The Best E-Commerce Platforms Compared (How To Decide)

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by keeron, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamo

adamo UKBF Regular Free Member

117 11
    I'd be happy to recommend OpenCart to anyone with basic IT experience and able to install it on web hosting.

The back-end is clean, and you can see all the main figures straight from the dashboard without having to dig in too deep.

Although if you don't feel comfortable sorting out the hosting etc., you might be better going with a subscription-based service or having a company set it all up for you.

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 By: adamo Member since: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,426 629
    ...then just hope you don't hit any issues with extensions you've paid for impacting one another.

(or suffering slightly esoteric errors occasionally seen in the admin panel!)

Seriously, opencart is a good package, but if you hit problems down the line...just be well aware you're on your Jack Jones.... just remember - all those sexy little features you want that the basic package can't (puposely) do ...then that'll cost £££s you for an extension (which may or may not work with the extensions you've already shelled out for).

I'm all for cart software lurve (& opencart has many lurvers) ...but a potential user needs to be aware of the pitfalls.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Posted: Oct 4, 2013 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  3. keeron

keeron UKBF Newcomer Free Member

54 6
    Yeah !

Although i agree responsive themes are important, most of the themes available are already responsive. If a theme has been made in 2012 or 2013 then it will more than likely be responsive.

Over 65% use mobile devices to go online, i heard this on a few business podcasts, yet im unsure if this is true.

I would say at least 50% of people use mobiles and tablets to access the internet, SO YEAH responsive themes are very important.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: keeron Member since: Sep 6, 2013
  4. keeron

54 6
    Yep, i agree with you.

This is a downfall of CMS platforms such as Opencart, Prestashop and joomla.
    But luckily you can get the same Extensions for free if you look around for them. Some of them you do have to pay for though, but in the long run its still over 70% cheaper.

The reason i created this thread, is because i was in a dilemma to choose between Shopify, Bigcommerce or Magento Go. I would of had to pay $1500 - $3500 a year.

Magento Go - $1500 a year
    Shopify - $2500 a year
    Bigcommerce - $3588 a year

I didnt go with any of the above and i finally chose to use a CMS platform and buy web hosting and buy a domain, i then realised i made the best decision.

I am paying $57 a year for my Online E-commerce platform. I saved myself over $1500 just by downloading Filezilla, buying a web host, buying a domain and installing Magento Community.
    Ive always known how to create websites on dreamweaver etc.
    But i needed something quick and less - time consuming so i had to use a CMS or Shopify type of service, i ended up choosing a CMS and there pretty damn good.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: keeron Member since: Sep 6, 2013
  5. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,426 629
    Seriously, that's their Diamon flagship) product ....& if you're already at that level/scale of e-commerce business, then you'd be mad to try & 'wing it' with a free Open source package.

The package I'm looking at on Bigcommerce only costs £16 per month!!

PS As I went to get the pricing from the big commerce site, I saw this comment...
    My thoughts entirely!

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  6. RepricerExpress

RepricerExpress UKBF Regular Full Member

200 50
    Hi Keeron

I think Paul's point was that a large retailer who is 'starting out' in ecommerce might be spending too little at £10,000 (or not), a one-man band who is starting out in ecommerce could be paying too much if they're investing £5,000. Everybody's business needs are different, and as kulture mentioned, you have to start with your business needs before looking at the technology that's going to help.

Your post is very good, but everyone should undertake their own research and trials where appropriate. And it just doesn't cost £50 per year to run an online store—what about the staff required to run the website and what about the costs of bringing traffic to your store (quite possibly the biggest single ongoing cost of running a successful online store regardless of your size)?

Honestly a great post but it's always good to remind people that their own needs are unique and they should do a bit of homework if they're going into ecommerce seriously. :)

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 By: RepricerExpress Member since: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,692 822
    You have understood my post exactly.

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  8. LikeToHelp

LikeToHelp UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

33 8
    There are many DIY shopping carts but it takes a lot of time and a level of technical know-how for retailers to be able to setup their online shops optimally to help maximise selling products online. Leave that to the web professionals so you can concentrate on selling your products and focusing on the retail side of things. It's not just the online shop platform you need to think about. You need to consider Distance Selling Regulations (DSRs), payment gateways, online marketing, abandoned cart processes, retargeting, web design, SEO to name a few. Many shopping cart providers do not provide help with all the aspects retailers need to consider to sell online, some do.....

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 By: LikeToHelp Member since: Oct 2, 2013
  9. bumperman

bumperman UKBF Regular Free Member

123 9
    "But i needed something quick and less - time consuming so i had to use a CMS or Shopify type of service, i ended up choosing a CMS and there pretty damn good."

So.............

What CMS did you end up using???????

bumperman

Posted: Oct 8, 2013 By: bumperman Member since: Mar 8, 2006
  10. rBrody

rBrody UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 2
    Once you decide on your e-commerce platform, the next step is to start customizing of upgrading the platform to fit your needs. Magento makes it very easy to add extensions, directly on Magento connect without the hassle of coding.

When consumers shop on your eCommerce site, they expect an easy and quick payment process. Zooz’s Web Checkout 3.0 is the first web checkout extension that optimizes the payment process for e-commerce sites with a focus on the dynamic user experience. Even if a consumer can type credit card details from a keyboard, the five step Magento checkout still risks shopping cart abandonment. Prioritizing the user experience through a smart and simple web checkout is one of the easiest ways that you can raise your conversion rates.
    Zooz focuses on the consumer experience, and the best user interface. Its installment is hassle free, and includes PCI compliance. Zooz’s partnerships with leading global processors and payment gateways ensure that your company can grow with Zooz as you continue to enter new markets in cross-border e-commerce. Consumers can choose from payment options that match their local preferences including Credit Cards, Paypal, Dwolla, Qiwi, Klarna, and others.

Check out the Zooz website, zooz.com to learn about their payment solutions.

Posted: Oct 9, 2013 By: rBrody Member since: Oct 9, 2013
  11. adamo

adamo UKBF Regular Free Member

117 11
    Would be interested to hear which e-commerce solution you went with in the end! :)

Posted: Oct 11, 2013 By: adamo Member since: Jul 31, 2013
  12. Kata OS

Kata OS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    The AbanteCart is a good and free ecommerce software for my online store.
    It has a clear Admin Panel and friendly user interface. I don’t have special programming knowledge but I set up my online store without any problems. Also installation of extensions is very easy.
    Additionally, most of the extensions that others charge for such as pay-pal, shipping, etc., are free as well.

Posted: Oct 18, 2013 By: Kata OS Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  13. Kata OS

Kata OS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    I am an experienced user of shopping cart software. I had a Magento installed before, which was rather difficult to configure and manage. I have two online stores and I had a person who helped me to set up these stores. Now I use the AbanteCart and I manage all my stores myself! Everything work well!

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 By: Kata OS Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  14. keeron

54 6
    Hey there.

I am using Opencart at this moment in time, its a pretty solid CMS in my opinion. It has its bugs, but overall im satisfied with it. Im also opening an ebay store and maybe an amazon store, to reach all of the customers who simply love shopping on them sites.

I must admit i love shopping on ebay and amazon myself, i trust amazon and ebay alot.
    So i can see why Millions of people use both amazon and ebay.

My only problem with ebay, is that they take quite a large chunk of your sale, where as amazon doesnt take half as much. But i guess, ebay is like free advertisement as you can reach millions of people in just a couple of weeks.

I prefer amazon, just slightly more than ebay, as they dont take massive cuts of your sale.
    Paypal also takes a cut, which is owned by ebay, so Ebay are kind of greedy in that respect.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    Posted: Oct 27, 2013 By: keeron Member since: Sep 6, 2013
  15. JJWinst

JJWinst UKBF Regular Free Member

320 16
    Amazon fees are generally higher than eBay's ..

Posted: Oct 27, 2013 By: JJWinst Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  16. serpyre

serpyre UKBF Newcomer Free Member

80 5
    Is you want something that is very business friendly you have BigCommerce/Volusion(nasty fees)/Shopify(nice themes) which as SaaS, if you are more technical you have self-hosted which provides better growth but more work. There is osCommerce/Prestashop/Others which are generally sub $100,000 revenue per year solutions but can be 'pushed' further (we are provided all the figures in USD), next level is Magento CE up to $2million per year revenue but it is complex and you will easily lose a lot of time on the technical side if you do not keep it simple. The cross business/technical is self-hosted WordPress/WooCommerce. Magento provides the best architecture and themes, WooCommerce is more basic but does a very good job, Shopify have good themese but SaaS is not international selling friendly (multiple checkout currencies).

Look at BuiltWith, the higher the platform the more 'associative' benefits there are to the platform in each category once you have the hosting correct.

Not sure why there is a belief eBay has trust, it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that there are quite some fake products around, Amazon has better quality control. They did some tests, even the manufacturers had a hard time sometimes telling the difference, however the problem with small business sourcing is the lack of supply chain history. Take clothing for example, it is such an old fashioned business model on the supplier side, that there are very few sources which you can guarantee genuine sourcing. The problem is that original manufacturers are starting to clamp down for economic and prestiege reasons, which will put a squeeze on eBay going forward. They bought Magento trying to get in to the larger enteprise market, shame they did not realise that there are some fundamental issues with the platform (lack of dynamic pricing, no three-tier currencies) that stop it, for international sales it is one of the better ones though in the small business category.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Posted: Oct 28, 2013 By: serpyre Member since: Oct 28, 2013
  17. keeron

54 6
    I agree with you on the part about quality.

But when i said trust, i meant that Ebay is a trustworthy system, in the fact that if a seller doesn't deliver the correct product or your item never arrives, then you can use paypal or ebay's money back guarantee to get your money back.

I didn't mean the products are 100% Genuine etc..
    Amazon also seems to deal with customers problems.
    Ebay and Amazon are trustworthy, in my experience.

Regarding quality, Ebay has removed alot of knock off products that used to be on there, If you search for Fake Clothing you won't find many.

Im happy with my experience on ebay. BUT the fee's they charge is the only issue. But i guess your paying to reach Thousands if not millions of customers a day so it's worth it at the end of the day.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Posted: Nov 5, 2013 By: keeron Member since: Sep 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.