telephone sales - the scum of capitalism

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Estimator, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spongebob

Spongebob UKBF Ace Free Member

2,158 1,086
    If it is genuinely a potential supplier of goods or services to my business phoning to try to make an appointment to come and see me then I have no problem at all with it.

The pre-recorded ones however, are just a joke. What can be their hit rate? A millionth of one percent?

The ones that really bug me though, the ones that provoke the most violent reaction in me, are the ones that go;

'Good Morning, can I speak to the owner of the business please?'

'Yes, how can I help?' (Me being polite as it could be a customer)

'Is that yourself? How are you this morning?' (I can now feel my blood pressure begining to rise)

'I was fine until you phoned with your insulting platitudes. What are you selling?'

'I'm not selling anything. This is a courtesy call from XXXXXXXX and...

'Well goodbye* then' ____________*or similar:)

SLAM

It is the sheer incompetence of the approach that astounds me. They have about two seconds to command my interest and attention yet they all blow it completely by reading from a totally crap script!

I have never been called by a competent telesales operative. Do they exist?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: Spongebob Member since: Dec 9, 2008
  2. silvermusic

silvermusic UKBF Ace Free Member

2,162 586
    For the product I sell (£5-£15 range) people don't phone. I had my phone number on my site for the first two years and got nothing but junk calls. Previous to that I always had a phone number on eBay listings, same again apart from a few muppets wanting to haggle prices.

So, sorry but it doesn't work for me. If/when i do change what I sell then certainly it's worth considering.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Connections_Media

Connections_Media UKBF Newcomer Free Member

375 42
    What's your number

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: Connections_Media Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  4. spigwell

spigwell UKBF Newcomer Full Member

654 180
    Actually they do.

You will find they are the ones who have no need to justify their actions, they will never (or very rarely) have abuse and bad manners rammed down their throats whilst making a call. Any negatives said on the phone to them will just be brushed aside and they will continue as if every call is the first one of the day.

yes they do exist, sadly though it is in small numbers.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: spigwell Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. Connections_Media

375 42
    At least someone understands that not all telesales calls are from idiots...

6. silvermusic

silvermusic UKBF Ace Free Member

2,162 586
    Indeed. I have a relative who does it for a living for a dental supplies firm. Their calls tend to be very specifically targeted and done in a professional manner for obvious reasons.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  7. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,114 1,309
    The problem is I think is that too many people are trained to try and sell in one phone call. I like the two call approach:

First call is to ask for the name of the person you should speak to (so you can call them back) and to gauge any initial interest. A script that goes something like:

Me: "Good morning. My name is Ashley and I am not sure who I need to talk to. If I tell you the reason for my call could you help me?"

Gatekeeper: "Certainly". [What person is going to refuse to help at this point?]

Me: "Thank you. Briefly, my firm provides a service whereby we answer your calls when staff are too busy or are away, etc. Could you kindly suggest is the best person to deal with this, so I can call them back in a couple of weeks?"

Now, at this point, one of three things will probably happen. You will either be told the firm isn't interested, you will be told the name of the person, or you might even be speaking to the relevant person.

Whatever happens (aside from finding out you are speaking to the right person) you thank the person in a polite way and hang up.

You now know one of two things: either the name of the person you need to speak to when you phone in a week or so, or the firm isn't interested. Whichever, you've kept the call as short as possible, asked for help and then thanked them.

When you do call back and ask for the person, again you ask for "permission" to make your sales pitch, etc.

Why should any of that be met with a rude response?

[All of this information comes from "I'd Rather Have a Root Canal Than Do Cold Calling" by Shawn A. Greene]

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  8. spigwell

spigwell UKBF Newcomer Full Member

654 180

My problem is that the majority of calls i get go nothing like that. If they did then I am sure that the amount of people who dislike telesales would drop by a large number. And the amount of abuse would be significantly less.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: spigwell Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  9. Connections_Media

375 42
    I know I'm only young with limited experience at 20 but I know that most people when faced with a very professional sales person will usually meet with a professional response.

It is the scripts and huge call centres that employ people who haven't got a clue how to speak to people that give alot of sales people a bad name.

10. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,434 281
    Many telesales people are rude! They are on automated services calling 12 at a time and talk to the first person only that answers. Also when they find that 'the owner of the business is not in' they hang up!
    The caller needs to be straight and to the point, in the opening sentence to have a chance!

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  11. Will-man Rodders

Will-man Rodders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

150 40
    Many years ago I was 'warm' calling existing clients of the firm I then worked for. I rang this one number - but no one answered.

11.45 pm that night our phone rings. I answer and this voice asks 'Did you call me tonight?' I answered 'I might have done, I did some calls. I work for XYZ company ...' Before I had chance to finish my sentence I was given a whole host of expletives which finally ended with 'I hope I woke you and your family up' - and down went the phone. 10 minutes later the phone went again ... 'Did you say you worked for XYZ?' asked the same caller.
    'Yes.'
    'I have a policy with them.'
    'That is why I called you' I replied.

Sadly, rudeness is not just the domain of the cold caller.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: Will-man Rodders Member since: Jan 27, 2008
  12. gessoandgold

gessoandgold UKBF Newcomer Free Member

111 10
    I've done b2b cold calling quite a bit and everyone I've spoken to has been really nice and helpful even if they weren't interested. Which makes me happy, because I'm very delicate ...

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: gessoandgold Member since: Oct 11, 2009
  13. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    I'm still waiting.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  14. happyoutdoors

happyoutdoors UKBF Regular Free Member

122 20
    This reminds me that absolute cost / price is NOT the only reason why people choose one supplier compared to another, but rather how they go about their business.

If a sign written vehicle 'cuts us up' when we are gadding about the nation's roads, I add them to the list of companies I will never do business with.

Similarly unsolicted phone calls from companies that have already been told NO umpteen times, I consider that to be pretty rude.

If I state, I don't want to advertise in XYZ publication / online directory today, tomorrow or anytime before I die, I don't expect to keep receiving the same sales call / spam. That is, which bit of NO don't you understand.

I can wholly understand why telesales get a hard time, often we can feel under seige / attack. When we feel like that we get defensive and if we are tired, we can get angry, then we say, "Pain, pain go away and don't come back another day!"

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: happyoutdoors Member since: Jan 8, 2009
  15. happyoutdoors

happyoutdoors UKBF Regular Free Member

122 20
    Yep it tells me the DIy engraving, is just not as popular as it could be!:D

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: happyoutdoors Member since: Jan 8, 2009
  16. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

nicely contradicts itself - you really should check first.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  17. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    now tell me where you have the right to disturb me in the 1st place? ............. THATS why you get abused (in a not rude at all fashion) unfortunatly been deaf to the word "no" is seen as a good thing in your industry and then YOU lecture others about customer service - priceless

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  18. gogojonny

gogojonny UKBF Newcomer Free Member

210 29
    How would you feel if someone walked into your business and started speaking to you, trying to sell something. No appoinment, no permission. You could be in the middle of a busy day. I used to take bookings for a busy company and each telesales call stopped a genuine customers from booking with us, a service which many people relied on.

You make it out like we should feel sorry for telesales? At the end of the day they are selling something which does not sell itself. They need to get an agreement over the phone because if they saw the product / service or person in the flesh then they would run a mile.

There's so much lying in this industry. People ring up 'Oh hello it's Bob, is Clive around', like Clive is their best mate (Clive who happens to be the CEO or manager). When asked what it is about - 'Oh he asked me to call him today'. I never buy from these unethical people.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: gogojonny Member since: May 30, 2007
  19. Successful Selling

Successful Selling UKBF Newcomer Free Member

293 50
    This post is interesting.

From the day I started working in telesales (around ten years ago) I was always taught it's a numbers game. No matter how good I was, there would always be a certain percentage who (for various reasons) are not interested in listening to what I had to say.

To this day, that rule still remains the same.

However over the last 10 yrs, I've managed to make a lot of money for most of the business I've worked for and for myself.

If you don't like cold callers don't lose sleep over it. I don't.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: Successful Selling Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  20. GreatSEO

GreatSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,571 371
    Thought I best say something coming from the Ilk lol.

I have been selling and consulting over the phone for years now and so far it has been done very succesfully. Admittedly I started out in Double glazing and hated every minute but over the years I have managed to refine my message and look at the process that I use to make it a lot better. With the years has come experience and today I would say I am one of a few select people that has the ability to drive any business forward with my approach.

I get the odd person that is not interested but have not had anyone be rude to me now for over 4 years. I guess because I am polite, well mannered, well spoken and stick to a set of rules that seperate me from the Ilk.

I also make sure that my prospecting is well thought out and ensures that prtty much 100% of the time I am bang on the bullseye.

I consult I don't sell. I find a need and offer a solution and I guess that is why I have managed to achieve what I have thus far.

Anyways to sum up -

Is there really any need to be rude (I could be that guy stood beside you down the local)
    Yes the telemarketers need more training it makes my skin cringe when they call for CC, loans etc etc (different creed)
    I am only earning my crust just as everyone else does....
    Sometimes it has been really beneficial for the prospect to talk to me (not all of the time but 1 in 3 I would say)
    A great way of gaining business trust me alone I have done way over 10 million in my career for me and my clients combined.

Hope that helps

Dave

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: GreatSEO Member since: Mar 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.