telephone sales - the scum of capitalism

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Estimator, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    No-one's mentioned unsolicited fax's.

I get dozens of those. They can take up all the memory of my duff fax machine so legit ones can't get through.

Still, with so many things in this world that can stress you out and p**s you off I guess you just learn to pick your fights.:)

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  2. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Unsolicited fax marketing is illegal and carries heavy penalties. If you ever feel the need to "get even", just report a few of them.

Steve

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  3. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,451 3,074
    I'd have a little more sympathy for the telesales industry if they formed an industry trade association, published and policed a Code of Practice and campaigned to Ofcom and the telco industry for real regulation in the area.

Until they do that, they can't justifiably call themselves a profession and they will continue to be mostly hated by those they call. At the moment the few good guys are utterly swamped by the many bad to the extent that they risk removing their own market by alienating the entire population.

Get organised chaps - it's better business.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  4. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,427 3,561
    Are you aware that there is a Fax Preference Service, which does the same for faxes as TPS for telephone calls?

We registered a few years back and have had next to no spam faxes coming through.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  5. Beachcomber

6,730 3,012
    Yes, I did try that - seems there are plenty of overseas companies willing to spam on behalf of UK companies!

6. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,114 1,309
    You asked where you were being rude. Well, here's where I think you were rude. You specifically said that the chap is part of the problem.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  7. The Panda

The Panda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

703 154
    Seems to me that the only people defending telephone sales are the people that do telephone sales.
    About 4 weeks ago I had a call from Yell.com.
    2 hours later the same and again and again.
    For around 5 days this went on. Call after call from different girls.
    I was never rude but the frustration of saying the same thing over and over.
    I get calls for all kinds of things business related.
    I dont need them, I tell them so but they go on and on insisting they ring me back sometime soon.
    I go to my customers and do not pressure.
    They either say yes or no.
    I use every sales method except cold calling or tele sales. I find both intrusive on peoples lives.
    OK maybe one every so often is acceptable but the problems and frustrations occur when it is 3 or 4 or more in my case every day.
    Morning noon and night.
    It is hard to stay polite. I manage to be polite but can well understand others loosing it a bit.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: The Panda Member since: Apr 16, 2008
  8. Beachcomber

6,730 3,012
    Nope.
    Personally, after the 3rd call I would have asked to speak to a supervisor, explained the situation and asked them to ensure no further calls are made - no need for the problem to persist over 5 days.

What I find really interesting about this discussion is not the pro's / con's of telemarketing but how some people react with anger and/or agression with rather little provocation. Some very loose cannons out there.

9. Will-man Rodders

Will-man Rodders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

150 40
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: Will-man Rodders Member since: Jan 27, 2008
  10. spigwell

spigwell UKBF Newcomer Full Member

654 180
    Oh come on !!!

Do you in all honesty think the caller is going to pass you over to the supervisor?
    Do you also believe the supervisor will physically remove your name and business from the list?
    What would happen if the supervisor said sorry but there is nothing they could do?
    What would you do if the supervisor promised to sort it out for you, then horror of horrors you received a call the very next day?
    What if you spoke to the supervisor on a daily basis and still nothing was sorted out.

I'd hate it for you to become a loose cannon!

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: spigwell Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  11. spigwell

spigwell UKBF Newcomer Full Member

654 180
    What a shame it is that no one will bother to register.

I just read it and it actually identifies many of the problems that have already been mentioned within this thread. If these rules (or suggestions) were followed then I think it would appease most people.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: spigwell Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  12. NICHOLASM1987

NICHOLASM1987 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

94 4
    i agree, being rude is the best way

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: NICHOLASM1987 Member since: Oct 31, 2009
  13. The Panda

The Panda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

703 154
    I did ask to be removed after a few calls.
    When they kept coming I asked why and explained they had rang me on so many other occasions.
    They appologised and said it was an admin error and they were not supposed to ring this many times.
    They rang again and again.
    It did stop after a few days, eventually.
    Only today I have had 3 calls.
    One for van insurance.
    One for a doctors surgery advert and one for web site seo from a on line directory, and thats a Sunday.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: The Panda Member since: Apr 16, 2008
  14. Will-man Rodders

Will-man Rodders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

150 40
    Yes, it's like my industry. Trade bodies are great, but unless they have any clout they often become an additional expense to the 'good guys' - and the 'cowboys' continue on regardless. And the general public continue to suffer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: Will-man Rodders Member since: Jan 27, 2008
  15. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,451 3,074
    Brilliant. How many here are members?

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.