Support for employees who are victims of crime?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by sixtyeight, May 24, 2021.

1. sixtyeight

sixtyeight UKBF Newcomer

32 0
    HI,

I have an employee who was the victim of an unprovoked assault and will be off work around 8 weeks.
    Employment contracts state that only statutory sick pay is paid regardless of the circumstances.
    I am trying to find out if there is any kind of victim support for the employee.
    I would prefer to be in a position to help myself but as a business we can't afford it.
    Thanks

Posted: May 24, 2021 By: sixtyeight Member since: Dec 15, 2017
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    The only 'support' would be criminal injuries compensation, and that takes time. 'Victim Support' is the title given to the serice sometimes provided when the victim of a crime has to appear at court to give evidence.

Support, in reality, is non-existent.

Posted: May 24, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. sixtyeight

sixtyeight UKBF Newcomer

32 0
    I thought that might be the case.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: May 24, 2021 By: sixtyeight Member since: Dec 15, 2017
  4. IanSuth

IanSuth UKBF Big Shot

595 165
    Beware of unintended consequences of giving them a hand out as well. I knew someone who had a bike crash which damaged their leg and led to them taking time off work. Company moved heaven and earth to accommodate them doing a different role when they first returned (so they didnt need to go upstairs in a full cast and external fixator), when it came to calculating the compensation they were due the at fault drivers insurer tried to argue down the payout on the grounds the fact he had been able continue work meant a lesser detriment had been caused than was claimed.
    If he had sat at home he could have claimed all his lost pay from the insurer
    So if your employee is likely to be able to claim money from the assailant or an insurer you may have to be careful anything you provide in the interim is carefully put in writing as a hardship loan (explain why to the victim)

Posted: May 24, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Owen Parry

Owen Parry UKBF Newcomer

32 5
    As Newchoge stated the process is usually that any costs as a direct result of the assault are levied with the charges as a criminal court, so any time off work, extra travel costs etc.
    One thing that hasn't been discussed but is definitely worth bearing in mind when something like this happens is the mental health repercussions on the member of staff, getting assaulted can result in panic attacks and severe anxiety. It may not be your direct responsibility as an employer however if they are a valued worker it's worth making extra time to ensure they're ok. Local councils offer mental health services for free often as well as this if you have a company health plan it may come as part of that.
    Horrid to hear of it happening, wishing them a speedy recovery and wellbeing.

Posted: May 24, 2021 By: Owen Parry Member since: Apr 8, 2021