Takeaway deliveries vs Grocer online

momon121

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
I have an online presence delivering discount confectionery locally to BB postcode. Since adapting our business into a hybrid model we haven’t seen the huge increase off online sales.

What we have witnessed is that the takeaway deliveries have shot through the roof. Our customers are primarily on the lower income band and surprisingly they have the funds to pay for evening hot meals regularly.

Are we missing a trick here ? I know some of the will have promo codes with ubereats etc we also provide super delivery service and prices that nobody can match.

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
I have an online presence delivering discount confectionery locally to BB postcode. Since adapting our business into a hybrid model we haven’t seen the huge increase off online sales.

What we have witnessed is that the takeaway deliveries have shot through the roof. Our customers are primarily on the lower income band and surprisingly they have the funds to pay for evening hot meals regularly.

Are we missing a trick here ? I know some of the will have promo codes with ubereats etc we also provide super delivery service and prices that nobody can match.

Isn't takeaway deliveries all that can be done with premises so far?

Upvote 0

momon121

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry for the poor explanation above:-

basically I can’t understand why the hot food takeaway deliveries are enjoying a massive surge in demand and businesses like ours who have an online presences and provide online fast deliveries is not as busy with deliveries compared to takeaways.

hope that helps

Upvote 0

japancool

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013

basically I can’t understand why the hot food takeaway deliveries are enjoying a massive surge in demand and businesses like ours who have an online presences and provide online fast deliveries is not as busy with deliveries compared to takeaways.

hope that helps

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to eat confectionary every day.

And confectionary doesn't spoil as fast. I can buy a week's worth of chocolate in one go and store it. Furthermore my local shop is still open and I can go there and get whatever sweets I need, or get them delivered with my regular supermarket online shop.

It's very rare that I think "Oh, I need a Cadbury's Creme Egg today and I must get it delivered."

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle

hope that helps
Hot food takeaway deliveries are taking the place of peole eating out in restaurants. Confectionery deliveries are taking the place of ......... buying sweets in shops that are open.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling

hope that helps

I buy takeaways probably 30 plus times a year, I buy confectionary online maybe a couple of times.

A takeaway is, for us, a meal. Confectionary is a treat but not something we want to eat very often.

Upvote 0

momon121

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Hot food takeaway deliveries are taking the place of peole eating out in restaurants. Confectionery deliveries are taking the place of ......... buying sweets in shops that are open.
I get that with the absent of people eating out next best thing on the list is the takeaway however to narrow my question it’s mainly the consumers at lower income bracket or on benefit who frequenting the takeaways regularly. I know this because I’m on a Facebook group where they review local take aways and many I know about their financial statuses and it’s mind boggling how they can afford takeouts 3/4 times a week.

Upvote 0

momon121

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to eat confectionary every day.

And confectionary doesn't spoil as fast. I can buy a week's worth of chocolate in one go and store it. Furthermore my local shop is still open and I can go there and get whatever sweets I need, or get them delivered with my regular supermarket online shop.

It's very rare that I think "Oh, I need a Cadbury's Creme Egg today and I must get it delivered."

I’m so grateful thank you so much - this is why I love this forum because sometimes the apparent and obvious what is mentioned above momentarily slips away from our thoughts. With this is mind I can now better plan and target my customers.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
I get that with the absent of people eating out next best thing on the list is the takeaway however to narrow my question it’s mainly the consumers at lower income bracket or on benefit who frequenting the takeaways regularly. I know this because I’m on a Facebook group where they review local take aways and many I know about their financial statuses and it’s mind boggling how they can afford takeouts 3/4 times a week.

Yes - the people on the low income bracket have xxx amount per week to spend.
Besides the mobile phone, the sky system, the netflix subscription, the alcohol, the cigarettes - they have to eat too.

And sometimes they give up some luxuries in order to be able to have a takeaway.
Or they'll have additional money from somewhere or someone. 15 year old on a grand a week giving his family £100 of it towards bills while they are on benefit so they'll keep washing his clothes and keep his room tidy....

Upvote 0
There is, of course, little overlap between take away - a still growing sector - and confectionary.

I probably spend close to zero on confectionary, but do enjoy a take away from time to time. Especially now there is a big range of places doing take away to replace the fact they have been closed for some time.

Upvote 0
Our customers are primarily on the lower income band and surprisingly they have the funds to pay for evening hot meals regularly.

I think the reference to lower income people being able to afford stuff is a red herring. It would make for an interesting discussion, if people were willing to do that calmly, but probably doesn't help get your business up and running.

It depends, for example, on how you are cutting the statistics. Some of us might regard someone on £24k as a lower income family. Some of us might not - but in reality, they would be in the higher 50% of earners in the UK. And might, apart from in London, be able to stretch to a bag of chips from time to time.

Upvote 0

Interestedobserver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2020

Lots of people have/had spare money they wouldn't normally have as they can't go out to spend that money at pubs, restaurants, holidays etc

Reactions: ecommerce84
Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
I think the reference to lower income people being able to afford stuff is a red herring. It would make for an interesting discussion, if people were willing to do that calmly, but probably doesn't help get your business up and running.

It depends, for example, on how you are cutting the statistics. Some of us might regard someone on £24k as a lower income family. Some of us might not - but in reality, they would be in the higher 50% of earners in the UK. And might, apart from in London, be able to stretch to a bag of chips from time to time.
Possibly even with a little fish, occasionally.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu