Sweet shop legal requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonR

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
Hiya everyone, are there legal requirements when opening a sweet shop? I want to open a sweet shop but a traditional one not one that sells chocolate bars etc, i want to sell just weighed sweets out of jars but i'm transferring the sweets from the original jar to glass ones. I also have a candy buffet and candy tree business that i am going to incorporate with it, i haven't a clue what it is that is required of me and would appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

thanks Sharon

mhall

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Midlands
As long as you are operating from premises with the correct planning permission, there are no legal requirements other than pretty obvious ones:

1. Don't misuse other peoples Trademarks - (don't sell "honey comb crunch" as "Crunchie" for example)

2. If you are selling "by the quarter", the Euro idiots insist you also have metric measurements

3. If you employ someone you must have employers liability Insurance

4. You must register and pay tax and National Insurance

5. You must keep proper records.

6. Make sure your hygiene is good. (and for you, I doubt that is actually a legal requirement)

Other than that- go for it.

Upvote 0
Just to add to what mhall has said.

Don't ignore your customer's requirement to ask for a quarter of whatever they want, we've got a sign that shows the equivalents between grams and ounces, many people ask for a quarter and we tell them that'll be approx 113 grams, it's amazing how many 113 gram bags we sell rather than the 100 grams that all our weigh-outs are priced at. Every extra 13p adds to the bottom line!

Don't buy the cheapest sweets, wherever possible go for the names, they are a big selling point because people remember them from their childhood.

Environmental health will visit you at some stage although you don't need to tell them if you're only selling sweets. If you're selling ice cream then you do as it's classed as a food. Make sure you've got all the necessary "now wash your hands" signs up, make sure you've got plenty of soap and nail brushes etc.. We also keep a dispenser of hand gel (like they have in hospitals) both at the sinks and under the counter, customers like to see you use that occasionally.

As in any shop, you need to do a fire risk assessment, get your extinguishers properly mounted with the correct signs plus fire exit signs and assembly point signs.

It's not a requirement but consider taking one of the online food hygiene courses. They're about 25 quid plus vat and it looks good framed and hung on the wall. We've even paid for our part time staff to do one and customers do occasionally comment on them.

Don't completely discount "ordinary" chocolate. People have got to buy it somewhere and they may as well buy it from you. We don't sell shedloads but enough to make it worthwhile, especially things like Caramac which is often difficult to find. Likewise drinks, many people buy a drink alongside their sweets.

Be prepared to open all hours! We open 7 days a week, 9 - 5.30 Tuesday to Saturday, 10 - 5.30 Monday (got to get the weekend's takings in the bank!) and 10 - 4 on Sunday. We have 4 churches in our village and catch a lot of custom after morning service.

Feel free to pm me if you want any other information.

Upvote 0

SharonR

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for all your advice, i really appreciate it...starting out is very stressful but i'm sure once i'm open it will be fine. I am opening in Liverpool so unless you are from here i don't think i will affect your business ;) I also make candy trees and candy buffets which was the sole reason of opening a shop, the traditional sweetshop was just to make the rent up so to speak. I open this coming Sunday by invitation only and then properly on the Monday to the public, fingers crossed all goes well and i make a success of it.

Upvote 0

MyAccountantOnline

Legacy Full Member
Sep 24, 2008
UK
www.myaccountantonline.co.uk
Hiya everyone, are there legal requirements when opening a sweet shop? I want to open a sweet shop but a traditional one not one that sells chocolate bars etc, i want to sell just weighed sweets out of jars but i'm transferring the sweets from the original jar to glass ones. I also have a candy buffet and candy tree business that i am going to incorporate with it, i haven't a clue what it is that is required of me and would appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

thanks Sharon

Hi Sharon

You may find your local council provide quite a bit of useful information - might be worth checking the councils website.

Reactions: SharonR
Upvote 0

MyAccountantOnline

Legacy Full Member
Sep 24, 2008
UK
www.myaccountantonline.co.uk
That would be my next question. Although it won't be very near me as the two empty units in our high street are unsuitable. One is far too small and the other one is far too expensive!

Spend a day near the shop you are looking at and just see how many people pass in a typical day - location is SO important for a sweet shop.

Reactions: SharonR
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu