especially if they have been doing it for years.

I have said throughout this thread that society moves on and things that were once acceptable practices in public become unacceptable. When these things are outlawed those affected will protest that their "rights" or "freedom of choice" have been withdrawn. I chose public urination and defecation as an example but I could equally have chosen other practices that occurred for centuries such as the keeping of slaves. when slavery was abolished there was much opposition, in fact it led to civil war in the USA. People had "owned" slaves for years and thought their "rights" were being withdrawn when they were asked to set them free.

I know my example may seem a little extreme but can you not see that nobody has the "right" to do what they please. If society progresses to the point where an a activity becomes offensive to the majority of the population and they choose to legislate against it then I am afraid those "rights" no longer exist.

Let's not forget smoker's have not been told they can no longer smoke. They have only been told they cannot do it where it could have an adverse health effect on others, What is so different to the 'toilet' analogy?

You mentioned the legislation in place to ensure that 'adequate toilet facilities" were provided for. Before you make this comparison you should remember that going to the toilet is a basic human need whereas smoking is a luxury. You cannot seriously expect legislation to require facilities to provide for a minority 'luxury' activity in every establishment.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  11. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    But you don't choose to urinate or defecate for pleasure; they are bodily necessities. Do you think the government should mandate the use of anti-perspirants because of the new awareness of BO? We all sweat, but let's make it more tolerant for everyone else.

On the other hand, we choose to drink or smoke or watch sports because it's fun, enjoyable, and social. OK, there are adverse health issues, but that's true of most things that are fun. Imagine how dull life would be if the government forced us to live the most healthy lives possible.

Actually, the US civil war was really a clash between industrial and agricultural societies. Abraham Lincoln was just clever enough to claim a moral issue (no matter how unjustified) because it made his cause more 'right'.

Would you like to bet me on this one? Once you give the government an inch, it will take a mile. Let's give it 20 years before smoking is made illegal. In the meantime, smokers will be discriminated against more and more, losing government services, health coverage, and so on.

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  12. Elfin

Elfin UKBF Regular Full Member

149 17
    I can see why they've banned it but there are some hidden bonuses that will be lost. Going out for a fag at work turned out to be a fantastic way of networking with other staff in different departments. The amount of brainstorming, information exchange and technical issue resolution that went on during fag breaks was astounding. I'm self-employed these days, but I would certainly miss it if I were still working for big IT companies.

I think they've backed the wrong horse though - I'd have gone for an general alcohol ban long before considering a smoking ban. More benefits to be had for all.

Ellie

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Elfin Member since: Sep 28, 2006
  13. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    Agreed

People keep bringing up comparisons with alcohol but fail to see that that the legislation that has just been brought in was to solve a problem that is unique to smoking.

As you say alcohol brings it's own problems but that's not the issue here.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  14. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Hate to say this, but it is Sunday evening: Elfin; smoking stunts yer growth...:)

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  15. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    The smoking ban is here to stay - we all have to learn to go along with it.

There will never be a drinking ban - the Yanks taught us that it does not work. It just would be impossible to deal with.

The comparison between the smoking ban and any potential drinking ban is wrong anyway. The smoking ban is in place to protect the 'innocent' who do not want to smoke from having to. There is no law stopping people smoking - just stopping them from poisoning others around them in the workplace.

Dawg - you got that one first :D

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  16. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Yes but we are to believe Mark, that the no smoking in public places is either not as bad as drinking, or the first step to being told what to eat/drink/wear ... I mean can't you see it??

We are told by Steve (who by the way lives in a country ruled by a man who is more in favour of controlling his populas than over here) that we should stand up to government and not let our civil liberties be destroyed ... can anyone else see the irony here??

17. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    Sorry Gillie not quite following that. Are you saying the smoking ban is the thin end of the wedge?

d

18. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    So members of the government are the paragons of virtue we should strive to emulate? Are they all non-smokers? Do MPs themselves believe they must refrain from smoking on trains, etc.?

19. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    I was merely pointing out the irony of Steve and his statement that the British Government is trying to tell us what to do and we should stand up to them, and yes he lives in a country that is more controlled by its powers that be, than we are!

20. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    I think you've been listening to too many so-called commentators! ;) Having visited over 70 countries around the world, I have first-hand experience of some very controlling environments. Where I am right now is definitely not one of them and, on the whole, neither is Britain. This is one reason I have voiced concerns in this thread, because once the government starts to meddle with our personal lives - especially in areas of morality, beliefs, and behaviour - it's rather difficult to stop it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.