Surplus hrs and bank holidays

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Kevin Traynor, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Kevin Traynor

Kevin Traynor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi. .not sure right forum but hope someone can advise.. I work part of security team at University. On full contract and annualised hours. 1,820 hrs. We work 12 hrs shift pattern. On average 36 hrs a week. Our rota provides a standard 1404hrs over 52 weeks. The 416 hrs that are left are classed as surplus hrs and we have to reduce this over the 52 weeks to cover other staff members leave etc. From the 416 we can reduce this by taking off the 8 bank holidays and 3 days Christmas period leave . Close down that the University gives. This total is calculated as 11 days x 7hrs. A total of 77 hrs off our surplus hrs.

My question is shouldn't this be 11 days at 12 hrs not 7 hrs as a normal days holiday for us to take is 12hrs. This would mean we have 132 hrs instead of 77hrs. When we apply for leave its calculated in 12 hrs.

Many thanks
    Kevin

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Kevin Traynor Member since: Mar 9, 2018
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

9,687 2,448
    On a 36 hour week you are entitled to 201.6 hours of paid leave. You get 132 for 8 bank holiday plus 3 days Christmas closedown (assuming you are paid for all of those) so you should get another 69.6 days paid leave. That is the statutory minimum you must get. You are getting more than that if you get another 77 hours.

Edit: Sorry, just re-read your post. I don't know why they calculater those 11 days as 77 hours, but presumably it is because you only work a 3 day week, so would not normally be working every one of those 11 days.

I suggest you ask them how it is calculated. and make sure that you are paid for 201.6 hours holiday each year.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Kevin Traynor

3 0
    Thank you for your advice.. Sorry we work on average 35 hrs a week. 1820hrs a year / 52 weeks giving average of 35. I receive 182 hrs holiday 26 days.. Our weeks hrs varies a lot because of the surplus hrs that are added when we cover leave periods or other staff. I can add our rota here if anyone willing to look.

Me and our other staff members in our team don't think it's right that they only give us our bank holidays and 3 shut down days as a 7 hrs not 12 hrs..

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,048 915
    The legal minimum is 28 days. That's including bank holidays, so figure 20 plus bank holidays.

Does your contract set out the holidays in terms of total days or does it set out in hours?

I

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Newchodge

9,687 2,448
    You actually work 39.2 hours per week on average - you divide the annual total by 46.4 weeks as you do not work on 5.6 weeks holiday. So you should get 219.7 hours holiday. You and your mates are having the wrong argument. I suggest that you join a union, I would recommend UNISON and after you have all joined, get them to fight for your proper holidays.

6. Kevin Traynor

3 0
    Thank you both! I'm not sure if states hrs or days for holiday entitlement but will be taking a look.

That sounds interesting too about the holiday entitlement being longer..

7. Newchodge

9,687 2,448
    If you are on annualised hours it has to be calculated hourly.