Struggling when things go quiet

Discussion in 'Cashflow forum' started by NBennett, Jun 2, 2016.

1. NBennett

NBennett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    We are a new business who set up in a new area, and have a commercial unit which currently operates as a tyre supplier and fitters with mechanical work on the side.

The area is very hit and miss, we can have a busy few days or week, then other times its ridiculously quiet. I know its early days but we can't keep up this level of not knowing when the next person will come through the door. All neighbouring businesses also say its quiet.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has rented a commercial unit as to ideas with what we can use the area for. We want to diversify into car sales and imports but need to bring in more revenue.

We are struggling to pay our overheads at the moment.

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 By: NBennett Member since: Jun 2, 2016
  2. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,006 1,532
    What marketing are you doing?

d

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  3. NBennett

5 0
    E-leaflets to local businesses and trades
    Walk ins to local businesses and trades
    Paid membership to Yell which we regret
    Social media -Facebook and Twitter
    Advertising at the local football ground
    Leaflets although we've stopped leaflet dropping to homes
    Vehicle is sign written

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 By: NBennett Member since: Jun 2, 2016
  4. RedEvo

6,006 1,532
    Adwords?

d

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  5. NBennett

5 0
    I've never really got my head around that one

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 By: NBennett Member since: Jun 2, 2016
  6. RedEvo

6,006 1,532
    Find a local company with AdWords expertise and speak to them. It's instant and turn on and offable. Unlike your other marketing which is a bit hit and hope, AdWords will put your offer in front of people looking for it.

d

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  7. John Crowder

John Crowder UKBF Contributor Free Member

44 7
    I'd be looking to get some commercial contracts. Leasing companies, recovery, fleets, taxis and also council contracts.

And the other day the hand car wash noticed my tyre was a bit bald - but they didnt point me in the direction of a tyre place - even though there was one about 10 doors down.

Also and appreciate its not for everyone but my local BNI chapter of which I'm a member is in the same business and he gets steady trade from the members because its an easy referral for them to give and spot, but also members have got him commercial contracts.

Join a large local group. Youll get to visit any chapters a couple of times free.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 By: John Crowder Member since: Jun 6, 2016
  8. John Crowder

John Crowder UKBF Contributor Free Member

44 7
    Perhaps to generate income you could encourage either some mobile professional to use your facilities - chips and dent guys alooys and the like or perhaps allow the facilities to be used DIY like pitstartgarage dot com or self-service-garage dot co dot uk

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 By: John Crowder Member since: Jun 6, 2016
  9. makeyourbusinessbetter

makeyourbusinessbetter UKBF Regular Free Member

119 29
    Hope things have improved since you posted in June.

You could try the following;

1. In your sales invoices folder you have the names and addresses of customers who have used you recently. They know where you are and the services you provide. Mailshot them now. Winter is coming and people will be checking their tyres. Offer a pre-winter check for cars and vans too. Why not ask them to refer a friend too.
    2. You could see if you could share your unit with someone who provides a service that complements yours. Maybe a panelbeater or someone who fits signage to vehicles, even a car wash. They will bring potential customers to your premises without competing directly with what you do. You will also receive a regular monthly income from the rent for part of your unit. Check with your landlord that you are allowed to do so first.
    Good luck with your business.

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 By: makeyourbusinessbetter Member since: May 14, 2013
  10. profitxchange

profitxchange UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 192
    we have a local garage that buys vans and rejuvenates them to sell on, uses spare time and gets an income.

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 By: profitxchange Member since: Apr 16, 2005