Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Tagging users?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Noah, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Support private tagging of individual posters?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. "It's me, isn't it?"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Noah

Noah UKBF Regular Free Member

476 103
    Is there any way on this forum to privately categorise a poster in some way? e.g. something that reminds me (and no-one else) when seeing a specific participant - "knowledgeable", or perhaps "not knowledgeable", as it may be?

If not, does anyone else think this would be a helpful function?

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  2. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,005 179
    You can 'Ignore' anyone who you feel doesn't contribute and you can 'follow' anyone who you feel does contribute. Just open the individual's profile and click either.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,534 8,432
    As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, I'd get 'blithering idiot' tag. Or 'troll', I get called that a lot as well.

Not sure it would work though, you would get lots of 'not knowledgeable' tags from people who don't like you.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,391 773
    I generally use the person's own posts and the posts of others in relation to what they post as a guide as to whether they are knowledgeable or not. Until such time as I can check out the situation myself.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Noah

476 103
    I'm aware of those options, and am looking for something more sophisticated.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  6. Noah

476 103
    Not realistic to search and read every poster's history every time one reads a thread; point is to store something for quick reference based on previous experience of a specific poster's contributions.

7. Noah

476 103
    As I said, private - you would never know I had you tagged as "doesn't read the question"!

It is specifically not a popularity system.

8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,391 773

If you were to post replies that other posters insisted were wrong or bad then I could evaluate your post based on that. Do it enough times like that and may well evaluate you on the posts I see getting bad comments.
    Might not see your good posts at all.

I do not bother reading posters history, I do bother reading what they say on a thread I am reading.
    Do it long enough you get a sense of the poster.

A number earnt my respect over time, I may disagree with them or seek to learn more about something from them.
    The ones who come across badly I will not usually bother with.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Kat Haylock

Kat Haylock Community Editor Staff Member

430 195
    To my knowledge, the Ignore function is the only tag that's specific to you. I've looked up other options for tagging before, but they're always public (similar to the Like and Useful tabs) and, like fisicx has said, there's the possibility they might get exploited.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Kat Haylock Member since: Jul 11, 2016
  10. Noah

476 103
    Can this be taken as an enhancement request then please?

Summary spec. : A feature to allow a brief text string ("tag") to be associated with a specific profile; said text string (and even the existence of) visible only to the member who created that tag.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009