General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

The Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by lightload, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightload

lightload UKBF Newcomer Free Member

40 0
    The smoking ban comes into play soon, how is this going to affect you and your staff. Do you think it is right that this ban has been brought into the work place, or do you think there could have been another solution.

After reading a lot of newspapers about this and forums, people have said they would prefer to leave their job rather than not being able to smoke,

Does this ban not come under the Human Rights law? I am not a smoker so I do not have a problem of not being able to smoke but I do feel for the people within the work place who have to go through the day without having a cig.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: lightload Member since: Mar 8, 2006
  2. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    We are well into the ban here in Scotland. IT ROCKS!!
    d

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  3. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

13,198 1,481
    England is the last one to get it, so if it was against human rights act, which of course it aint, cos its against my human rights act to put up with smokers ... fraid you will just have to put up with it or be fined!!

Tough ... I get fined if I drink in a public place which is my bad habit ...

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  4. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    I'll drink to that!

d

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  5. asonda

asonda UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,657 302
    This ban, is an absolute F-ing pleasure, and I can't bleedin wait for it to come into action, I can't stand smoke full stop!

It's a good idea! I have a client, that has loads of staff, the smokers take the piss and use the fags as an excuse for a break, these are lazy twunks at their best. (not saying ALL smokers do that but I know more that do, then don't)

This client, is making a shelter up outside the building, just so smokers can go there and have a smoke! It's a luxury and dirty habit, smoking should be banned full stop, and made illegal...

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: asonda Member since: Jan 28, 2007
  6. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    I'm just waiting for a smoker to head this way and say how hard done to they are etc etc etc, blah blah blah ....

Can I help it if they aint got any will power and a brain of their own??

Go on please .... someone come argue with me!!

7. miketombs

miketombs UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

536 29
    I used to work for a company where the office was a converted house, owned by the MD and right next door to where he lived. The boundary wall had been taken down, and in the mornings he would wander across, cigar in hand and followed by his dogs. No-one else smoked in the building, but he polluted everywhere except my office, because I told him that it was a filthy habit that I didn't want in my space. It shouldn't need a change in law, it should simply need common courtesy on the part of the nicotine addicts.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: miketombs Member since: Jan 13, 2007
  8. CarolineICE

CarolineICE UKBF Newcomer Free Member

348 5
    Even though I am a smoker, it doesn't bother me either way. To be honest, as I have 2 small children, I don't get out that much anyway so the ban won't affect me.

Having said that, having a car that I use for business throws up all sorts of potential problems even though I own the car, it's not the property of my Company. I can't smoke whilst carrying passengers on my Company business. Fair enough, I wouldn't smoke anyway.But how is this enforcable? If I was stopped by police because I was smoking in MY CAR, I am hardly likely to admit I was using said car for Company business! How could they prove otherwise?

I think though that on the whole the smoking ban is a positive thing. Anyone that smokes knows that it is bad for them. That is a no brainer. Even though I don't smoke that much (maybe 5 a day) this might give me the impetus to stop which can only be a good thing!

Caroline

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: CarolineICE Member since: Jul 19, 2006
  9. AlphOmega

AlphOmega UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

670 8
    This ban is disgraceful. Whats next banning unhealthy foods?

Surely if so many people were against smoking then most pubs would be non smoking anyway.

This is an infringement on human rights and freedom from the same country with other screwed up laws which enforce me to wear a crash helmet when riding my motorbike - it should be my choice.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: AlphOmega Member since: May 21, 2006
  10. Smudge

Smudge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

202 5
    I'm an ex-smoker and I hate smoking, so bring it on!

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: Smudge Member since: Mar 9, 2007
  11. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    But its my choice not to have you smoke around me, yet I never get asked! Mmmm works both ways!

12. AlphOmega

AlphOmega UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

670 8
    Its also your choice to stand near me!

**EDIT** Depends on the location to the above statement

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: AlphOmega Member since: May 21, 2006
  13. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    So why should my movements be restricted then?? Isnt that harming my human rights in having the ability to stand wherever I want as you seem to think you can??

14. asonda

3,657 302
    Smokings bad for you, just quit! back in the good old days, there wasn't any of this, omg I'm so addicted, I need a billion nicotine patches...

Just stop smoking, and thats it, no more worries!

Smoking has become, a culturally acceptable dirty bad habit. about time the government did something to try and protect us, and to try and prevent you smokers!

15. CarolineICE

348 5
    I think that smoking is a culturally UNacceptable habit. I feel really embarrassed if I want to have a ciggie and hardly ever smoke in public. However I wish it was as easy as 'just giving up'. I've tried a few ways. My hubbie gave up via hypnosis a few years ago and I think I might try the same thing. It's a vile habit that kills. Even knowing that I smoke, but I do really want to give up. Making it more socially unacceptable makes me more determined to try.

Caroline

16. Pilfo

Pilfo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

786 26

We don't have to stand near you...it can be smelt a mile off!

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: Pilfo Member since: Apr 5, 2005
  17. asonda

3,657 302
    Good for you Caroline...Good for You. When I see people smoke, I don't think, ewww you dirty person, I think you poor person, Imagine what it could be doing for your health...

So keep trying girl! you'll get there!

18. Pilfo

Pilfo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

786 26
    It's the kids I don't understand. Why do they start smoking at a young age (think it's cool and makes them look 'hard') knowing what we know nowadays?

Pilfo

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 By: Pilfo Member since: Apr 5, 2005
  19. CarolineICE

348 5
    Could you be my personal cigarette giver upper tutor please?!

And yes, I dread to think what I am doing to my health. I want to see my kids grow up but it is not easy! I also dread putting on weight, being irritable...etc....all bad excuses!:rolleyes:

20. Gillie

13,198 1,481
    Caroline, pathetic excuses!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.