The end?

Discussion in 'COVID-19 Forum' started by Bluejen84, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,064 2,593
    Here in the UK we instead have the NHS.

I'd have used a lifetime's worth by age 8. Without obesity in any way.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  2. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,230 975
    Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with at least 2.8 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese. More than twice road deaths.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  3. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,467 209
    A lifetimes "discretionary" health problems by age 8? That means thing you have a choice over such as smoking, diet, alcohol.

I think not.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. dan19900

dan19900 UKBF Regular Free Member

258 45
    Smokers save the NHS loads of money, dying of lung cancer nice & quickly is much cheaper than dying of 'old age'. That's before even mentioning the extra taxes they pay.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: dan19900 Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  5. Mr D

22,064 2,593
    How much is an ambulance trip?
    How much is moving a sick child from a hospital to a children's hospital?
    How much is over a week in intensive care? How much is multiple surgeries? How much is physio?

Not my discretion.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Mr D

22,064 2,593

Indeed - plenty of the health problems reduce government payouts on pension.
    Ideal person from government point of view works 40+ years full time then dies before retiring.
    Another 30+ years of pension payment costs government considerably.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,467 209
    Exactly. So covered by the NHS rather than my mooted lifetime fund.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Bluejen84

Bluejen84 UKBF Regular Free Member

114 35
    Anyhoo...

Last week for me was totally ordinary.

This week has bombed catastrophically.

What a difference a day makes. Battle stages tomorrow. I suspect I'll be closed by next week. Hopefully not forever!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Bluejen84 Member since: Feb 25, 2020
  9. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,375 1,252
    Expenses down, belts tightened.

You will come out of this in a couple of months (maybe a bit longer depending on how the situation is managed).

Good luck, stay safe & be well!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  10. Bluejen84

Bluejen84 UKBF Regular Free Member

114 35
    Thank you!

Just doesn't seem real?

Luckily main business is doing strong and should hopefully never have to close.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Bluejen84 Member since: Feb 25, 2020
  11. momon121

momon121 UKBF Regular Free Member

506 32
    I have just spoken to our suppliers and they have some continuity in their supplies however that is likely to be disrupted when the lockdown is announced.

Today the government have announced that all schools will be closed. I don’t know whether to go out and by more stock for my shop in case the footfall dramatically drops and it already is dropping day by day

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: momon121 Member since: Mar 30, 2010
  12. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

281 98
    I heard a historian say that every pandemic has resulted in social change. Will it be for the worse or the better....

if coronavirus is followed in Jan 2021 by a no trade deal and not extending the transition period....the economic shock is going to be interesting. Johnson and his cabinet are incompetent, they stand no chance of governing through that lot. Lies and propaganda wont work.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  13. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,291 233
    I'm just sad that at the first real tug the glue is coming unstuck.
    At age 70 I'm high risk, but more important is that my wife and lifelong buddy has a severe immune deficiency.
    That being so, we decided to voluntary self-isolate.

First job - groceries online - Morrisons allowed me to place an order with a 5 day delivery time. Longer than I would have liked but needs must.
    Second job - start planning for the next weeks groceries - Morrisons will only let me have one order running at a time. I have to wait for the first order delivery to place a second, later date, order.
    Third job - drug prescription delivery. Boots site will not accept any registration of payment method
    Fourth job - try to get alternative groceries to offset the bulk, once per week Morrisons issue, - tried Aldi - online only on a very restricted range - tried Iceland - accepts order but gives delivery on only tomorrow and the next day - both fully booked - no other alternatives.

Tomorrow I will try Tesco - who knows I might get lucky.

I have some knowledge of logistics and of IT infrastructure and I would have thought that extending lead time would give the supplier -
    1. More control over logistics
    2. A better handle on demand

Still, who am I?

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  14. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,965 1,943
    Some people wanted us to go in to this shut down 4 weeks ago.
    Imagine the chaos had that happened?

At least most sensible people have been preparing for this over the past 4 weeks, as I dare say most large companies, service providers, gov departments, etc.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  15. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,180 3,738
    Many local communities have set up schemes to help people. try searching facebook. I would suggest that Morrisons is not the best for online orders. I have a standard online order with Tesco. I order at least twice a month, on roughly the same dates. Usually I would order the day before delivery. I plan my next delivery on 31 March. I checked yesterday and I am lucky to get that date. I have heard the online deliveries have been closed to non-customers. You are in a priority group, I suggest you try Tesco help. Good luck, stay well.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Martin Patfield

Martin Patfield UKBF Contributor Full Member

79 18
    Supermarkets are offering the older generation a set time to go into their stores to get supplies. I haven't yet seen how this is marshalled.

You will be extremely, extremely lucky to manage anything online I suspect at this stage.

Just make sure you get to the shop early / get someone to go for you early in the morning. They can leave on the door step or something.

Supermarket Supply Chains over the last few years were being triggered to have "Right stock, right time" in the actual store. Obviously such huge demands and spikes like this cause issues trying to get enough goods into shops at the right time seeing as so many people want everything right then, right now.
    Suppliers do have enough stock ready to go.
    I'd only worry when the actual suppliers begin letting slip they are running low.

I have never, ever seen so many shelves, chillers, freezers so empty. Even at seasonal spikes as these are usually planned for up to a year in advance.

I guess the more people begin to fall ill, the less busy it will get.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  17. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,965 1,943
    Will that include high risk people too?

It will probably be like disabled parking,
    If someone gets out from a disabled parking bay and doesn't "look disabled" people will frown at them.

Are we going to be expected to show our medical exemption certificates everywhere we go :(

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  18. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,180 3,738
    It ignores the fact that bus passes cannot be used before 9.30 am.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  19. Martin Patfield

Martin Patfield UKBF Contributor Full Member

79 18
    I thought I read somewhere earlier that Stagecoach were to remove this in this climate for the time being.

Can't find it now though. Been a long day.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  20. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

135 56
    I think that is a little unfair. We're supposed to listen to experts and until very recently we were following the advice of a very distinguished professor at the top of the civil service. I certainly thought the plan sounded credible but then again I am not a virologist; the herd immunity stuff seemed sensible and like they knew what they were taking about. We've had a U-turn of epic proportions in about a week. And given it was the gov giving this advice and now policy is being made on the fly I personally daresay a lot of gov depts. aren't actually best prepared.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019