The end?

Discussion in 'COVID-19 Forum' started by Bluejen84, Mar 14, 2020.

1. momon121

momon121 UKBF Regular Free Member

506 32
    Continue to be positive - this is just another hurdle my friend, I am in the same boat as you. Share your thoughts, listen to the different advice and see if you can benefit from the information from this forum

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 By: momon121 Member since: Mar 30, 2010
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,375 1,252
    Yes, it's a business forum. I stick by my remark, sorry if it offended you. The OP asked for 'feelings' on how the virus will affect business.

I'm happy that you feel that the UK government's actions are going according to plan. I don't and am happy to be proved wrong. Unfortunately I am fully aware that the underlying cause to their strategy is that the NHS is woefully unprepared with HUGE shortages in basic equipment including testing equipment, protective clothing, ICU ventilators even BASIC MASKS. Add to this the fact that there is nowhere for patients who are infected to be treated in isolated centers. This is UNFORGIVABLE on part of the team looking after the health service.

Believe what you want to believe. Medical infrastructure should have been prepared already, at the very least since January when China was on red alert. To ask JCB this morning to start manufacturing ventilators is laughable, if it wasn't so sad. Who should be responsible for this shortage?

My assessment is not based on figures plucked from thin air. It's based on what testing numbers were carried out in other countries including S Korea, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Israel . . . . . .On average 5 times the number UK has tested. Why? They were prepared and have sufficient testing equipment,. The countries I've mentioned have all managed to contain the spread of the virus. There are many more countries who have followed suit that have controlled their numbers.

I lived with it in a village as well as all my employees, who also experienced the affect of the virus in a village. I saw at first hand the affect this virus had on local villages as well as cities. It has not reached you yet, but it will. When it does, you will feel the affect.

China came together as a community and looked and helped each other. The China government has given huge support to all businesses. Not sure that the UK will be as selfless in the most part.

You like knocking China, but will never praise it when they have done something good. That's he sad part.

I agree on exceptional medical and scientific people, but disagree on transparency. Who has seen the 'model' that they're relying on? What are all the factors that they have included? My guess is that they will follow the rest of Europe, in the way they will combat this virus.

You bash China (from afar) and that's your perogative. At the same time people should speak out when they see things happening which don't appear to be right (As you say this is not China).

Allowing planes in from all infected countries was hardly containment.

Not having ventilators ready. Not having a sufficient supply of masks for front line medics, let alone for the rest of the population. France requisitioned masks. Germany banned the export of all medical products to ensure they had sufficing for it's medical staff and population.

What did UK do? Asked JCB to manufacture ventilators. Laughable!

my comments are not based on UK v China (as you see it). Look at France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Norway . . . . . . . .Look how they have handled the situation.

And don't tell me that UK has a monopoly of great scientists.

Countries are putting the welfare of their citizens first.

UK government, sadly has another mission.

Yes, it's my opinion, based on what I can see happening.

That's the point of a forum.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. momon121

506 32
    Like OP I too have a small business and I anticipate some form of downturn. As always I come here looking for solutions or alternatives to make my business more adaptable and resilient. The only information that’s jumping out is too cutback on unnecessary spending and possibly take the business online which is already semi online business

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,064 2,593
    For every downturn there is a later opportunity to grow.

With economic downturns it can be hard to figure timescale for return to growth (barring opportunities the business owner should be on the look for anyway)..
    This is an external threat - the virus - which will have a knock on effect. But we can see reporting on that threat.
    So can see a lot easier when the external threat is reducing and the economy should recover.

Hunker down, keep an eye out, plan for growth.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. momon121

506 32
    That’s what I have doing all evening just planning on ways to stay alive. One of my plans is to deliver to different areas within certain range and get new trade where previously i have declined

6. Stas Lawicki

Stas Lawicki UKBF Regular Free Member

282 114
    I have two young boys (2 & 5). If and when the school and childminder decide to close, I'll suspend 95% of any business activities and look after them. It will affect my business and plans significantly but my attitude is : naff all I can do to stop what is happening so I'll make the most of it.

There is a great deal of variation in the resilience of businesses to deal with a sharp downturn in trade. With many hanging on by their finger nails it is going to be curtains for a good number of them, of all shapes and sizes. A good friend and I were chatting yesterday. He has a start up that is now making money, employing people, etc, and we agreed that we would put any large purchases or avoidable costs off until later in the year.

I've always advocated keeping as much cash available within a business as possible - specifically for unknown events or costs. I am sure some would disagree on here (I can think of one or two), but you never know what is around the corner. My business is secondary to my family and appreciating that others don't have that luxury for various reasons, I would sooner shut up shop to look after my kids or other family members and have to scrabble around for work to pay the bills than battle on blindly hoping things will change.

It's going to get tougher. It's going to take time to recover but we will get over this. I genuinely believe there will be people bouncing back stronger and more prepared than before - perhaps doing the same thing, maybe something entirely different, but those that are going to make it in life still will...

Good luck folks. If there is anything I can do ( not a plug for my services but genuine offer of help FOC), let me know.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  7. momon121

506 32
    Very kind of you to give some positive vibes ❤️

8. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,796 3,961
    [​IMG]
    Translation - "Who left the idiot-box open again and let them all out?"

Just when you thought that things couldn't get any more stupidly comic than they are already, we hear that ISIS is telling it's suicide bombers to avoid Europe as it is too dangerous and that the healing pool at Lourdes has been closed.

My guess is that more people will die of the economic effects of the over-reaction to this disease than of the disease itself. Of course, their deaths will be the slow and lingering deaths of neglect and poverty.

About 20,000 people die of the flu every year in the UK.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  9. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,965 1,943
    http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/resources-reports/social-inequalities-in-the-leading-causes-of-early-death-a-life-course-approach/social-inequalities-in-the-leading-causes-of-early-death-a-life-course-approach.pdf [PDF]

The worse the economy the worse social inequality will get - the more people will die early.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  10. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,230 975
    Perhaps after this Corona Virus panic is over we could concentrate on a far more deadly pandemic - OBESITY.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  11. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,435 1,644
    Unlikely, given the amount of pasta the fatties have bought up!

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  12. Mr D

22,064 2,593
    Over-reaction?

Or are people simply not getting how serious this is and not reacting in the way they should?

Were there people just over a century ago suggesting that people were over-reacting to this new flu?

How much food and loo roll would your house need to cope with 6 weeks of all people in the house being isolated?
    Or 4 months of being isolated?

Oh and those 20,000 plus who die of the flu?
    That's with a lifetime of the flu being around and may well have had multiple flu jabs over the years. And still die.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,796 3,961
    I'll be 70 this year, so I shall die in the not too distant future.

I have no intention of getting a flu jab or otherwise running about hysterically like a headless chicken, trying to avoid death. When death comes, I hope that I shall accept it with good grace and without allowing doctors to fiddle with me in some futile attempt to delay the inevitable.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  14. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,467 209
    Nah, road deaths. More than 3000 PER DAY worldwide.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  15. Mr D

22,064 2,593
    Great. How many times you had the flu?

You do of course benefit from those around you who have had the jab or who have had the strain of flu recently and therefore form a barrier to you not getting it.
    Some people can go decades without getting it.

This is not like the flu that way.

16. Mr D

22,064 2,593
    Some people just cannot accept that other people make decisions for themselves.

"You vill do az ve say regarding food."

17. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,467 209
    So give everyone a lifetime personal health budget to cover discretionary health problems. Let them live their life how they want and pay for the consequences.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  18. Bluejen84

Bluejen84 UKBF Regular Free Member

114 35
    I'm one of those fatties and I've bought no pasta! I'd be stocking up on chocolate and Ben & Jerrys naturally...

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Bluejen84 Member since: Feb 25, 2020
  19. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,435 1,644
    I prefer fresh food but hey, we all have a choice, right?

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  20. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,477 2,366
    Hi Byre
    Maybe we will meet up somewhere upstairs in the somewhat near future, we both seem to have a interesting life and I have no complaints
    Dont believe in God but may change my mind at St Peters Gates

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003