Tesco to trial Movie Booth DVD rental kiosk

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by The Movie Booth, May 14, 2008.

1. The Movie Booth

The Movie Booth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

168 5
    In the coming weeks shoppers of the UK and Ireland will be able to benefit from the deployment of robotically operated DVD vending kiosks, and one machine being launched as a trial in a Tesco Ireland store could see a huge growth in the concept in 2008. The kiosks, which offer users touch-screen access to a range of new release movies, will also be launched in Centra and Applegreen stores with an expected deployment across both the UK and Ireland should the trials prove successful.

The Movie Booth is a newly created brand which supplies DVD rental kiosks to retail stores throughout the UK and Ireland enabling users to rent movies on a pay-as-you-go basis from a fully automated machine, offering a modern alternative to the traditional high street DVD rental store.

The concept is the brainchild of award winning young entrepreneur Carlos Marco Rider, who noticed the gap in the DVD rental market and looked to develop a solution that could offer a convenient and cost-effective way for people to rent their favourite new release movies from their local shop.

Mr Rider commented, “The DVD rental market has faced big changes in recent years, and I felt that high street DVD rental services didn’t offer value to their customers. By eliminating space and staffing costs, our kiosks can offer some of the most competitive DVD rental prices in the UK and Ireland. To many people renting a DVD from a machine can be intimidating but these kiosks are designed to be completely user-friendly”.

He added, “Customers use a touch-screen system to select and rent their movies, and it takes three steps to rent a movie from the machine. These new kiosks have been designed with the end-user in mind and have several features which make renting a DVD a simple process. The partnerships we are developing with retailers should ensure we achieve substantial coverage across the UK and Ireland by the end of 2008”.

In an ever changing market, retail outlets could soon feature automated DVD kiosks as a way to benefit from the fall from grace of the traditional DVD rental store. Successful trials with Tesco, Centra and Applegreen would lead to national deployment of DVD kiosks in a parallel to the success they have achieved in the United States. DVD machines have experienced a massive growth in the USA with over 9000 kiosks being installed in the last two years with ease-of-use, convenience and cost being provided as the main reasons for the kiosks success. Kiosks are currently deployed in Wal-Mart’s, Wal-Greens and McDonalds to name but a few in the US. Further details on this concept can be found at www.themoviebooth.com or by calling 08701436769.

EDITORS NOTES
    - Initial trials of the kiosk will take place in Tesco, Centra and Applegreen stores.
    - The kiosks provide touch-screen access to new release movies with the price of all rentals being £2 for every 24 hours.
    - Carlos Marco Rider has pitched to the Dragons Den panel (declining a Richard Farleigh offer), is a two-time finalist for the Shell-Livewire Young Entrepreneur of the Year twice and also won the South West Angel and Investment Network (SWAIN) Young Entrepreneur award in 2007.
    - A direct interview with Carlos Marco Rider can be arranged upon request.

Posted: May 14, 2008 By: The Movie Booth Member since: Apr 23, 2008
  2. glennmid101

glennmid101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

219 8
    Personally, i think the future is downloads, espically for the rental sector.

Posted: May 15, 2008 By: glennmid101 Member since: Nov 12, 2007
  3. National Office Week

National Office Week UKBF Newcomer Free Member

81 2
    Well done for getting your product into Tesco's for its first trial.

Kim

Posted: May 15, 2008 By: National Office Week Member since: Apr 2, 2008
  4. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    top news... sounds exciting.

Posted: May 15, 2008 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  5. The Printed Bag Shop

The Printed Bag Shop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,175 64
    we have somthing like this where i live.

It is just like a cash machine.

Posted: May 15, 2008 By: The Printed Bag Shop Member since: Mar 13, 2007
  6. sm1

sm1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,507 504
    Well done, Can I ask does it hold the DVD's inside the machine or does it burn them to a disk?

Cheers

Posted: May 15, 2008 By: sm1 Member since: Oct 19, 2007
  7. The Movie Booth

The Movie Booth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

168 5
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

We've been snowed under here with our various launches, but I'm pleased to say everything has gone to plan so far and our initial feedback has been excellent.

In respone to Stefan - the kiosk holds DVDs inside - 621 to be exact. This is one of our benefits, as it holds a lot of DVDs in a very small space. Glen - downloads are on the up but they are still not in the mainstream, and won't be for a long while yet.

Posted: May 30, 2008 By: The Movie Booth Member since: Apr 23, 2008
  8. sm1

sm1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,507 504
    Great stuff and that's very clever holding that many!

Posted: May 30, 2008 By: sm1 Member since: Oct 19, 2007
  9. glennmid101

glennmid101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

219 8
    didnt mean to rain on your parade, but look at downloads, espically the rentals.

Posted: May 30, 2008 By: glennmid101 Member since: Nov 12, 2007
  10. creacom

creacom UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,338 35
    Fantastic idea and well done on getting into Tescos.

Totally agree about the downloads, they are not mainstream for the moment and "physical rental" if I can call it that is still popular.

Best of luck with it all.

Jacqui

Posted: Jun 14, 2008 By: creacom Member since: Oct 11, 2005
  11. themills01

themills01 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I brought one of these kiosks and ended up giving it away, 3 years on I am still paying off the £25K debt it left me!!!
    People who brought these kiosks are so desperate to get rid of them they even put them on eBay!! Take a look for yourself
    UPDATE 03/06/11 THE MOVIE BOOTH HAS GONE BUST, all investors have lost their cash, Carlos Marco Rider two companies both gone under, will he win another young entrepreneur of the year award??

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 By: themills01 Member since: Nov 25, 2009